• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Israeli Chocolate Festival

Lior

I was wondering ( I didnt want to start another topic ) on how do you calculate how much production to make for these type of events?

I am battling with myself trying to figure out how many chocolates and other confection to make for the festival,isnt too long only friday night and saturday all day, there are going to be lots of chocolatiers there so I am trying actually to prepare my display so it looks outstanding, we are tagling me going to compete with people that actually does this for living and not on a side between work, family and everything else :wacko:, people that is in business for way longer than myself, and this will be actually my debut to the public ( help what I have done :blink::blink: ).I have to admit that is getting little bit stressing and I have realize how much money I had to spend just for this event to get ready, at least to be presentable, I dont have my onw brand boxes and confections so I had to find ways to stand out. There is going to be a bridal magazine there and a wedding cake competition ( no I am not thinking to enter it :laugh: , I did enter the best truffle ine , since I am there LOL ), so I made a wedding favor display so people can see what I have to offer for that as well.

Well sorry for the veting and thank you for your support :wub:

Vanessa

Vanessa, is this a new festival, or a regular thing? Because if it's a recurring thing, you could ask the organizers about sales volumes - they might know, or be able to refer you to one of the other chocolatiers to get some ideas.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Hello. Well what I did was get the phone numbers of other chocoaltiers that were participating and I asked them. But there was no real definite answer as no one knew exactly how pieces they sold the previous year and how many they had left over. So I went for it and made 1000 pieces total per day. That was just the bonbons,not bars or bark etc. I had leftoverand froze them in vacuum packed bags. You see, some kinds sold out, some not at all. This way I did not feel nervous that I may run out- I had a few festivals within 2 months, and each was 2-3 days. I will be happy to share how I organized and took if you want. Enjoy it and try not to get stressed- believe me I know how you feel! Lots of success!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey check this out. Our own Lior is the second one down (Ganache Chocolates) and "highly recommended" I notice. That somehow does not surprise me.

So how does it feel to be a star? What did the interview process consist of?

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

Well thank you. I was sorta surprised cause I am so new and still working out my recipes and all- and besides, you all have a big part in this- especially Kerry, but also Mark and John as well as others. I think it is also because of the couverture...

I would probably say "recommended" but hope to live up to Sandra's recommendations! Sandra lived in Israel for a year and now her and her husband will go to Germany for 5 years. She interviewed me and tasted some of my chocolates and did the same to countless others! Great job!

As Ashkelon was not exactly the best place to be at the time of the interview (if you gather what I mean) I was interviewed over the phone and met at another colloeague's place in another city a few weeks later and so I brought some chocolates with!

Thanks again!

WOW Lior! That's just fabulous. Congratulations.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 10 months later...

Well after turning down many chocolate festivals this year (recession - colleagues told me that the festivals did not go well this year...) I did a very small one here in my hometown in the vet's backyard. Besides her 18 amazing cats and 6 dogs, millions of birds, her clinic, she still finds time to paint on wood, glass and lanterns as a hobby (will post a picture on this later), when bringing a kitten (I have 3 cats and a golden retriever) that was abandoned with its eyes still closed to get a bottle and kitten formula, for Mr. Puff , we decided to have a backyard art fair with my chocolates, her things and a few other artists, crochet, jewely, jam, liqueur etc before our holiday season. SO it was today and it was great fun even though I did not turn into a millionaire!! In a few mins I will post pics.

Well after turning down many chocolate festivals this year (recession - colleagues told me that the festivals did not go well this year...) I did a very small one here in my hometown in the vet's backyard. Besides her 18 amazing cats and 6 dogs, millions of birds, her clinic, she still finds time to paint on wood, glass and lanterns as a hobby (will post a picture on this later), when bringing a kitten (I have 3 cats and a golden retriever) that was abandoned with its eyes still closed to get a bottle and kitten formula, for Mr. Puff , we decided to have a backyard art fair with my chocolates, her things and a few other artists, crochet, jewely, jam, liqueur etc before our holiday season. SO it was today and it was great fun even though I did not turn into a millionaire!! In a few mins I will post pics.

What a wonderful thread! I love it and I noticed you make s'more chocolate a combination I have not tasted since girl scouts! All your chocolates look great. When you say you turned down several festivals, do you mean that you don't think you will cover the expense of renting a table?

The backyard art fair sounds like lots of fun, I was thinking of doing something similar...

