• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Israeli Chocolate Festival

Lior

I have been very busy preparing for my first chocolate festivals-one on Thurs and Friday of next week and one of 3 days at the end of the month. It has been very difficult making such huge quantities- I am quite new at all this. I have had too many failures. I forgot to rewipe the molds after emptying out the chocolate and then set them upside down on my caramel bars to drip a bit out-just in case, so horrible thickish rims appeared and well, you can figure the rest out. Another disaster was making caramel yesterday, using what I thought was a silicone spatula. The caramel had kind of crystalized on it as I was pouring it into some peanut butter. Everything became crackly and strange looking. So I decided to taste what appeared to be a new creation - crackly peanut butter. It tasted weird. I knew I couldn't use it so I tossed it and began washing up, only to discover half a spatula! So yes, I ate my spatula. I didn't know whether to cry or laugh, but then burst out laughing. Chocolate is taking over my life!

gallery_53591_4944_8761.jpg

gallery_53591_4944_46710.jpg

gallery_53591_4944_54365.jpg

gallery_53591_4944_76014.jpg

gallery_53591_4944_40268.jpg

gallery_53591_4944_55091.jpg

Edited by Lior (log)

Is that your packaging? It's beautiful.

OMG, your story was priceless. I wonder what the nutritional value of a half-serving of spatula is. :laugh:

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Hey, despite all your obvious "disasters" you have some fabulous looking chocolates and packaging there! Your persistence is also inspiring. Good luck at the festivals.

I think spatulas are like cookies - so long as you eat them standing up they have zero calories. :laugh:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Lior,

I did the same thing too over the holidays. I forgot to wipe my molds. It's just part of being a chocolatier. Some days are great and other days everything just goes to pot! Your pigs are so cute :rolleyes: where did you get the molds from?

and what brand of chocolate are you using?

Thanks and have fun at the festival :wink:

Rena

Well, the pigs are actually fat mice!! :biggrin: The moulds are from Mol D'Art in Belgium. I mostly use Valrhona. This lot is Equatoriale Lactee and the white is Fruibel. I am glad to hear that it is not just me. Everyone's chocolate always looks so perfect and professional that I get mad at myself.

Well thanks!!

Ha! That's even funnier because I thought they were mice, but I didn't want to say that in case I was wrong, so I assumed they might be pigs. I love 'em no matter if they are swine or pest. Swine chocolates probably wouldn't be the most appropriate for Israel would they :)

I had a very similar pile during my Christmas production. I was having ambient temperature problems and lost many many chocolates. Don't think too hard about it. Just make a batch of Ling's brownies and toss the failed chocolates in.

Great pictures! I got a good laugh at the top one (and the story), have had days like that. I call them defective, pass them off to friends, never had one turned down because it looked ugly!

Your packaging is gorgeous!

Thanks so much to all for all the encouragement! I should make a poster of the failure pictures for my lab!! When I was feeling very very frustrated one evening after a "defective" session my little girl said to me, "Don't feel bad, mama, I am sure Jean Pierre had days like this, too!! And besides, you have me!!" So I said, "You know what? You are absolutely right!!" (hugs kisses, etc followed, of course!)

Awesome Lior! I'm inspired by your determination. I took a stab at molded chocolates a while back and basically said "(insert expletive that begins with "F" here) this mess". I was working with some old, floppy molds that belonged to my mom and it was a pain. I really wanted to work with them since they were moms but I finally gave up on the sentiment crap and bought a couple decent molds and things went much better. I'll never be at the level of the chocolate artists here though.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Lior, what a story! Thanks for sharing the good and the bad.

The final chocolates and packaging look wonderful -- what does the sheet say? Does it describe the chocolates in the box?

Wow you guys make a gal feel good! I will not give up! I hate every little air hole that I find! But from every mistake I learn how to do it better. There is nowhere here for me to learn so it is trial and error. yesterday I did darks with Valrhona Manjari- which I love! It is so complex! Everytime I taste it differently! The ones in the picture.

The butterfly: dark and milk chocolate with cream infused with jasmine green tea.

The double hearts: caramel without spatulas (I think it is too sweet...)

The heart : milk chocolate with vanilla bean infused cream and some Navon (vanilla brandy)

The "teardrop/paisley" : white chocolate with cream, praline and some Frangelico

The square: Milk chocolate mint ganache

The cameo: milk chocolate Earl Grey infused cream

The mouse - milk chocolate and praline

I have an English version of what is written on my box so I will attach it for whoever was interested if someone can tell me howto attach a file!

Thanks for everything and the support-badly needed!!

Wow you guys make a gal feel good! I will not give up! I hate every little air hole that I find! But from every mistake I learn how to do it better. There is nowhere here for me to learn so it is trial and error. yesterday I did darks with Valrhona Manjari- which I love! It is so complex! Everytime I taste it differently! The ones in the picture.

The butterfly: dark and milk chocolate with cream infused with jasmine green tea.

The double hearts: caramel without spatulas (I think it is too sweet...)

The heart : milk chocolate with vanilla bean infused cream and some Navon (vanilla brandy)

The "teardrop/paisley" : white chocolate with cream, praline and some Frangelico

The square: Milk chocolate mint ganache

The cameo: milk chocolate Earl Grey infused cream

The mouse - milk chocolate and praline

I have an English version of what is written on my box so I will attach it for whoever was interested if someone can tell me howto attach a file!

Thanks for everything and the support-badly needed!!

Very nice selection.

You can use a bittersweet dark chocolate with the caramel filling. It will help cut down the overall sweetness.

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

Yes! That is also why I thought to mix the caramel with chocolate and then coat with dark. The thing is that there are often people who like milk chocolate or even white chocolate. I made white chocolate swans filled with caramel (I know...) and white chocolate filled with plain white choc vanilla ganache. Each to their own... I like dark!

Yes! That is also why I thought to mix the caramel with chocolate and then coat with dark. The thing is that there are often people who like milk chocolate or even white chocolate. I made white chocolate swans filled with caramel (I know...) and white chocolate filled with plain white choc vanilla ganache.  Each to their own... I like dark!

I wasn't clear. The double hearts were molded in milk chocolate, try using dark chocolate to mold them

Mark

www.roseconfections.com