• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bouchonne Comptoir a Vin

phedre

I am shocked that this place hasn't shown up on the egullet radar yet!

Opened on December 5th, Bouchonne seats about 35 in a warm, inviting atmosphere dominated by an open kitchen/bar that runs the length of the establishment. Warm woods and red are the main colours, with low lighting that illuminates a chalkboard menu over banquette seating.

The menu on the boards is small but delicious, with such lovelies as devilled quails eggs and crab sticks, cheese plates, and daily specials. Having been numerous times since the opening, every dish I've sampled has had me crying out for more.

Their wine list leaves nothing to be desired - everything's available by the glass, and runs the gamut from a delicious vin jaune to rich burgundies. The service is excellent and has steadily improved since my first visit, two days after they opened.

After being stuck in the wilds of New Brunswick for two weeks over the holidays, I ran to Bouchonne for a fix this evening. If you have half a chance, go try the oven baked cod with salmon cream cheese, capers, and bagel crisps. Oh my dear god it is SO GOOD.

For dessert, I had a glass of Juracon sweet wine. The crisp granny smith apple acidity made my mouth water. I had seconds. Gorgeous!

Definitely take the time to check this place out. I've never been able to escape for under $100, but I tend to spend a lot on wine by the gass, so your mileage may vary.

comptoir à vin « bouchonné »

9 Fairmount East

514 273-8846

Disclaimer: 1) a renunciation of any claim to or connection with; 2) disavowal; 3) a statement made to save one's own ass

Tried it yesterday. The place is superb and the service was excellent (down-to-earth and friendly, but the guy also knew his menu, which is always appreciated).

The atmosphere was great except for a relatively large group in front talking a bit loudly.. . oh yeah, wait a minute, it was Normand Laprise and his gang from Toqué. Talk of a way to earn instant cred!

(They weren't even really loud by the way, they just seemed to enjoy themselves).

I liked the food but after such a stellar review from Phedre, I was perhaps expecting too much. The tripe stew was underseasoned and very, well, "tripey". The carpaccio, served lukewarm intentionally, was also pretty bland. And I’m not sure I’m loving the lukewarm temp…

The quail eggs were fun, so was the shrimp stick in prune sauce (could have been crispier though). The grilled morteau saucisson with leek “jus” was wonderful on the other hand. It reminded me of a Montée de Lait dish. The cheese plate was superb.

All in all I was very pleased, (oh yeah, the wine was also very good, and I love that everything can be had by the glass… but I have had better wine, for less (thinking of Laloux here)). I think the kitchen is trying out all sorts of stuff which is audacious, but it’s not yet at a point where you can expect a hit with every dish. I will love to see this place mature.

Tons of places haven't shown up here. This is the new offering from la Montee de Lait. Kicthen Gallery is another one that should have its own thread...

True, an unfortunate side effect of the decline in posters on this board. Ah well.

Disclaimer: 1) a renunciation of any claim to or connection with; 2) disavowal; 3) a statement made to save one's own ass