• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Want to know about these german coffee cake

Hi everyone... I have a friend that found a old recipe that her grandmother use to make for the holidays, and want to make it for baking and pastry class. It have some ingredients that had to be convert and I was wondering if here somebody know how. Here is the recipe:

- 2 cake yeast disolve in 1/2 cup of warm water (now idea of the convertion of cake yeast to instant yeast)

- 3 cups of warm milk

- 1/2 teaspoon of salt

-3/4 cup of sugar

- 1 egg

- 1 stick of oleo (whe asume this is butter or shortenning, but still not sure)

- 6 cup of flour

The name, cimakuta, we did not found anything similar in the internet, but probably when they came from Germany to the United States it get change or modify.

Thanks!

(Sorry my english mistakes)

Usually the cake yeast common in Germany is portioned for roughly 500g of flour for normal bread recipes, or a bit less flour for rolls. It looks like this recipe is assuming a higher yeast percentage, so use to packets of dried yeast or about 2 tablespoons.

However, if the rising time is long, I suspect you would want to use less yeast. I'm wondering if perhaps the recipe was adapted for the somewhat smaller size of cake yeast sold in the US on the (probably erroneous) assumption that more is needed to get the same "size" that the German cake yeast had. But with the roughly 600g of flour in your recipe, perhaps that's how much you need.

Oleo is an older term for margarine, but I think you would get better results with butter.

I found a similar combination of ingredients called "Kaffeeklatschkuchen" (coffee chatter cake, roughly), with the addition of lemon peel. That version uses 500g flour, 40g yeast (probably cake yeast), 50g sugar, 1/4 l lukewarm milk, 80g butter (a bit less than a stick), a pinch of salt, and lemon peel. There's no egg in this version. The filling/topping consists of raisins, almonds, chocolate, butter and sugar.

Hi everyone... I have a friend that found a old recipe that her grandmother use to make for the holidays, and want to make it for baking and pastry class. It have some ingredients that had to be convert and I was wondering if here somebody know how. Here is the recipe:

- 2 cake yeast disolve in 1/2 cup of warm water (now idea of the convertion of cake yeast to instant yeast)

- 3 cups of warm milk

- 1/2 teaspoon of salt

-3/4 cup of sugar

- 1 egg

- 6 cup of flour

The name, cimakuta, we did not found anything similar in the internet, but probably when they came from Germany to the United States it get change or modify.

Thanks!

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

A stick of oleo is a half cup US measure.

Butter or shortening can be used in place of oleo. The issue is that butter contains water and oleo and shortening do not contain water so you be the judge. There's aleady a lot of liquid in there.

The amount of yeast in my dry packet is closer to two teaspoons rather than a full tablespoon which is three teaspoons. I always thought it was a full tablespoon but I just measured it.

This looks a lot like a kuchen I used to make tons of.

Please let us know how it turns out.

- 3 cups of warm milk

- 1/2 teaspoon of salt

-3/4 cup of sugar

- 1 egg

- 6 cup of flour

Thanks!

The recipe looks like the German "Hefezopf" recipe. The amout of each ingredient in your recipe seems to be nearly three times the value of a normal sized Hefezopf. I'll check out my recipe books and send you the recipe and how to prepare it. "Cimakuta" may be derived from "Sommerkuchen" but thats another one. It would be helpfull to know where the Grandmother came from to find out the basics.

H.B. aka "Legourmet"