• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheap high precision scales and refractometers

TheSwede

I was surfing the net for a reasonably priced high precision digital scale, 0.1 gram precision or so. Useful when dabbling in "molecular gastronomy" (and maybe high precision pastry?).

I found this German Ebay shop that sells a lot of different high precision scales, some with precision down to 0.001g:

http://stores.ebay.de/uzman-import_W0QQcol...3QQftidZ2QQtZkm

I just ordered a 2000 g - 0.1 scale from him for only 15 EUR( :blink: ). I will let you know if he actually delivers and if it works as advertised.

I also noticed that he has refractometers. I know next to nothing about pastry, but I belive it is a pretty expensive instrument used to determine the density of sugar (?) solutions. He has refractometers on offer for 26 EUR which I think is a good price?

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with that site. I just ordered one item suspiciously cheap which hasn't arrived yet. Beware - at least until I have recieved the item and reported back here.

Regarding scales, you might be interested to see this older thread: -

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=107829

Regarding refractometers, I've wondered about getting one for home winemaking.

BUT, I'm not sure they actually offer any advantage over conventional density measurement, since their measurement (as with density) is influenced by the concentration of *both* alcohol and sugar.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

• 2 weeks later...

Scale arrived during last week and works as advertised. I don't have a calibration weight, but I tried the scale with sheets of gelatine which I know weights 1.7 g each.

I even tried it with a 1.2 kg approx load and added a single 1.7 g sheet of gelatine. Worked perfectly!

I think it is a excellent bargain for 15 EUR.