• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sarasota, Port Charlotte, Ft. Myers Area

Peter the eater

I am flying down to see family in a few weeks - for the the first time in their new place in Port Charlotte and I'm looking for ideas. I hope to leave the kids with the grandparents and have a dinner date with my wife somewhere not too far - like Fort Meyers or Sarasota.

If there is something truly hot and not to be missed, that's good. If there's a unique institution or local favorite, that's equally good. I've been to Florida several times but it has been a few years and good food has never been a priority in past visits.

I am a big fan of citrus and seafood and I hope to find that and more . . . thanks in advance.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

You should have no problem finding citrus (Honeybelle's are in!) and seafood in that part of Florida. Unfortunately, I have not been to that area since before Hurricane Charley came through, so can't speak to it.

I will ask around and see what I can find out.