• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Temperature control when entertaining

alwang

I consider myself a decent amateur cook, but I find when cooking for moderate-to-large crowds that I consistently have problems getting all of the dishes to the table while they're still optimally warm. I know part of it is just good organization and having a thorough mise, but I'm curious whether people have any particular tips on organizing those last few minutes before serving, and making sure all the dishes are reaching the diners' mouths while they're still at their best. Particular challenges:

- I do a fair amount of sous vide, where the food isn't very hot to begin with. Therefore, it cools to an unacceptable level even more quickly.

- When resting meat, how do you prevent the temp from dropping too low?

- When I'm plating individual portions instead of family-style, I have even more problems in getting everything served on time.

Do pre-warmed plates make a big difference (not something I regularly do)? What's the easiest way to do that at home?

---

al wang

Prewarmed plates make all the difference! Well, at least in the home kitchen.

Easiest way to warm: Put in oven or in the microwave. Get them really hot, not lukewarm (but not so hot that they crack or the food sizzles - 70C/160F perhaps). Be careful when you take them out, use oven mitts!

There are also electric plate warmers, looks like an electric heating pad. Made out of thick cloth and heating elements, you place the plates between the folds. Good when you need your oven and microwave for making/heating the actual food!

Note 1: The microwave plate warming trick was thought to me by a professional cook. I use it. But putting stuff in your microwave that has no water in it is supposed to be bad, overheating or something. Don't blame me...

Note 2: Yes I use the microwave during "service". For reaheating prepared garnishes or reheating mashed potatoes.

Edit: I've also though about where to rest meat. A big roast is not a problem, but steaks?

Edited by TheSwede (log)

I bought an infrared heat lamp used by beauticians & chicken farmers on an anglepoise from ebay for £10.

I let it warm up, then use on pre-heated plates, a good combination that works well, especially if your into fancy pants plating.

The dishwasher is an old secret. I have used mine to warm dishes for years. :smile:

"Flay your Suffolk bought-this-morning sole with organic hand-cracked pepper and blasted salt. Thrill each side for four minutes at torchmark haut. Interrogate a lemon. Embarrass any tough roots from the samphire. Then bamboozle till it's al dente with that certain je ne sais quoi."

Arabella Weir as Minty Marchmont - Posh Nosh

that's strange ... none of my plates get at all warm in the microwave (unless there's food or something on them to conduct the heat).

I was actually surprised by this suggestion, since my understanding of how microwaves work is that the waves cause the water molecules to vibrate, which then gets transmitted to nearby non-water molecules. So I would not expect a plate to get hot from microwaving. Of course, I've been known to be mistaken... :huh:

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Plates should not warm in a Microwave. If they do it is a sign that they are not microwave safe. This is the test you do with pottery.

My soup looked like an above ground pool in a bad neighborhood.

that's strange ... none of my plates get at all warm in the microwave (unless there's food or something on them to conduct the heat).

I was actually surprised by this suggestion, since my understanding of how microwaves work is that the waves cause the water molecules to vibrate, which then gets transmitted to nearby non-water molecules. So I would not expect a plate to get hot from microwaving. Of course, I've been known to be mistaken... :huh:

I've no problems getting my plates hot enough to burn my fingers. Put a stack of plates in the microwave, five minutes or so at max effect. Probably won't work with glass, but glazed porceline plates (ie ordinary plates) work fine for me.

Edit: Just did a test. I put two room temp plates in the microwave. After 2.5 minutes, they were 92C/197F according to my Thermopen. This is bone china plates, but nothing fancy. Very common in Europe.

Edit 2: As I said, I learned this trick from a professional cook. So, it might be something with European tableware?

Edited by TheSwede (log)

I've no problems getting my plates hot enough to burn my fingers. Put a stack of plates in the microwave, five minutes or so at max effect. Probably won't work with glass, but glazed porceline plates (ie ordinary plates) work fine for me.

Edit: Just did a test. I put two room temp plates in the microwave. After 2.5 minutes, they were 92C/197F according to my Thermopen. This is bone china plates, but nothing fancy. Very common in Europe.

Edit 2: As I said, I learned this trick from a professional cook. So, it might be something with European tableware?

Works on Texas (made in China) tableware also. I was surprised that it worked but it does-and they are marked micro-safe.

When I operated a resturarant years ago we just kept plates in an oven at a low temp.

Jmahl

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Our family have discussed this topic several times. 25 servings of anything in a 1960s home kitchen is difficult, not to mention serving turkey dinner w/ 10 side dishes(!). This year we used 2 small (5 qt) round chafing dishes and the mini-sized slow cooker (little dipper?).

I pre-warm all the serving dishes. Usually there is no room in the oven, so we fill the sink w/ hot water, adding boiling water if the sink gets too cool.

Standing/resting time for steaks: again, the pre-heated plate makes a huge difference. Also, find a warmer corner of the kitchen, away from drafts. Of course, in my 550 sq ft. apartment, that tends to be tricky. My "secret" spot is on top of the toaster. I suppose we could put the toaster "on" if things were getting cold. LOL

Karen Dar Woon

I do a few things in order to get everything out at the right temperature:

-Adjust the menu so that not everything needs to be served hot.

-Warm plates in the oven on low (unless the oven is already in use).

-Serve family style, not plated.

-Avoid individual cuts of meat. No steaks, no fish.

It should work if you first wet the plates and then microwave until they're completely dry.

After thinking about it for a while, my current theory is that you can heat all types of plates (excep possibly glass plates) in your microwave without water or anything. People just haven't tried.

The reason the plates doesn't get hot when you have food on them is that the food is much more microwave absorbant, it soaks up the energy much easier than the plates. But when no food is present the energy ends up in the plates (after bouncing around inside the microwave a couple of times).

Here is an explanation from a Professor of Physics

http://howthingswork.virginia.edu/print1.php?QNum=1524

Yes, but it's not a good idea. Depending on the type of plate, you can either damage your microwave oven or damage the plate.....

See the link

Edited by pounce (log)

My soup looked like an above ground pool in a bad neighborhood.

What they said. Plus:

When resting any cut of meat larger than a strip steak I tent it in aluminum foil and usually rest it in something that is warm but not hot, or on the stove top (assuming there's room) so that the environment is below cooking temperature but above kitchen temperature.

Also: when plating, draft one of your guests to serve while you plate. Cuts the time by more than half because then you can get a rhythm going.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.