• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Israeli Chocolate Festival

Lior

Thanks Gfron and cakewalk!!! Yes it was 2 weeks of morning to night, during "Sharavs" (Hot desert winds blowing- like a hot dry oven for at least 3 days we had 100F-horrible!!! And then the usual "IFO's" (Identified FO's...)I am quite pooped and my right side from head down aches!!! But did it and done!!!

I made a creme brulee and then while hot poured it onto melted tempered milk chocolate- as though it was the cream. At the end I added Stock brandy and cacao nibs, which softened in time..... I piped it into a moulded shape and then after a membrane formed I closed it off with chocolate of course. It was well liked. I personally feel ,y invention far from perfect and really have no idea if that is the way to do it!! If you have any ideas I will be happy to receive them. I do the same thing with the Sahlav.

Awesome. Better stock up on lots of chocolate now that the word is out, you're about to be Ashkelon's newest rock star.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Lior,

Those look fantastic! I applauded you :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: I know the frustation you went through in making your chocolates I've read pretty much all your post. I too am a grad from Ecole and to see how you have advanced yourself it's just amazing. One day I hope to be there but without a working space it's impossible to do the things I really want to do. I do some things but not what my heart really wants to do with chocolate.

Hats off to you!! Bravo Bravo!!!

Keep up the good work.

Rena

Rena! Thank you!! You know I had a local aluminum business make me stainless tables and it isn't too expensive. You just have to keep pushing ahead! But you have to want it!! I still have a looong way to go. Why don't you try some things? But thanks so much for the kind words.

Stunning presentation. You must be exhausted after such a big production, but congrats. I am sure it will all be worth it! Hopefully you can take a day or two to rest up before they come knocking on your door!

I bought them from Mol D'Art when I was in Belgium. I believe they are from chocolate world. I bet chocoate-chocoalte has them in Canada cause the dollar to the euro is not so good for you now. For me the dollar to shekel is great!! I suggest buying more than one if you buy as they are big so there are only 10 or maybe 12 hedgehogs!

Lior, I beg you, please, stop torturing me! You keep posting photos of cute young Israeli men and beautiful tempting chocolates! I want my Kiddle to come home after her year in Israel (at least to bring me some food). Chocolates and adorable men on your end, and Daniel Rogov posting about the abundance of lamb in Israel in another thread- I'll never get my Kiddle to come back to me! :sad: ,)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

That's a wonderful display!

I'm curious about your recipie for the Creme Brulee truffles.  Are you using it in a ganache or pouring it in the shell as is?  If so, how do you back it off?

Hi! I found this if you haven't yet seen it:

That's a good way of doing it. I believe the original I had read about didn't mix the creme mixture with chocolate and therefore had a shelf life of a day or so.

Technically though, I don't think you could add the Brulee since it doesn't contain any carmalized sugar. I'm thinking of adding that but would probably have to coat it in cocoa butter not to melt.

I like their two color molding, though I don't have one of the "upside down" molds to work it with.

Hi. I am not sure I understand your part about " I don't think you could add the Brulee since it doesn't contain any carmalized sugar. I'm thinking of adding that but would probably have to coat it in cocoa butter not to melt.

And yes, I also liked their upside mould of 2 colors. I guess I may purchase it...

When I made mine it was quite similar to the Tomric recipe and I treated it like any other ganache and had no problems.

Hi. I am not sure I understand your part about " I don't think you could add the Brulee since it doesn't contain any carmalized sugar. I'm thinking of adding that but would probably have to coat it in cocoa butter not to melt.

And yes, I also liked their upside mould of 2 colors. I guess I may purchase it...

When I made mine it was quite similar to the Tomric recipe and I treated it like any other ganache and had no problems.

What I meant was that technically the recipie is "Chocolate Creme Anglese" rather than "Chocolate Creme Brulee" as the word brulee refers to dishes finished with a sugar glaze. The translation of the French "Creme Brulee" is "Burnt Cream".

The original I was thinking of is made at Kee's chocolates in NYC. It's filling is described as "liqidy, creamy vanilla" which leads me to believe it's straight creme anglese rather than a ganache. The trick would be bottoming it and for that I think spraying with cocoa butter would do it. Making it into a ganache adds shelf life and ease in closing, even if it does alter the flavor.

Okay! Got it! You see I only read about many of these things and have never seen them so I experiment and have no real idea if it is right. I have read about Kee's famous creme brulee pralines and would love to taste one to see what is all about!

So technically my creme brulee is creme anglese! It was well liked and that is also good! Thanks David!

Okay! Got it! You see I only read about many of these things and have never seen them so I experiment and have no real idea if it is right. I have read about Kee's famous creme brulee pralines and would love to taste one to see what is all about!

So technically my creme brulee is creme anglese! It was well liked and that is also good! Thanks David!

I have tasted one and the interestng thing is she doesn't have any bruleed sugar in there. It's really just a nice rich vanilla custard. A little bruleed sugar under some chocolate or cocoa butter would make a nice addition I think.

I have tasted one and the interestng thing is she doesn't have any bruleed sugar in there.  It's really just a nice rich vanilla custard.  A little bruleed sugar under some chocolate or cocoa butter would make a nice addition I think.

So what do you think would be the most efficient way to do that?

Carmalizing sugar, rolling it thin between two silpats, and breaking it up? Perhaps sandwitching a silicon circle stencil (of the type for making chocolate bases) so you get perfect disks?

Or perhaps using a stencil to make small piles of sugar and using a torch to burlee them?

It might be quite handy if they were sized to perfectly close off the cavity to allow easier bottoming.

Since you've had one, can you speak to how fluid the custard is?

I have tasted one and the interestng thing is she doesn't have any bruleed sugar in there.  It's really just a nice rich vanilla custard.  A little bruleed sugar under some chocolate or cocoa butter would make a nice addition I think.

So what do you think would be the most efficient way to do that?

Carmalizing sugar, rolling it thin between two silpats, and breaking it up? Perhaps sandwitching a silicon circle stencil (of the type for making chocolate bases) so you get perfect disks?

Or perhaps using a stencil to make small piles of sugar and using a torch to burlee them?

It might be quite handy if they were sized to perfectly close off the cavity to allow easier bottoming.

Since you've had one, can you speak to how fluid the custard is?

I'd probably use the stencil to make the piles of sugar to brulee. I make a tiramisu chocolate and I put the crumbs in the bottom and wet them with a coffee mixture, then I put a very thin chocolate disc in behind that before piping in the cream. I suspect you could do the same with your bruleed disc of sugar.