• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lake Worth

eyedoc

Visiting grandma and am looking for good places to eat. not fancy, ethnic preferred. Plan to try the taco truck on Lake Worth Ave. which I passed but did not try last visit. Was told of a Thai place on LWA but when we went there, the menu had chicken marsala! We found another Thai place further east, on the north side, that was pretty good. Any ideas? Also prefer places that don't close at 8pm. Thanks

I went to Dixon Li's on Military just about a block north of Lake Worth Road last Saturday night and really enjoyed it. The combination plates around around 15-20 each but also include soup, shrimp or two huge spare ribs, egg roll, fried or white rice with your main dish and desert.

The spare ribs and the rest of the food was great. The owner Dixon has a great personality and is quite the character.

For a local diner type place you could try Mom's Kitchen.

Let me know if you find and try a decent Thai place. I go to one in Delray that I enjoy.

Where exactly is the Taco Truck you are speaking of?

Edited by NJ2FLA (log)

I moved from Lake Worth about a year and a half ago - but if they are still around, and you are looking for not so fancy here are some ideas:

Riggin's Crab House at I-95 and Lantana Road

Two Jays - several locations, one downtown Lake Worth

NYPD Pizza - Lantana and Jog - Southwest Corner (also a walkup location on the beach)

Taco Trucks all up and down Military Trail - concentrated to the North in the West Palm area around the airport (be brave)

La Granja for Peruvian - Lake Worth road just west of Military Trail

John G's - Old Florida Seafood - in Boca on Ocean Blvd

Saito's - I think there is one in City Place, and one in Boynton on Jog Road - decent Sushi and Hibachi and casual

Will touch bases with my son who still lives up there and see what is new and interesting.

Thanks for the replies. There is no way I am eating egg rolls and spare ribs. Not what I'm looking for. Maybe Granny. And that's the problem with this area. It tends to cater to the mostly older people who live there. And I understand that. I'm not trying to be offensive or judgmental, but I put up this post to find some edgier places near by. Annecros has the idea. For instance, when I visit the other Grandma in Aventura, we will be trying Hiro's Yakko-San. We also have had cerviche on Biscayne Blvd and 138th st. so the Peruvian place sounds interesting. You understand my hesitation about Peruvian in Lake Worth, though. What is Two Jays? And is Riggin's a place with crabs and a mallet? Sounds great. I also saw other posts about golden crabs and I can cook!

thanks again.

Sorry that I replied with a good, Chinese (Ethnic), not fancy restaurant in Lake Worth.

Too Jay's to answer your question is a deli where you can get dinners, soup, sandwiches, etc. They are a local chain and have many locations in the area. It's decent in my opinion.

I also heard that there are some cool places to eat on Lake Avenue in the East part of town. I think Bizarre Avenue Café is there but I haven't tried it.

I haven't been to Riggins Crab house as I don't fancy seafood.

Enjoy your trip and let us know where you end up going.

Riggin's is exactly that. Maryland or Garlic Crab, mallet, boiled potatoes and cole slaw, paper towels, you get the idea. They also have an adjoining fish market, and a full menu besides. Good all you can eat specials. Very homely. :biggrin:

Two Jays is indeed "Kosher Style" and decent, but there are better deli's south in Broward and Dade county.

I've heard of the Bizarre Avenue Cafe as well - but never tried it.

Don't worry about Peruvian in Lake Worth. That place has been on fire for a while, and the South American population now outnumbers the Cuban population in South Florida.

If you are in the Aventura area, there are several Argentinian Steakhouses to choose from - one that would seem to fit your criteria is another small, locally owned chain "The Knife" It's an Atkins paradise, but we haven't been since the off season, and somebody told me the other day that they may a victim of their own success.

Click here for the lowdown on The Knife

Oh and if you are in the Aventura area, have you ever driven up A1A and had a burger at Le Tub? The very epitomy of Florida Casual.

Dixon Li's is actually a fine place to eat, with a casual atmosphere. Better quality than you would expect.

Thanks again. Really am not looking for "fancy" and these are terrific suggestions. Will be there at end of the month and will let you know. Am afraid of the winter crowds, y'know. And yes I have been to Le Tub many times. I also think its the best burger I have ever had. Thanks for the heads up on the changing demographics of south florida. New York is the same way, many more Ecuadorians, Guatemalans, Peruvians and less from Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic. Come to Jackson Heights in Queens. On one block there will be a Columbian, Ecuadorian, Mexican, Phillipino, Thai, etc. and they are all authentic. Amazing.

