• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Madrid Fusión 2008

With the program looking to be particularly outstanding, I am giving serious thought to heading to Madrid for Madrid Fusión 2008, but will need to do so on a serious budget. Food, of course is the first priority, but good inexpensive lodging will go a long way to allowing for more to spend on food. I have a few questions, answers to which may be helpful to myself as well as others attending this event or simply traveling to Madrid.

1. What are the current can't miss restaurants in Madrid?

2. Recommendations for good, inexpensive hotels with reasonable access to the conference as well as places I would want to go in Madrid. Metro is probably the desired mode of transportation. Any do's and dont's regarding the metro? Economical access options for the metro?

3. Strategy for attending the conference. Can anyone relay a good strategy for getting the most out of the conference? Is food available there? Can one actually get to everything or will difficult choices need to be made? I will be interested in people's experiences navigating past conferences.

4. Post Conference. I am thinking of extending my trip for a few days after the conference. Possibilities include San Sebastien, Sevilla, Galicia or simply staying in and around Madrid. My first choice would probably be to head up to San Sebastien to score a couple of specific meals. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to do that most economically? I will be traveling solo.

Planning time is running short. Thanks for any help you can provide. You can, I think, safely assume that I will report back should I be able to put this trip together. :wink:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

With the program looking to be particularly outstanding, I am giving serious thought to heading to Madrid for Madrid Fusión 2008, but will need to do so on a serious budget. Food, of course is the first priority, but good inexpensive lodging will go a long way to allowing for more to spend on food. I have a few questions, answers to which  may be helpful to myself as well as others attending this event or simply traveling to Madrid.

1. What are the current can't miss restaurants in Madrid?

An all across the board seletion could be: DiverXo, Viridiana, Sacha, Arce, kabuki, la Broche, Santceloni, La Tasquita de Enfrente, Asturianos, Combarro...

2. Recommendations for good, inexpensive hotels with reasonable access to the conference as well as places I would want to go in Madrid. Metro is probably the desired mode of transportation. Any do's and dont's regarding the metro? Economical access options for the metro?

Check www.atrapalo.com where there are usually good offers.

Metro is the cheapest and fastest way to move in Madrid, it is very safe and the best tip is to buy a 10 travel ticket and avoid line commutations.

3. Strategy for attending the conference. Can anyone relay a good strategy for getting the most out of the conference? Is food available there? Can one actually get to everything or will difficult choices need to be made? I will be interested in people's experiences navigating past conferences.

It is very easy to attend almost all of them but for some special events you have to book a seat in advance.

Regarding food, there are a lot of stands where you can sample their products for free, so you can get a cheap meal. Some stalls like Joselito's are usually packed.

4. Post Conference. I am thinking of extending my trip for a few days after the conference. Possibilities include San Sebastien, Sevilla,  Galicia or simply staying in and around Madrid. My first choice would probably be to head up to San Sebastien to score a couple of specific meals. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to do that most economically? I will be traveling solo.

Bus will be the cheapest option but is taugh. Train is comfortable and not that expensive.

What about a lechazo and cochinillo trip around Old Castilla?

Rogelio Enríquez aka "Rogelio"

Thanks, Rogelio. As always, you are a font of knowledge!

A lechazo and cochinillo trip is certainly one of the better options that I would be interested in.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Well doc, there'a one restaurant post-conference that you as far as I know have not been to yet: Etxebarri.

Do try it, although I do not know their fare in January.

Obviously combined with San Sebastian area etc.. Car is a must though.

Well doc, there'a one restaurant post-conference that you as far as I know have not been to yet: Etxebarri.

Do try it, although I do not know their fare in January.

Obviously combined with San Sebastian area etc.. Car is a must though.

Etxebarri is one of the restaurants that I most want to try in the world. Unfortunately, I don't think the logistics or economics will allow it this time.

Twitter - @docsconz

• 2 weeks later...

Madrid Fusion is now underway. This is the first day of what promises to be a jam-packed 4 days of food and information. It is a large event and is taking some getting used to, but I plan to write a report with ongoing highlights if I can manage it and a more detailed repoort with impressions and photos later on.

The first presentation was one on ¨bistronomics¨or what is otherwise know in these forums as ¨the new restaurant paradigm¨ of top quality, alta cocina preparation of good, but generally inexpensive products for an inexpensive price at an informal and generally small restaurant. The presenters included Rafa Peña of restaurante Gresca in Barcelona who has a prix fixe meal of 18Euros and Iñaki Aizpitarte of Restaurant Le Chateaubriand in Paris, who offers an even less expensive menu at 15 Euros. The dishes they prepared looked beautiful and appetizing. I hope to follow with photos soon.

Twitter - @docsconz

It as an amazing morning at Madrid Fusion ith preesentations by Michel Troigros and others that I shall discuss at another time, but the morning belonged to Ferran Adria who had a triumphant return to the Madrid Fusion stage. This as his first opportunity here after Santi Santamaria´s finish to last year´s program. To Adria´s credit, he refused to get caught up in the fray, instead calling for freedom for all chefs to do what they want in their own kitchens. This received a very enthusiastic response from the adoring audience who hung on his every word. After that the bulk of his presentation involved various techniques from the 2007 season.

Edited by docsconz (log)

Twitter - @docsconz

Very interesting stuff and I cannot wait for your posts.

There are some videos (in Spanish) at the following link.

Madrid Fusion

Also, there has been a lot of talk at the Conference and everywhere else about the bistronomic.

An affordable highcuisine restaurant. Low Cost Gastronomy as they call it. Barcelona seems to have quite a few (although Hisop and Coure are not low cost compared to the other options). Among the restaurants: Acai, Àpat, Àtica, Caldeni, Catalina, Comiols, Hisop, Coure, La Mifanera, La Tasqueta, Ot...

To Adria´s credit, he refused to get caught up in the fray, instead calling for freedom for all chefs to do what they want in their own kitchens. This received a very enthusiastic response from the adoring audience who hung on his every word.

There is a point of demagogy and need of recognition in Adrià's claim for freedom after last year's attack by Santamaría.

Rogelio Enríquez aka "Rogelio"

To Adria´s credit, he refused to get caught up in the fray, instead calling for freedom for all chefs to do what they want in their own kitchens. This received a very enthusiastic response from the adoring audience who hung on his every word.

There is a point of demagogy and need of recognition in Adrià's claim for freedom after last year's attack by Santamaría.

No doubt that was Ferran's response to Santi's statements last year,which is why I mentioned it even if he did not specifically refer to it.

Twitter - @docsconz

Madrid Fusion 2008 is now history. It has been a whirlwind with much going on and little sleep. I will start getting my thoughts together about all that I experienced and will start putting them down along with a few photos after I return home and find the necessary time. In a nutshell, the three most significant aspects to me were the combined expressed wisdom of Arzak, Subijana and Adria, the official coming out party for the new generation of creative Scandinavian chefs led by Rene Redzepi of Copenhagen's Noma and the emergence of a project to codify a history of western fine dining along with a ten-point analysis and definition of the vanguardist style of cooking called "Techno-emotional cuisine", both by the writer and thinker, Pau Arenos. The latter project was offered with a spirited round-table discussion that included eGullet Society member Victor de la Serna along with other international luminaries and audience members such as Ferran Adria, Juan Mari and Elena Arzak, Aduriz, Italy's Davide Scabin amongst a number of others.

Twitter - @docsconz

• 2 weeks later...

Doc, now I know you've retired from your hectic international schedule of eating at the worlds best restaurants for egullet, :biggrin:

but are there many photos? I need a hit.

Edited by adey73 (log)