• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

British food in London

I am in London for the Wine plus event next week and am looking for a good place to eat. I was pondering on Number Twelve in the Ambassador,Bloomsbury.

Has anyone eaten there recently or have any other suggestions along the 'modern British' lines? Thanks

Alex

Haven't been to No.12, so not entirely sure what you mean by modern British.

Grill Room at the Dorchester will do what most people would recognise as a traditional English menu with a twist. It's very good indeed, as it would have to be at those prices.

St John is the obvious choice as a representative of what's happened to British food over the past decade. The audience response is equally divided between "this is simple perfection", and "if I wanted to eat the business end of a pig I'd do it at home".

Great Queen Street, and its sister Anchor & Hope, both do superior British pub food of the type you wish you could get at your local boozer. Medcalf and Hereford Road also worth a look if you want something similar in a posher setting. Meanwhile, Boisdale holds the torch as the only decent Scottish restaurant in London. That's not a particularly high watermark though.

If what you're looking for is "modern cooking that doesn't fit easily into the category of French, Italian or anything else", I'd probably be off to Foilage.

Edit update - Sorry: only just noticed you're from the UK rather than the Johnny Foreigner I automatically assumed, so I guess these suggestions may be a wee bit too pedestrian.

Edited by naebody (log)

Thanks Naebody. i've been to St. John on more than a few occasions and would normally just book it and go there, but am looking to try somwhere else for a change.

Great Queen Street sounds good, and is handily on our tube route back to St Pancras. I may well give that a try. Medcalf may also be worth a look, if only for a nibble and a drink!

Cheers.

I am in London for the Wine plus event next week and am looking for a good place to eat. I was pondering on Number Twelve in the Ambassador,Bloomsbury.

Has anyone eaten there recently or have any other suggestions along the 'modern British' lines? Thanks

Alex

As a london foodie I was surprised by your suggestion, never heard of Number Twelve, the following are a number of very sound ideas......

Top spots

Pied-a-terre – currently my number one spot in London

Gordon Ramsey- I guess he has to be on the list, our last meal, Dec ’06 was shockingly poor!!

Petrus- now two star and coming of age, worth a visit.

Tom Aikens- one star, high end and high maintainence food

Ll’Autre Pied – sibling of Pied a terre, more casual but still very serious food.

Arbutus- Frith Street, very good foodie food in a simple bistro format with a star

Scots - a traditional fish restaurant relaunched this year and a big hit.

Ristorante Semplice, Currently the HOT Italian spot.

Zuma- a trendy but very good Japanese fusion joint, big scene!

Atelier de Joel Robuchon- I love it here- works well for a couple as you mainly sit up at a bar sushi style, they do have a couple of tables for 4.

Ledbury- one star, bright young Aussie chef. He is out a little in the edge of Notting hill, elegant room and good wine list, very good but fairly simple food.

Galvin at Windows- Restaurant and Bar- top floor of the Hilton hotel, go great view over Hyde Park. The restaurant is a little sterile but does offer the best view and food combination in town.

Galvin- baker st, this is by the same guys as above. A favourite of mine for simple bistro deluxe food, in a very busy west end sitting.

Royal China- baker st- just a few doors from Galvin, is for my money the best Dim Sum and Chinese food in London.

Racine- a fab traditional French hot spot, with robustly traditional dishes in a typical Parisienne room, a firm favourite.

Zafferano- I am told that it is getting back to its former glory, much improved over the past few years.

Greenhouse - there has been a change of chef here but the standard is maintained. A very elegant room with really fine food and outstanding wine list, a favourite!

Locanda Locatell - I have had some of the best and worst dining experiences of the past two years here. A real celeb spotting joint, Chris from Cold Play and Gwyneth seem to live here.

Indian- Amaya and Rasoi Vineet Bhatie both of these are one star, Amaya I think is probably the more elegant dining experience, but food in both is extremely accomplished.

