• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Chateau" by William Maxwell

Margaret Pilgrim

With several current threads dealing with first/early visits to France, I can't help but think about the experiences/education of the young couple who are the central characters in this vintage novel by William Maxwell. Arriving in France shortly after the end of WWII when France was little prepared to receive guests, and with little cultural understanding of the French, the young Rhodes instruct us (or remind us of our own past mistakes) in the subtleties of French life as they learn the ropes.

While almost 50 years old, their experiences at table are point on today. Tuck a copyin your carry- on and arrive ahead of the game.

eGullet member #80.

Thanks, Margaret -- this is the book I want to read now. I'll follow eGullet's amazon link and order it tonight. Vintage Maxwell -- how could that be bad?

Your description reminded me of another novel, its close contemporary: Rumer Godden's The Greengage Summer, about innocence and ones first experience of France. I loved that book.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I came across a used copy of The Chateau a few years ago and have read it at least twice since then. It's definitely worth searching out.

And thanks for the reminder of Godden's Greengage Summer. I recall reading it decades ago, enjoyed it a lot, but have very little recollection of it now. I think I would like to re-read it.