• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Masterchef Goes Large 2008

Andy Lynes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Succotash

I can't believe that little numpty had this info in his head. Maybe I was wrong about the editing issue, maybe they shot the lines as a pick up later. I also can't believe I just googled succotash. Saddo.

Peasant Luxe cooking not required on masterchef.

Scallops with mushy peas/ black pud/ chorizo anyone.

Did anyone watch this yesterday? It's the first one I have watched of this series. I just cannot believe some of the people they have on this thing. Out of six contestants, two served up raw chicken, one served an uncooked tart (and I mean raw), the other were ok but I can't remember one memorable dish. The person who ultimately got through to the semis seem to be a solid cook with a simple approach (and I have no truck with that by the way)

the thing is - they have 6 starters and they are meant to eliminate 3 after the first challenge - I would have struggled to find 3 that should go through.

I am genuinely staggered by the level of cooking

I know they are under pressure but flamin nora :blink:

Arrrrgh god that veg bloke is just so annoying. Torode may shout a lot but atleast he knows what he's talking about.

Wallace is just like a bloody shouting baked potato

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC259y0E1e8

and his stock answers for anything good are always:

ggggrrrrrrr

I wanna kiss you

coorrrrrr

Wow very insightful well done mate, really managed to convey that well.

Greg: Here you have used a luxurious and expensive piece of sea bass on top of  peasant food, the two just can't go together. 

Here, Mr Koffmann you have stuffed luxurious and expensive sweetbreads and morels into a pigs trotter, the epitome of peasent food. The three just can't go together...on the other hand, it might win you three Michelin stars and become a hugely influential and much copied dish.

• 2 weeks later...
Arrrrgh god that veg bloke is just so annoying. Torode may shout a lot but atleast he knows what he's talking about.

Wallace is just like a bloody shouting baked potato

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC259y0E1e8

and his stock answers for anything good are always:

ggggrrrrrrr

I wanna kiss you

coorrrrrr

Wow very insightful well done mate, really managed to convey that well.

I caught a few minutes of this last night (it's like a car crash I just can't help watching it occasionally) What is with the shouting at each other when they are trying to decide who wins? Why do they always each favour a different contestant? The "Passion speech" thing - what a load of bollox. And as for choosing TV friendly people that became evident after the Scottish guy failed to identify any of the ingredients but still got chosen to go through? What is the point of identifying the ingredients if that is going to happen? At least the winner did show something a little different, I don't know why they even shouted at each other over who was going to win, it was quite clear she was the best/most interesting chef there.

On a positive note they both seem to have stopped the bad eating habits (maybe somebody is reading this thread). If they could now simply take the fork out of their mouths and something approaching a normal speed rather than the slow withdrawal we have now.

If any of these contestants really want to work in a restaurant go and knock on a few doors and you will get the opportunity.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

It is the recognition and interview part of the show that is the most irrelevant. Ingredient recognition, surely that should be the basic test before you step through the door. Then you have the interview:

What you would want to say as a contestant:

"I've been cooking forever and I love it. I think the food that I cook is delicious and want you to taste it. This is a cooking competition and I want your honest expert judgement of my food."

What you have say in order for Slaphead/Torode/Producers to put you through:

"This is a journey for me...

I dream about food…

it's an unbelievable experience being on Masterchef…

I want to take it to the next level….

I've learnt so much already…

I see this as a journey…

I want to share my passion with a wider audience…

There's so much more I have to offer…

If you put me through I promise I won't let you down…

I want to show what real Southern Madagascan cuisine is really like…

These really are the first steps on what for me will be a long journey in food…"

What is wrong with letting all 4 contestants cook anyway? Maybe it's a logistical issue, maybe they are physically unable to sample 12 dishes, 9 is the absolute limit. Maybe slaphead needs to take smaller shovelfuls of food, maybe..

Maybe I'll keep catching the odd show purely for the opportunity to shout at the telly!!

• 4 weeks later...

So last night, the three finalists were flown to the jungle in Belize to cook for a bunch of British soldiers who were out there training. What made it worth flying the contestants, presenters and crew 5,000 miles was because the jungle is really hot, which makes for quite difficult conditions to cook in. Unlike, say, oh I don't know, just off the top of my head you understand, A PROFESSIONAL KITCHEN. Like the ones the contestants have been cooking in all along. So it was a really exciting episode because the contestants were sweating more than in previous editions of the show. And um, it was really hot.

So last night, the three finalists were flown to the jungle in Belize to cook for a bunch of British soldiers who were out there training. What made it worth flying the contestants, presenters and crew 5,000 miles was because the jungle is really hot, which makes for quite difficult conditions to cook in. Unlike, say, oh I don't know, just off the top of my head you understand, A PROFESSIONAL KITCHEN. Like the ones the contestants have been cooking in all along. So it was a really exciting episode because the contestants were sweating more than in previous editions of the show. And um, it was really hot.

The final tonight. Although having just watched Richard and Judy and seen the long faces of two of them, I think I can tell who won.

I'm actually past caring though. I might watch Jamie at Home instead (which I'm really enjoying)

Is it my imagination or was the sauce with his venison reduced to a solid state? :wacko:

It certainly looked fairly gloopy from what I could see, although you have to give them some leeway for the length of time from the dish being "ready" to the filming of the judging. I noticed that the ice-cream seemed to go from reasonably solid to mostly liquid between shots...

I was extremely impressed with the three finalists was very pleased James won.

Maybe in a couple of years Emily will be giving Heston B a bit of serious competition.

If the production team and presenters had put as much thought and effort in as the finalists then the series would have been loads better.

They will be lucky to get three people as good if they run it again next year.

Not wishing to demean the involvement of either the contestants or at least one of the judges, it seems to me a vile program, epitomising the awful lack of standards debated in the British media of late. From the outset there seemed in it little that was true.

Shame on you BBC