• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mashed Potato Substitutes

RAHiggins1

My husband made a wonderful parsley root puree on New Year's Eve.  I'd never tasted the stuff before.  It's a unique but very tasty root that is low in carbs and loaded with minerals.

Recipe, please?

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

^^^

Almost definitely, I would say! I think the OP is looking for foods that are lower in carbs than potatoes, and it also sounds to me like they should be lower in calories. Don't think polenta would be any good here.

Yes and no. I think originally my intent was to find a suitable replacement for high starch foods and mashed spuds in particular, but that has evolved into finding ways to offset said starches.

I am of the mind that we have to balance things better. When we try to eliminate foods from our diet, especially foods that we love, we find ourselves making short term changes that do not stick. I want to eat what I like and alter it to a more nutritionally acceptable level.

I am definitely learning a lot here in the process. Keep up the great posts!

Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

The info I'm looking at has Jerusalem artichokes and potatoes at approximately the same calorie density:

1/2 cup raw potatoes (with skin)

1/2 cup raw Jerusalem artichoke

Just to clarify, "fiber" in general consists of the types of carbohydrate that are indigestible- inulin is a specific type of soluble fiber, but any type of soluble or insoluble fiber is indigestible, unless I'm mistaken......Though it is worth noting that soluble fiber in particular is ideal for maintaining ideal blood sugar levels, while insoluble fiber is more useful as a bulking agent for stools.

Any idea if there is a nutrition database that breaks down the fiber content of foods beyond simply "soluble" and "insoluble"?

Interesting...I have always read that potatoes were around 70-80 calories per 100g, and jerusalem artichokes were 50-60. *shrugs*

Also, I know what fiber is. It's just that jerusalem artichokes are particularly noted for their inulin content.

No offense meant by explaining fiber.... I did it mainly as background for the question of how specific food databases get in breaking down fiber content and why it would matter. Jerusalem artichokes and potatoes are just about equivalent in fiber content, which is why it would be useful to know as much detail as possible about what's in food and the types of fiber that may be particularly beneficial for certain health concerns (and what composes a food's carbohydrate profile in general).

RA, I definitely applaud you for making long-term changes! It can be easy to get caught in a yo-yo of temporary diet "patches" and rebounds. A friend just gave me a tip on mashed cauliflower that made me think of you! She said that steaming the cauliflower until very soft gave her the best mashing texture. Wonder if others find the same?

Hi, I'm looking for a suitable replacement puree for my pommes that does not have starch  in it, yet will at least simulate the same creamy, buttery, goodness that is smashed taters.

So far I have ruled out parsnips (are there any starchless root veggies?) and am considering cauliflower or possibly some types of legumes like favre beans.

Any suggestions or recipes?

Edit* Additionally, is there one potato that has less starch than another? I would rather just cut back than eliminate the food entirely.

Why are you eschewing potatoes? My Irish ancestors lived on them. Don't listen to the food police who tell you to eat fewer natural foods and more "high omega fatty acids" or whatever highly processed foods. Potatoes are a gift from the earth, unmessed up with by value-added food processors. Do your best to find organic.

No offense meant by explaining fiber....  I did it mainly as background for the question of how specific food databases get in breaking down fiber content and why it would matter. Jerusalem artichokes and potatoes are just about equivalent in fiber content, which is why it would be useful to know as much detail as possible about what's in food and the types of fiber that may be particularly beneficial for certain health concerns (and what composes a food's carbohydrate profile in general).

RA, I definitely applaud you for making long-term changes! It can be easy to get caught in a yo-yo of temporary diet "patches" and rebounds. A friend just gave me a tip on mashed cauliflower that made me think of you! She said that steaming the cauliflower until very soft gave her the best mashing texture. Wonder if others find the same?

No offence taken, I understand what you're saying. :cool:

Personally though, I really don't think much of the whole "cutting out carbs" thing. Wholegrains and many veg are full of carbs, and they're really good for you! It's the simple carbs that are stripped of their nutrients that are bad for you, such as white sugar and white flour. I think it's great that you're looking after your health, but don't be fooled into thinking that all carbs and sugars are bad. For instance, apples are full of natural sugars, and they are really healthy! Brown rice is high in carbs, but it's also great for you.

At the end of the day, people lose weight on low carb diets because it restricts what they can eat. If it works for you, that's wonderful, but make sure it doesn't stop you from eating healthy foods. When it comes down to it, it's the energy taken in verses the energy expended that matters. Just remember to eat plenty of fruit, veg, wholegrain, pulses (and lean meat and fish if you're not veggie) and enjoy life! Oh, and don't forget to enjoy cooking too!