• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinaria series by Konemann

I recently found out that Koenemann Publishers, the publishers of the popular Culinaria series, was bought by Ullmann Publishers and they seem to be putting out cookbooks etc again...

Im still trying to obtain Culinaria: India, Culinaria: Britania and Eire.

Ive found out theres a Culinaria: Russia...

Heres the new website (in German)

http://217.160.173.87/wvs/koenemann/view.p...baa7f679ff6b549

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

I was at costco yesterday and I saw that they had a few of these books. I know I saw Greece and France, but they weren't labeled with a price. They might have had others. Anyway, it might be worth checking out if you have a costco nearby.

I have them all. The Culinaria America Book is quite thorough so for that reason I love them so much that I was hoping and praying for extensive Asian varieties to follow, then Koenemann went outta business.

They NEED Japan, Korea, China (probably a Boxed set) Thailand, Philippines etc.

And UK and that area, Oceania, Canada, Africa and South America...Oh and the area encompassing Norway, Sweden, Denmark etc...

ONLY Culinaria can give us the type of Japanese cookbook I think people have been wanting... Which Japanese cookbooks that you know of have Combini food, Takoyaki, KareAge. Daifuku and even MENTION Pocky and KitKats...

NO ONE.

Which is why Im ecstatic that Ullmann bought Koenemann...

Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

• 1 month later...
I recently found out that Koenemann Publishers, the publishers of the popular Culinaria series, was bought by Ullmann Publishers and they seem to be putting out cookbooks etc again...

There are ISBNs for India and Britannia/Eire, but the books themselves were never published.

The original German version of Culinaria: Russia is currently in print and available through Amazon.de. or www.buchgourmet.de ... I assume the English edition will be coming along sometime.

There is apparently also a collection of Mini-Culinaria books--I just ordered Könemann's German edition of Mini Culinaria Provence. Quite a few others seem to be in the pipeline too.

• 2 weeks later...

anyone looking for the Culinaria books should check out their local Borders. i found a couple of the books in the bargain rack at an LA Borders for $14!!

Unfortunately they are too heavy for me to carry home, but if you are in SoCal, they are at the Borders on the 3rd St. Promenade in Santa Monica. If not, try your local Borders

There are ISBNs for India and Britannia/Eire, but the books themselves were never published.

I just did a search for the Culinaria titles on Border's website and it indicates they have the India title available.

I just did a search for the Culinaria titles on Border's website and it indicates they have the India title available.

Mukki,

When I saw your post, my heart started to pound, and I rushed over to the Borders/Amazon site to search for the India book... alas, I saw the following message:

"Availability: Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."

http://www.amazon.com/Culinaria-India/dp/3...86700268&sr=1-3

It still hasn't been published. I also checked the German Amazon site, and the German edition still isn't available.

Where did you see the available listing? Could you post the URL?

Edited by StevenC (log)

Mukki,

When I saw your post, my heart started to pound, and I rushed over to the Borders/Amazon site to search for the India book... alas, I saw the following message:

"Availability: Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."

http://www.amazon.com/Culinaria-India/dp/3...86700268&sr=1-3

It still hasn't been published. I also checked the German Amazon site, and the German edition still isn't available.

Where did you see the available listing? Could you post the URL?

Check this link (if that doesn't work, go to bordersstores.com and search for "culinaria"). It states that the status is "in print" and available for order. I didn't actually go through the ordering process, though, so who knows -- info might not be correct.

I did pick up the Germany and Greece editions at a local Borders (bargain priced).

• 4 months later...

I have been collecting as many of these valuable and seemingly rare tomes as I can get my hands on for a few years now. I know that the German publisher Konemann Verlagsgesellschaft, founded in 1993, had monumental distribution issues and filed for bankruptcy protection in December 2001, according to a 2003 article in Publisher's Weekly. The author, Karen Holt, states that publishing house Tandem Verlag "will acquire numerous rights and all the bankrupt publisher's remaining stock, which will be sold at regular retail prices."

This is great news for lovers of super high-quality 'cookbooks'. I use the quotes because these are much more than mere cookbooks, although they do contain a plethora of recipes and procedures. These excellent volumes are really comprehensive cultural and ethnic studies. Outstanding production values coupled with exhaustive research into regional folklore concerning all styles of food preparation and wines and spirits, make these books invaluable for the food connoisseur (or book connoisseur for that matter). They are gorgeous. Seek them out wherever possible at all costs, for you will not be dissapointed.

