• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Old Monk - where to buy

cassandra

Hello,

I'm desperately trying to find either a online, phone or email order location for Old Monk rum, specifically the 7 year blend. A roommate of mine brought me back a single bottle from her trip home to Bombay and I haven't been able to find any supplier stateside nor on the internet.

Does anyone have any leads? Much appreciated. =)

Cassandra

I was contacted last year about this rum and was told that it is available in New York and New Jersey.

A friend bought me a botte in Chicago, so it is making its way west. Where are you located?

I'll see if I can find out more.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Greetings Cassandra,

Every time that I am in LA area I head down south to Costa Mesa and buy my rum at Hi-Time Wine Cellars and pick up a fine cigar along with my Rum. It's a great shop and they have very good prices and a great selection. Click here to a map of the area. I've looked at their current inventory and do not see the rum that you seek, but give them a call and see if they can order it for you.

Good luck, Dan

P.S.: Please let us know if and where you find it, there is not enough follow through in this forum and too many threads go unfinished.

Cheers

"Traveler, you who sail into the Caribbean in silvered yacht or gilded cruise ship, pause as you enter these waters to remember that deep below rest three men of honor who helped determine the history of this onetime Spanish Lake: Sir John Hawkins, builder of the English navy; Sir Francis Drake, conqueror of all known seas; Admiral Ledesma, stubborn enhancer of his king's prerogatives and the interests of his own strong family"

James A. Michener - Caribbean

Jeff - Yes, I saw that site listing. I might have to check it out.

Dan - Hi-Time sounds like fun. =) I might have to drag the boyfriend down there this weekend, see if we can find the 7 year. If not, I'm sure we'll find other goodies there.

And definitely, I'll let you all know what I can find out. Thanks for the tip!

Cassandra

*edit*

Ooh, they've got Hana Bay! Good cheap rum for mixing!

/fond memories of Maui

Here are the latest listing for Old Monk in New York.

In order for a rum to be sold in other states it has to be approved by the state liquor commission, which varies from state to state. I don't think it is available in California yet.

Ray & Frank Liquor Store

706 9th Ave. (48St. West)

Elman's New Gramacy

279 3rd Ave. (22St.)

Zeeman Liquors

47 University Place (9/10 St.)

Embassy Wines & Liquors

796 Lexington Ave. (61/62 St. E)

Mister Wright

1593 Third Ave.

New Ehrlichs Wines & Liquors

222 Amsterdam Ave. (70 St. W)

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

I asked the distiller to have his importer add retail stores in the US to my trade registry so hopefully when distribution expands I'll be able to keep you up to date. Have you tried any of the other Indian rums?

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

Ooooh, that sounds awesome Ed!

And no, I haven't tried any other Indian rums...from what I can tell from my Indian friends, the 7 year Old Monk is their "cheap stuff" and is quite popular with the Indian military as it's sold in their PX's, which is where my particular bottle came from.

I also did not get a chance to get down to Orange County this weekend (I live about an hour or so away) - but I will get there soon, I hope, and give you all a full report. =)

Cassandra