Cheers, Sarah

http://sarahmelamed.com/

Well first, thanks, second, I would make back plus more, however, one must consider all the hours of preparation, not just of the chocolates, of packing containers, taking all thestuff to the place, gas, standing for a few days all dat long, a helper, etc etc so it has to be profit that includes all all all costs!! And a profit that is well worth the effort. I decided not to take a chance and from what I heard it was a good decision.

Well first, thanks, second, I would make back plus more, however, one must consider all the hours of preparation, not just of the chocolates, of packing containers, taking all the stuff to the place, gas, standing for a few days all dat long, a helper, etc etc so it has to be profit that includes all all all costs!! And a profit that is well worth the effort. I decided not to take a chance and from what I heard it was a good decision.

Lovely photos. Lovely chocolates. And lovely you too! :smile:

Thanks for posting.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Wow, what a variety of flavors! That's certainly a lot of work, but very beautiful and well presented, Lior.

I did not know what Fejoya is so I looked it up: a mixture of Banana + Guyava + Pineapple + Paciflora flavors. Now I need to look up Paciflora...

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Thank you guys so much!! You make a gal feel soooo good!! Passiflora is passion fruit or granadilla yellowy sour jel-like and lots of seeds inside-do you know it? I tried looking up what Fejoya is in English and all I got was Fejoya!!And the "things in vinegar" are capers!! (that smaller jar!) :biggrin:

Well first, thanks, second, I would make back plus more, however, one must consider all the hours of preparation, not just of the chocolates, of packing containers, taking all thestuff to the place, gas, standing for a few days all dat long, a helper, etc etc so it has to be profit that includes all all all costs!! And a profit that is well worth the effort. I decided not to take a chance and from what I heard it was a good decision.

Lior, You are so right about the hours, packaging materials, etc. etc. Up until last year I did a two day show at Christmas time and it took sooo long to prepare for. I do a lot of molded chocolates, mint bark, nut clusters, coconut balls, marshmallow pops and many more. I don't take the time to do all the elaborate truffles or filled Bon Bons as you have done. Your chocolates look so wonderful I know you spent a lot of time preparing them. :smile:

Pat

Thank you!! Wow it sounds like you also made a large variety. Itis easier tohave less variety and more of each type. But then there are always comments like what else do you have in white? Or do you have cashews with cranberries? (GRRR!). But it does give exposure. And one annoying thing I found is that when I give tastes, people buy less. Perhaps a taste satisfies the initial craving felt when looking. Or it is the effect of "hey I got free chocolate, why buy?" It is hard to know what is right.

Thank you!! Wow it sounds like you also made a large variety. Itis easier tohave less variety and more of each type. But then there are always comments like what else do you have in white? Or do you have cashews with cranberries? (GRRR!). But it does give exposure. And one annoying thing I found is that when I give tastes, people buy less. Perhaps a taste satisfies the initial craving felt when looking. Or it is the  effect of "hey I got free chocolate, why buy?" It is hard to know what is right.

I agree about less variety and more of each type, it's just knowing which type to have more of. I haven't figured that out yet. I have experienced everything else you mentioned except about giving samples. I give SMALL samples of just the chocolate( about the size of a callet) so they know what the chocolate taste like. For the most part that has enticed them to buy. It never fails that they will ask "do you have" questions.

Pat

Pat

YES!!! This is what I do as well!! I have a few tiny plates with diff percentages-I break Valrhona callets in half. And if there is an interested person, I explain and give tastes. But this is more like chocolate education 100. When someone starts asking relevant questions. I also bring a cacao pod, beans, nibs (these they also taste), cocoa butter and my mollinillo. I love this part. Then sometimes a small group gathers around and I give my beloved explanations. And yes, this does lead some to buy I agree.

I personally love solid chocolate with inclusions much more than "bonbons" But here the bonbons are what is popular. I think the public have not gotten to the point of wanting origin chocolate, and tasting bars etc. We are behind on this for sure.

I love this topic expecially now that is time for another show for me as well.

The input on the free samples really helps, I have such hard time to decide what to sample and how, I think I always over do it. So I have decided to do somethin different this time. I think I am going to make a slabbed ganache of one or two flavors, cut it really small and served it with toothpicks, this way I can plan better and I don't have to waste all those paper cups. I also have noticed last year that the first night when we got the scary crowd of free samplers, they didn't buy as much as the second day, where the crowd was more relaxed and they bought more. Reading your experiences helps a lot understanding that all that sampling isn't good.

Vanessa