Titles published to date, as far as I can determine, are as follows: The United States: A Culinary Discovery, France, Spain, Italy, The Carribean: A Culinary Discovery, Hungary, Southeast Asian Specialties, Greece, Germany, and most recently (at least in English), Russia. I am waiting breathlessly for India and Britain and Eire, supposedly in the works.

Anyone possessing further information regarding any other available volumes in this series in English, please post!

Cheers,

Kevin

Kevin,

I purchased my first Konemann book (Culinaria- European Specialties Vol. 1&2) more than a decade ago and have since found all the one's you mention, plus several others. They are: Europe's Master Chefs, Culina Mundi, Exotic Desserts from the French Caribbean, Dine with Europe's Master Chefs, Dine with France's Master Chefs, Organic & Wholefoods, Andre Domine's comprehensive and amazing Wine and, though not food related, a beautiful two-volume set The Art of East Asia. I'm really looking forward to India.

I have a number of these books and do like them, but they can be very poor in some respects. Fish are often misidentified (sometimes other items) and in the English edition of "European Specialties" pg 1-15 are in German, this is the index and part of the "England" section. On the other hand they do contain some very interesting local dishes that I have not seen else where.

Kevin,

I purchased my first Konemann book (Culinaria- European Specialties Vol. 1&2) more than a decade ago and have since found all the one's you mention, plus several others.  They are: Europe's Master Chefs, Culina Mundi, Exotic Desserts from the French Caribbean, Dine with Europe's Master Chefs, Dine with France's Master Chefs, Organic & Wholefoods, Andre Domine's comprehensive and amazing Wine and, though not food related, a beautiful two-volume set The Art of East Asia.  I'm really looking forward to India.

Hi Marya,

I have recently found out that Ullmann publishers of Germany now has the rights to former Konemann titles, and is marketing the Culinaria series again. I have also heard that Culinaria India, and Britannia & Eire were produced but never released, as by that time Konemann was in trouble. This means that these titles should be released within the next year or two. I do have European Specialties, and have seen the others you mention.

Kevin

I wish they would publish one on Arab/North African/Persian cuisines.

I have France, Italy and Spain. I buy them when Borders offers 30% off coupons and will continue to buy other titles. I keep them on the side table in the living room. Most guests look at them rather than the art books I also put out.

Edited by Susie Q (log)

Borders has the Softcover issue of Culinaria Russia for $9.99...

Get your copy while you can...

They have in my area France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Southeast Asian Specialties also for $9.99 (soft cover).

Edited by Susie Q (log)

In Ontario Costco has a pile of these - all Mediterranean regions - for $5.49 each! I bought Turkey and Morocco, but they also had Spain, France, Greece, Mediterranean Islands, Tunisia and Italy. They're beautiful but I find the recipes a little oddly laid out. Some good stuff in there though.

• 6 months later...

WHATTT! Why are all the prices so CHEAP?!

I made my first discovery of the Culinaria series today (having sat in a bookstore and read through the entire Culinaria Germany for hours) and fell in LOVE with it, especially because I'm on the look out for a good, authentic German book that also involves history notes and so on. Anyhow, I saw it for $44 (and that's on sale!) and judging by the book's size, I was forced to return it. Where does everybody find these prices...

I'm hoping they do continue the Culinaria series.

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

I made my first discovery of the Culinaria series today (having sat in a bookstore and read through the entire Culinaria Germany for hours) and fell in LOVE with it, especially because I'm on the look out for a good, authentic German book that also involves history notes and so on. Anyhow, I saw it for $44 (and that's on sale!) and judging by the book's size, I was forced to return it. Where does everybody find these prices...

Try Amazon marketplace or Powells. You should be able to find the Culinaria books for much less.

Borders bookstores here carries them in paperback for $9.99 each. I've seen Germany, Russia, Italy and one or two other countries. If you'd like, PM me a list of the titles you want and I can mail them to you at cost + postage. (The online prices are much higher!)

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

• 4 months later...

How did I miss that post I have no idea! Thanks for the kind offer SuzySushi but since I'm in NY at the moment, I discovered the Culinaria series at a fairly cheap price.

Just wanted to know though, I spotted the smaller sized versions (much more convenient actually), are they simply a shrinkage in paper size or in content also?

Edit: I'm not talking about the 'Mini Culinaria' series btw. The ones I saw have the exact same covers as the original books (but soft cover if I recall correctly).

Edited by Ce'nedra (log)

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

• 1 year later...