• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fried or Roasted Taters

Suvir Saran

Pre-boiling potatoes permeates them with water, which inhibits the absorption of fat into their structure when they are later sauteed/roasted. Whether or not you pre-boil them should therefor be at least partially determined by whether or not you think that's a good thing.

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

Savur, I cook mine just the opposite-- Heat on med low temp till potatoes are cooked thru and begining to brown. Then, turn heat up to med-high and allow to brown well. I also add onion about halfway through. If they're added at the start, they are bitter little carbon chunks at the end. Another thought-----Who chunks and who slices? I grew up with slices and husband grew up with chunks. I chunk now as there is much more potato flavor and I love the meatiness in the chunk whereas with slices, you get more crispyness.

Only seasoning is salt and pepper.

Stop Family Violence

When I cook smallish red potatoes in the oven with rosemary sometimes I peel a belt away around each potato's equator.  If the potatoes in question seem to indicate, that is.  One of those Cheap Cooking Tricks, like strewing seeds atop bread, that affects people at the table beyond what it seems it oughta.

I do the same.... with red potatoes and also baby red radish.

It is more aesthetic than anything else.

:biggrin:

Yes it is. Never done it for radishes, but, makes perfect sense!

Will apply this idea Sunday, I think, if this sudden coming-over-with-near-certitude that I'll be serving radishes Sunday can be given credence.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Yes it is. Never done it for radishes, but, makes perfect sense!

Will apply this idea Sunday, I think, if this sudden coming-over-with-near-certitude that I'll be serving radishes Sunday can be given credence.

I make a sambhaar in which I do the radishes this way.

Sambhaar is a spicy South Indian lentil preparation. More like a stew.

It is the sauce that is served alongside Dosas in Indian restaurants.

If you need a recipe, let me know and I can PM it to you.

Boil small red potatoes until cooked but still very firm. Let them cool and slice into 1/4 inch rounds. Saute in half butter and half oil of your choice. When nicely browned and almost done add chopped garlic, shallot and parsley. Finish with a little more butter.

PJ

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)