• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bacon-flavored eggs, hold the bacon

RedRum

Hello, this is something I experimented with. We know that the eggshell is porous and permeable, hence is can absorb smells and flavours. What I did was to dip 6 eggs in a container full of bacon drippings and pepper corns. left it in the fridge for a week and then boiled poached, fried and boiled the eggs to soft yolks (2 for each method). I was really surprised!!! the method that had the strongest flavour of bacon and hints of pepper was boiling, although frying and and poaching also gave hints of smokeyness and meatiness.

Has anyone else tried this? I think the possibilities are endless!

I really think the bacon grease/bits will clog the pores of the eggshell

and seal the shell so not much flavor would get it ..but that is just me thinking again ..I would try it if I had enough grease ..maybe really scrub the shells first to open the pores up more?

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Does this work because of the pervasive smokiness of the bacon (the aroma gets absorbed by everything near it in the fridge)?

I wonder if you could take a neutral fat, gently heat some herbs or spices in the fat, let it cool and then place the eggs in the fat and see if it absorbs the flavoring in the oil.

This could work great for adding flavorings to soft boiled eggs or just boiled eggs.

Imagine deviled eggs with bacon flavored egg whites...hmmm...the possibilities.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I've played around with this as well, brining eggs in a salt solution with other flavorings for anywhere from 1-3 weeks. I've done this using peppercorns, pimenton, or star anise: all of them were pretty interesting. I then soft cooked the eggs with an immersion circulator for nice runny yolks.

---

al wang

Hello, great to see people are interested in this! I had almost half a liter of bacon drippings that I warmed up with peppercorns and bacon bits. let it cool a bit, and then poured it over the eggs in a taperware sealed and then in fridge. I washed and rubbed the eggs before putting the drippings to unclog pores. I have to admit that the bacon taste was not very strong, but it was there. I am trying to find ways to intensify this, which means a lot of research in egg physiology;)

maybe poke a tiny pinholes eggs first?

you can take a sharp needle and drill tiny holes that are big enough for flavor to get iinto it but not big enough for the eggo to spill out ?

I love bacon and eggs so this is a fun idea I think

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet