• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

40th Birthday - good food & private room?

bp1123

Planning a 40th birthday party for 20-25 people in North Jersey. I'm looking for suggestions in either the Hoboken or Montclair areas for a restaurant with a private room. Want good food & a fun atmosphere if possible. I'm open to any type of cuisine and any price range.

I've also heard of one company that will come to your home and cook for a party of up to 20, this would also be an option if anyone has any information.

Thanks!

Planning a 40th birthday party for 20-25 people in North Jersey.  I'm looking for suggestions in either the Hoboken or Montclair areas for a restaurant with a private room.  Want good food & a fun atmosphere if possible.  I'm open to any type of cuisine and any price range.

I've also heard of one company that will come to your home and cook for a party of up to 20, this would also be an option if anyone has any information. 

Thanks!

Hoboken or Montclair? That's a interesting geographical shift there, LOL. How married to those two areas are you? Unfortunately, I can't be of much help there. I've been to many restaurants in Hoboken, however, I have no idea if they have private room facilities.

Eric

Half of the party is near Montclair & half in Hoboken. We can go either way! So far I'm checking out Lua, 340 Grill, Cucharamama, & Frankie & Johnny's. In Montclair, Table 8, Blu, or Corso 98. Anyone know if they have any private or semi-private areas?

Half of the party is near Montclair & half in Hoboken.  We can go either way!  So far I'm checking out Lua, 340 Grill, Cucharamama, & Frankie & Johnny's.    In Montclair, Table 8, Blu, or Corso 98.  Anyone know if they have any private or semi-private areas?

Got it. Frankie & Johnnie's is "very" good, with "very" being a relative term. I do not know if the Hoboken location has a private room. Many people rave about the place. I am a big-time steak-guy, and personally, I think it's good. Above average, but not rave-worthy IMO. But that's the thing about tastes, LOL. I've also heard good things about Blue from much more than one person, but I haven't personally been there yet.

Why not look at at something that is centrally located, between the two, etc.?

Eric

Try Orbis in Montclair. I think that the restaurant would hold your group and people could walk around and talk to each other. Don't think that would work in some of the restaurants you named.

The chef-owner, Nancy, would work with you on the menu. It's a nice room in Upper Montclair with good parking--better than downtown Montclair and Hoboken.

The New American cuisine could accomodate picky, non-adventurous eaters as well as more adventurous people. It is particularly strong with fresh fish specials.

You could eat there yourself first to see if you like it. It's off the beaten track, but that is one of its charms.

Unfortunately, you'd have to rent out Blu in its entirety for a party that size; the place is small--but SO worth a trip with a smaller group another time! Fascino is a good suggestion, but I'm not sure if they have a private room or not. I haven't been (with the latest new chef--they've had a revolving door over the last 18 months), but Church Street Cafe has a private room upstairs and I've been hearing more better (yes, you read that right) reports about the food. Service still seems to be an issue, though.

What about going to the Ironbound? I can recommend at least one great spot there (with a parking lot) that has private room-Adega Grill. Full bar, terrific food (and sangria), and if you're really in a partying mood, they have a 'club' attached to the restaurant for dancing/more drinking after dinner.

I agree that parking is going to be a challenge in both Hoboken and Montclair, but it's not totally impossible...just encourage some carpooling! Montclair will have a higher number of BYOs, too, if that makes a difference to you.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Church Street Cafe has a private room upstairs and I've been hearing more better (yes, you read that right) reports about the food.  Service still seems to be an issue, though.

I was there Christmas Eve, and they do have an event room upstairs which should do well for you. The food was very good, and would probably have been better if it were not a holiday and they did not have an event upstairs that night. I was told Chef Todd was cooking that night and that he would come out to say 'Hi' to my Mom, but alas I never saw him. Some dishes 'hit' much better than others, so if you go here read the reviews first.

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson