• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Harry Johnson Available to Download!

jazzyjeff

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd share this link with you for two great downloads.

http://www.euvs.org/Books.html

Jared Brown, Anistatia Miller and everyone at EUVS have done a great job in scanning both Harry Johnson's Bartender's Manual and Frank Newman's American Bar as part of their excellent museum project.

Anyone who buys vintage bar books from Ebay etc will know the scarcity and value of these books. The last time I saw them for sale, Harry Johnson went for over $1000 and Newman for around $700.

The Newman book is the first I know of to record the "Dry Martini" recipe and the Harry Johnson book is identical (except for a few adverts) to the 1900 edition and jammed full of interesting info.

Enjoy the reading,

Jeff

very excited... thanks to whoever participated in getting the books online!

so the book's introduction mentions a "tourney of skill" in 1869 happening in new orleans... i wonder if any newspapers record it happening...

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

very excited... thanks to whoever participated in getting the books online!

so the book's introduction mentions a "tourney of skill" in 1869 happening in new orleans... i wonder if any newspapers record it happening...

so wonderich gets to the bottom of it all on p. 256 (bijou) in "imbibe"... curiously that very large entry about johnson, harry misses the index...

his bijou is an interesting drink on paper, i'd have the change the proportions to make it work for me...

bostonapothecary.com

henry lyman's book is so interesting... i think i can really relate to him. his ingredients are avante-gard... kumquats during prohibition? his drinks names have a sense of humor...

as he claims everything seems to capture "desperate or interesting" circumstances... i often find myself in similar predicaments...

"this is inserted, not because it was good, but because it was all we could get..."

bostonapothecary.com