• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Zero Otto Nove

Kobi

Anybody been?? Apparently it opened recently and has some lineage to Roberto's.....It sounds great. The tip came from Authur Schwartz's letter....

from his newsletter

"....Roberto's has been a destination restaurant for years. Now Zero Otto Nove has become one. It is already, after only a few months in > business, drawing customers from the hinterlands, and for several good > reasons. Top among them, I am sure, is the Neapolitan-style pizza that may > be the best you've ever had in the U.S., and better than many in Naples, > as I just described. I know I am going out on a limb with that remark, > but I know what I am doing. Well, I hope I am not setting anyone up for a > disappointment.

>

> Zero Otto Nove's pizzaiolo , its pizza maker, Ricardo, who indeed has > enough charisma to be called by only one name, like Garbo or Cher, is > originally from Naples. But he last worked in downtown Salerno. He was > making such good pizza in Salerno that my Salernitani friends suggested > that the place he worked at, Pizza Margherita, would be a good substitute > for Pizzeria Vicolo della Neve, my usual haunt, but which, in the summer, > is way too hot and airless to be enjoyable...."

• 2 months later...

On EG's recommendation, we went. Very pretty space. Nice appetizer of buffalo mozzarella, canelli beans, roast peppers and out of season tomatoes.

The pizza was good, not great. I had a broccoli rabe, buffalo mozzarella and sausage pizza. The quality of the sausage was no where as good as Nick's.

The crust was good, but became soggy on the plate. The DH had a ham, olive, tomato and Mozz pizza. Also good, not mind blowing. I would happily go there again when on Arthur Ave. No need for a special trip. We got there at 12 pm sharp to get a seat. The place filled up slowly, so no need to rush.

A note of advice; unless you need to, do not shop on Arthur Ave. right before Palm Sunday or Easter. It's a mob scene. Got some amazing veal shanks though.

• 3 years later...

I had very good food at Zero Otto Nove tonight.

Polpettine, Polenta & Caprino (small meatballs, spicy tomato sauce, polenta & goat cheese)

P1000038.JPG

Pizza La San Matteo (fresh mozzarella, sausage & broccoli rabe)

P1000039.JPG

Pizza Diavola (tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella, basil& spicy sopressata)

P1000041.JPG

Pizza Margherita (tomato sauce, parmigiano, fresh mozzarella & basil)

P1000040.JPG

I didn't do much research before going -- it was kind of a last-minute decision to try a place that had been on my radar for a few years, based mostly on its location half way between my home and my friend's place in Westchester. So I was caught a little off guard by the fanciness of the place. People were dressed to go out for a Saturday night on the town. My friend and I totally did not fit in -- I was the only person in the place, I'm sure, wearing a single piece of clothing from the Land's End catalog. The women wore makeup and tight dresses, and were very thin. The men wore more jewelry than the women. Thing like stemware and the dining room were much nicer than I'd anticipated.

If you like the officially regarded correct texture of Neapolitan pizza crust -- pillow-like and pliable -- you will really enjoy the pizza here. The toppings are great, many from area Arthur Avenue vendors (e.g. cheese from Casa Della Mozzarella). I think the best part was the sauce, which was well seasoned and had a vibrant, sweet, tomato taste. The menu beyond the pizzas is ambitious. I'd like to try everything. As it was all we could handle was the meatball-polenta-goat-cheese appetizer, which I really enjoyed.

I am quite full.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

This place has always been on my list too. But since you mention that it was fancier than you expected, is it not appropriate for kids if we went early (mine are 6 1/2 and 4 1/2)? Did you bring your son with you? I always thought it was somewhat casual.

I tried the Flatiron location for lunch last weekend. I think FatGuy pretty much hit the nail on the head for their pizzas. I tend to prefer my crust a little crispier (next time maybe order it "well done"?) but I could appreciate the soft texture of their crust - pretty easy on the jaw. The sauce on my Margherita definitely stood out though - really bright and vibrant.

As part of the $24 PF lunch, I also enjoyed an app consisting of some rosemary-scented cannelini beans, broccoli rabe, and housemade pork sausage, which was excellent and a fairly substantial portion to boot. Tack on a cannoli for dessert and it was way more than I needed for lunch.

Great addition to the neighborhood. I'll definitely be back.