HOPE THIS HELPS

Alex

Gordon Ramsey- I guess he has to be on the list, our last meal, Dec ’06 was shockingly poor!!

:shock: What happened?

Alex

As a london foodie I was surprised by your suggestion, never heard of Number Twelve, the following are a number of very sound ideas......

Top spots

Pied-a-terre – currently my number one spot in London

Petrus- now two star and coming of age, worth a visit.

Tom Aikens- one star, high end and high maintainence food

Ll’Autre Pied – sibling of Pied a terre, more casual but still very serious food.

Arbutus- Frith Street, very good foodie food in a simple bistro format with a star

Scots - a traditional fish restaurant relaunched this year and a big hit.

Ristorante Semplice, Currently the HOT Italian spot.

Zuma- a trendy but very good Japanese fusion joint, big scene!

Atelier de Joel Robuchon- I love it here- works well for a couple as you mainly sit up at a bar sushi style, they do have a couple of tables for 4.

Ledbury- one star, bright young Aussie chef. He is out a little in the edge of Notting hill, elegant room and good wine list, very good but fairly simple food.

Galvin at Windows- Restaurant and Bar- top floor of the Hilton hotel, go great view over Hyde Park. The restaurant is a little sterile but does offer the best view and food combination in town.

Galvin- baker st, this is by the same guys as above. A favourite of mine for simple bistro deluxe food, in a very busy west end sitting.

Royal China- baker st- just a few doors from Galvin, is for my money the best Dim Sum and Chinese food in London.

Racine- a fab traditional French hot spot, with robustly traditional dishes in a typical Parisienne room, a firm favourite.

Zafferano- I am told that it is getting back to its former glory, much improved over the past few years.

Greenhouse - there has been a change of chef here but the standard is maintained. A very elegant room with really fine food and outstanding wine list, a favourite!

Locanda Locatell - I have had some of the best and worst dining experiences of the past two years here. A real celeb spotting joint, Chris from Cold Play and Gwyneth seem to live here.

Indian- Amaya and Rasoi Vineet Bhatie both of these are one star, Amaya I think is probably the more elegant dining experience, but food in both is extremely accomplished.

HOPE THIS HELPS

Nice first post but he was after Modern British :raz:

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

my main course, Osso Buco, was a chewy leathery ( please feel free to correct my spelling) piece of meat. Needed another hour or so in the oven. Not acceptable.

Other things niggled me, chocolate triangles piped on the dessert plate, fridge cold chocolates with coffee, a horrible starter of veal head terrine served with poached quail eggs and hollandaise sauce.

my main course, Osso Buco, was a chewy leathery ( please feel free to correct my spelling) piece of meat.  Needed another hour or so in the oven.  Not acceptable.

Other things niggled me, chocolate triangles piped on the dessert plate, fridge cold chocolates with coffee, a horrible starter of veal head terrine served with poached quail eggs and hollandaise sauce.

And this was Royal Hospital Road was it, not Claridge's?

Sounds like you were very unlucky - you have my sympathies.

An old colleague of mine, Jerome Ponchelle, is head chef at Wiltons - which offers classic British fare. I've not eaten there myself, but if Jerome's at the helm, it will be very good, he's a real stickler for perfection. He was HC at the Connaught before Ramsay/Hartnett took over.

http://www.wiltons.co.uk/home.php

Might be worth a look, especially if anyone else can offer a review.

Edited by Fibilou (log)

www.diariesofadomesticatedgoddess.blogspot.com

Alex

Hi Alex, I have been at N.12 and it is not bad at all! if you are interested, here are some impressions

An old colleague of mine, Jerome Ponchelle, is head chef at Wiltons - which offers classic British fare. I've not eaten there myself, but if Jerome's at the helm, it will be very good, he's a real stickler for perfection. He was HC at the Connaught before Ramsay/Hartnett took over.

Any chance of him going back there once the refurbishment is finished? I mean, Italian? At the Connaught? My dear, the very thought....