• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mashed Potato Substitutes

RAHiggins1

Hi, I'm looking for a suitable replacement puree for my pommes that does not have starch in it, yet will at least simulate the same creamy, buttery, goodness that is smashed taters.

So far I have ruled out parsnips (are there any starchless root veggies?) and am considering cauliflower or possibly some types of legumes like favre beans.

Any suggestions or recipes?

Edit* Additionally, is there one potato that has less starch than another? I would rather just cut back than eliminate the food entirely.

Edited by RAHiggins1 (log)
Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

Has anyone ever tried combining vegetables? Maybe one potato in the turnip or cauliflower? I'd really like to try to retain the flavor and and texture to some extent.

Hi, I'm looking for a suitable replacement puree for my pommes that does not have starch  in it, yet will at least simulate the same creamy, buttery, goodness that is smashed taters.

So far I have ruled out parsnips (are there any starchless root veggies?) and am considering cauliflower or possibly some types of legumes like favre beans.

Edit* Additionally, is there one potato that has less starch than another? I would rather just cut back than eliminate the food entirely.

Ever try taro?

They are called eddoes in the Caribbean or kalo in Hawaii, both types of taro (I think). They are neither tubers nor bulbs, rather they're specialized underground stems called corms. I can't speak to the starch content but I can tell you that they are very creamy. Cut open a raw one and the blade gets milky - they are terrific in a mash with spuds and turnips and carrots, etc.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Hi, I'm looking for a suitable replacement puree for my pommes that does not have starch  in it, yet will at least simulate the same creamy, buttery, goodness that is smashed taters.

Ever try taro?

They are called eddoes in the Caribbean or kalo in Hawaii, both types of taro (I think). They are neither tubers nor bulbs, rather they're specialized underground stems called corms. I can't speak to the starch content but I can tell you that they are very creamy. Cut open a raw one and the blade gets milky - they are terrific in a mash with spuds and turnips and carrots, etc.

I had researched Taro from a link on wikipedia while reading up on the nutrional value of parsnips. Taro is also a high starch root vegetable. I'd like to try it, especially since it is a staple in the polynesian diet but it also will have to be in moderation. At least until I drop from 205 to 165 pounds.

Has anyone ever tried combining vegetables? Maybe one potato in the turnip or cauliflower? I'd really like to try to retain the flavor and and texture to some extent.

I regularly combine potato and other veggies, because I like them. Carrots, rutabaga, parsnips, squash and cauliflower all work well.

Go with the mashed cauliflower. If you've never done it, you'll be surprised. It's fabulous. I used to follow directions in South Beach Diet, but now I wing it. I'm sure it's on a thread around here somewhere, but here's a link to another recipe:  Mashed Cauliflower.

I read the recipe, I think I will be trying it except I see myself adding some grated parmesagn or asiago to it. I'm also going to saute' a small dice mirepoix with fennel deglazed with grapefruit juice on pan seared halibut.

Although legumes are generally very high in fiber, they are also relatively high in starch if you're really trying to avoid it (e.g. to control diabetes). Other starchy plant-based foods (some mentioned above) are plantains, taro, parsnips, peas, corn, winter squashes (butternut, hubbard, etc.) and yams/sweet potatoes.

You're right that most root vegetables are pretty high in starch- I can't really think of one that is "carbohydrate-free". Then again, not many plant-based foods are. If you'd like to check out the carbohydrate content of just about any food, check out this USDA database, which can provide you info on the carbohydrate content of a particular quantity cooked in a particular way:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

You may not be able to get super-specific with variety (e.g. yukon gold vs. russet potatoes) and it can be a little finicky (e.g. "potato" will turn up different results that "potatoes") but it can be useful.

I'm not sure how much starch is removed by soaking spuds, but I do know it's sometimes used to remove some level of starch from potatoes. Anyone have more specific info? Beyond that, I think that most potatoes, as they are, are pretty similar to each other in terms of carbohydrate content.

I too like to combine potato and non-starchy vegetables in mashes- I think my favorite is cauliflower + potato (with a touch of horseradish!) but all cauliflower is pretty nice if you can cook/puree to get the right texture.

Has anyone experimented with mashed soy beans? I imagine it being glutinous and sticky. But soy beans as a protein rich food will curb appetite at the following meal.

Has anyone tried this with roasted cauliflower instead of boiled?  Might be harder to get to as smooth a puree, but I'd bet it would taste better.

I think I may give this a go this weekend...I'll report back!

ETA: There seem to be many versions calling for roasted garlic, as well as versions where you roast the cauliflower first...

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

One of my kids is a meat and potato man all the way. The only other vegetable he will eat is tomato. When we were trying some low carb diets a while back I tried to use cauliflower as a sub for mashed potatoes. It is actually very good. The only problem is the texture is a little thinner than potatoes. You don't get that fluffy texture. I have done a mixture of potatoes and cauliflower that is very close to potatoes only. This will lighten the carb load in the dish and still retain some of the texture for those that miss it. My son could not tell much difference and it was one way to get him to eat another vegetable.

Mashed Cauliflower is good stuff. :)

How about Celeraic? I like to mash up celeraic (celery root) with my mashed potatoes. I never tried mashing just plain celeraic though, so I am not sure what the exact consistency would be like, but I think it would be fine.

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

if the turnips are not strong I dont mind them mashed with cauliflower and carrots all over cooked to oblivion and then lots of salt, pepper and chives ..butter for sure!!

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I am pretty sure jerusalem artichokes do not contain starch, and can be pureed quite well also.

1/2 cup Jerusalem artichoke has about 13 grams of carbohydrate, which is about the same as potato. I'm sure some of that is fiber (indigestible starch)....

ETA: Just looked it up- 1/2 cup sliced raw Jerusalem artichoke has a little over 1 g of fiber.

Edited by Sony (log)

One caveat with mashed cauliflower, make sure you cook the crap out of it. I generally hate mushy vegetables, so I the first time, I made it on the firm side...it didn't whip into a smooth mash, it had a strange granular almost ricey texture, tasty but definitely not what I was hoping for. So, make sure it's on the soft side. Simmering it in chicken broth is excellent too. Adding a clove or two of peeled garlic while you simmer it...fantastic, mashes right in there, and adds a mellow garlic note.

Side note: Later on, I read a low carb rice substitute that did that exact thing. Cook cauliflower till it's tender but not soft, and run it through a ricer, or a mash with a grid potato masher. Very good with something saucy.

It looks like you got the same ricey texture that I was talking about.  It's good, but I like the smoother kind better.

I had to make it again. the first one was done enough but I don't have a potato ricer and I tried pushing through a seive with a meat mallet and the mallet turned it gray. So I had to rush it the second time because the fish was already resting.