• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant updates in Cape Town

ellenesk

Just got back from Cape Town, and thought I would in my two cents worth, as there have not been any updates in a while.

Best fish, Codfather in Camps Bay, tons of variety, at least half a dozen different prawns, and crayfish. Great sushi, extensive fish variety. All well cooked.

Panama Jacks, second best seafood. Great out of the way location by the docks. Good variety of fish well prepared.

Quick lunch a Emily's cafe was fine, with good Bobotie.

Best Cape Malay food at the Quarterdeck at the Portswood hotel of all places.

Dinner at Beluga was fine, but way overpriced for what it was.

Best meal of the trip was at Terroir in Stellenbosch. Wonderful local produce and food, meticulously prepared.

We also just got back! ellenesk we were probably there at the same time!

We had a nice dinner at one.waterfront in the Cape Grace Hotel, we really loved our lunch of tapas with a SA twist at Fork on Long Street and by far our best meal was at Savoy Cabbage- really excellent food and service.

We became fans of Nando's peri peri chicken and chips. We ate at Bo Kaap Koptam (not sure if that name is completely correct) and had good but not outstanding curry and butter chicken.

A dinner in Blouberg one night at One the Rocks was spectacular for the setting but all dishes were very overcooked.

In Franschhoek we loved our dinner at Topsi. Ici was just ok with some things being overcooked. Rueben's for dinner was also good. Lunch at Haute Cabriere was excellent! We also had some tapas style bites at Bouillabaisse which we enjoyed and a very good lunch at the French Connection.

• 1 month later...

We are going to Cape Town for a week long meeting in two weeks. I need a few restaurants that I can take people.. Nice but not stuffy. I will make reservations at Savoy Cabbage. What about Five Flies,Greenmarket,95 Keeroom?I have a list from the Mount Nelson but it is just a list.I need help.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

We're going to South Africa in 3 weeks with the family (10 people) with 2 small children (4 and 6). I would appreciate some tips on nice, not touristy regional restaurants in Capetown, Knysna and Oudtshoorn.

Stellenbosch area is already taken care off: The tasting room in Quartier Francais. looking forward to that one!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can't recall where I saw it mentioned, but am finally beginning the restaurant booking phase for my August trip and am wondering if this should make the short list.

For good public reviews try using Food 24 and search the site for restaurant reviews. Generally they will point out the best. Also look at www.wapit.co.za for restaurant menus. Still a developing site but quite helpful otherwise just keep aking...we can suggest a bushell...how big is your budget!!??

Edited by Chef from Clarens (log)

The fat & happy Chef from Clarens, Eastern Free State, South Africa.

I've never had a bad day in the kitchen, but I've had some bad kitchens in my day!

• 1 month later...
I can't recall where I saw it mentioned, but am finally beginning the restaurant booking phase for my August trip and am wondering if this should make the short list.

For good public reviews try using Food 24 and search the site for restaurant reviews. Generally they will point out the best. Also look at www.wapit.co.za for restaurant menus. Still a developing site but quite helpful otherwise just keep aking...we can suggest a bushell...how big is your budget!!??

Would also suggest eatout.co.za! Not the best reviews but best up to date for openings/closings and specials.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the recommendations on the restaurant review websites - and apologies for taking so long to reply! They were extremely helpful... We have now booked (much of) our dining itinerary and are so excited that this is now just a few weeks away...

Here's what we have planned in/around Cape Town:

Bo Kaap Kombuis

Bizerca

Bosman's

Bread & Wine (lunch)

Apparently the (unintentional) theme is restaurants that start with 'B'! :laugh: Still need a CT lunch plan, but think we'll do something quick and easy since we don't have much time to explore as is... Maybe Manna Epicure? Or Zorina's?

Further afield we have several dinners included w/ our accomodations (safari, etc.), but are also planning on trying Koornlands (we have a night in Swellendam), Ile de Pain (lunch in Knysna), and maybe the Grand Cafe in Plettenberg Bay.

It was really hard to choose, since we have limited time (esp in CT) - in the end we decided to (mostly) forego the uber high-end spots in favor of (hopefully!) interesting, intimate (it is our honeymoon, after all!), fresh/local ingredient-inspired choices. Does it sound like we've created an appropriately varied 'Taste of South Africa'? We're really looking forward to it! Will report back...

• 2 months later...

We were in the CapeTown area last January and had some suprisingly good dinners. We are from the San Francisco area, were in the gourmet food business for years, and have had some amazingly great food over the years, from California to New York to Paris. Our hopes were high but our expectations not when we spent ten days in the western Cape.

In Franschhoek, we ate at The Tasting Room at Le Quartier Francais and were dazzled. We also ate one evening at their adjoining bistro and thought it was OK; the main advantage there is not the food, but you can order wine by the glass from the Tasting Room's wine list.

Equally enjoyable was the tasting menu at Jardine, on Bree Street in Cape Town. The only caveat there: take a taxi home; the neighborhood gets deserted after dark. We had no trouble but don't like deserted places after dark. But Jardine itself was wonderful, every dish better than the next.

The big disappointment was Showroom. The setting is spectacular: overlooking a luxury car showroom. The ambiance was great as well. But have you ever had one of those meals where the chef was trying too hard? Where dozens of ingredients are competing for your attention, rather than complementing each other? That was Showroom. We didn't finish any of our dishes. Every one sounded great on the menu, but not so much on the palate.

Getting back to Franschhoek, we had a lovely and delicious lunch in the outdoor restaurant at Moreson Farms, called Bread and Wine.

Finally, in the Heritage Square area of Cape Town, we loved our brunch at Savoy Cabbage. What character, and really tasty food.