It is amazing - and a great way to eat yourself around the world!

Another thought, have you been to "The Boys" Farmers Market? My sister called me right after Frances, and as soon as she determined that we were all safe her next question was "Is "The Boys" OK?"

I haven't been to Lake Worth in over a year, but we used to show at a lot fo places there, and my Kiddle always adored the Bizaare Avenue Cafe's way with fish;they always serve some kind of white fish on a crusty roll that she devours. I usually get soup and a lot of wine, when we go there. The menu is nothing stellar, kind of mid 90's- they have their version of tapas. A bit pricey for the quality of the food.The decor is kind of cutesie, with sofas and such. I don't really care for the seating arrangements, just because I don't like to eat bending over a coffee table. Unless I'm sitting on the floor. Here, you sit on a chair or a sofa, so you have to lean a bit to eat. They're good for coffee and appetizers, just a mixed bag.

What I really adore is going along the roads and finding some little Mexican or Peruvian or Ecuadorian place and just ordering. I've had some great crispy whole fried fish, burritos, tacos, mole, stews, so many things! Lucerne Ave and Lake Ave come to mind.

Also, I'm not sure if they're still there, but New Seoul Korean is a great restaurant.

Have the noodles! They're on Lake Ave. Check the telephone book when you get to Lake Worth, and see if they're around- the food was really fantastic last July, and they had grills for meat, too. The aroma in the restaurant made me hungry, even when I wasn't!

If you want Indian, go to Saffron, it's not in Lake Worth, but it isn't far- I like their breads- they have a lunch buffet- good for a group to go and share a fun meal.

Actually, I am editing this: I was last in Lake Worth last July- I have chemo brain, sorry!

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

This "season" I have noticed the restaurants are not as busy as they typically are. In speaking with some owners and servers they have been telling me the same. It's slammed for about an hour or so and then it's dead. I really haven't had to wait long anywhere even on a weekend evening.

I am not sure if it's the economy our the market in this area of Florida. There was an article in one of our local newspapers about the restaurants struggling.

-Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back and thanks again. I keep forgetting that when I visit this area, I need to go out with Grandma, and that means we MUST eat before 6PM. We ended up only going out once in LW and sure enough we went to Dixon Li. I was totally underwhelmed. It is not Chinese food, it is Chinese American food. There is nothing authentic about it. The food is very fresh and the people are very friendly. But it is typical take out fare, lots of cornstarch in the sauces and very bland. Feh. The peruvian chicken place was a little too downscale to take granny, take out instead of eatin, but next time I would get some chicken there and some tacos up the road and make a meal of it. And if you are ever ariund No. Miami you must try Yakko-San. Terrific.

Hey eyedoc... sorry you didn't care for Dixon Li's - Florida is a Chinese wasteland anyhow.

I will check out your recommendation in North Miami. Can you tell me more about Yakko-San ?

Edited by NJ2FLA (log)

Hey eyedoc... sorry you didn't care for Dixon Li's - Florida is a Chinese wasteland anyhow.

I will check out your recommendation in North Miami.  Can you tell me more about Yakko-San ?

We went on a Sat. nite at 6:45 and were seated promptly. By 7:15 there was a line out the door. Service was very courteous and friendly and we were not rushed. If you do a search there are some recent posts. The menu is very large and changes regularly. We had seaweed salad, very simple, just a selection of 3 different seaweeds with 2 different dipping sauces, sesame and mustard. We also has conch over cooked seaweed. Both were very good. Small tapas sized portions. We then had a jack plate which is 8 pieces of jack, 4 pieces are sashimi and the other 4 are chopped with citrus and chive as a tataki. This was my favorite dish. We wanted to order the hamachi sashimi with jalapeno but instead ordered the cooked hamachi "cheeks". It was a cooked collar of yellowtail. Very tasty and unusual. I thought the collar would be more tasty but it tasted liked fried fish. We also had kabosha tempura. This is a squash. Very tasty and not greasy at all. We also had a pork belly dish, tasty but too simple and a pork and kimchee dish. Spicy and flavorful. In all we tried 8 dishes and the total for 2 was $75. I was surprised that no rice was served but we also didn't ask. Many people were eating their fried fish. They had about 5 types listed. They also had unusual sounding dishes like chicken gizzards and fish jerky. They also had a large selection of sakes. If you go, do a search before and be daring.