• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How can I eat a lot of canned clams?

Dianabanana

Drink Guinness! Or the stout of your choice.

They used to prescribe it in hospitals you know.

ok I wil try that :smile:

clam fritters and chowder or as we called them in RI clamcakes and chowdah you can make both and have all the clams you want in them!

but no creamy chowder because as mentioned above dairy products inhibit absorbtion...make a tomato based chowder

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I like to make a steaming cauldron of soon doo-boo jji-gae (Korean silken tofu stew), which is often flavored with clams. At Jigae houses they usually just add a few clams, but I like to go way over the top with it and add tons of fresh chopped clams (which is inexpensive at Chinese or Korean markets). It's also pretty easy to make and can become habit-forming, all those clams and silken tofu flowing in that thick red-pepper broth. Yum! I'm sure frozen clams (like Sam's Clams) would also work fine in this dish.

Edited by Batard (log)

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

I like to make a steaming cauldron of soon doo-boo jji-gae (Korean silken tofu stew), which is often flavored with clams. At Jigae houses they usually just add a few clams, but I like to go way over the top with it and add tons of fresh chopped clams (which is inexpensive at Chinese or Korean markets). It's also pretty easy to make and can become habit-forming, all those clams and silken tofu flowing in that thick red-pepper broth. Yum! I'm sure frozen clams (like Sam's Clams) would also work fine in this dish.

YES YES YES!!! I love this dish and if you combine it with kim chee (loaded with Vit C) or a side dish of seaweed ...you have sweet synergy going on ...you can ask here at the Korean restaurants for them to use extra clams I have done that

I love this thread I was just told about my blood count last week and still I am in shock ....am trying hard to do a mix of foods with the supplements ...and diet off the recent fat gain :raz: at the same time so thank you for starting this!

Piglet 

YES YES YES!!! I love this dish and if you combine it with kim chee (loaded with Vit C) or a side dish of seaweed ...you have sweet synergy going on ...you can ask here at the Korean restaurants for them to use extra clams I have done that

I love this thread I was just told about my blood count last week and still I am in shock ....am trying hard to do a mix of foods with the supplements ...and diet off the recent fat gain :raz: at the same time so thank you for starting this!

This sounds good! Can anyone direct me to a recipe?

Hummingbirdkiss, I didn't realize you had the iron deficiency right now--I thought you meant in the past. Well at least we have each other for company! I knew I was anemic for a long time before the test and had been eating a lot of spinach, clams, oysters, etc. I don't normally eat beef but I was also eating a lot of pho. My doctor said I should continue to take iron supplements until I hit menopause (i.e., stop menstruating), so I guess I will also be trying to eat a high-iron diet for the next 10-15 years.

This sounds good! Can anyone direct me to a recipe?

Hummingbirdkiss, I didn't realize you had the iron deficiency right now--I thought you meant in the past. Well at least we have each other for company! I knew I was anemic for a long time before the test and had been eating a lot of spinach, clams, oysters, etc. I don't normally eat beef but I was also eating a lot of pho. My doctor said I should continue to take iron supplements until I hit menopause (i.e., stop menstruating), so I guess I will also be trying to eat a high-iron diet for the next 10-15 years.

Piglet 

I found this recipe hot tofu stew look beef and cannded clams ...tofu...it is all good!!!..we just need a lime in there and we have an iron bomb in a bowl!!!

I think I am going to try this recipe next week

...today I am going to make this I was thinking it through and trying to combine two soups I like ...so this is how it will go!

1/2 oz dried seaweed

1 quart beef stock

simmer them together until the seaweed is cooked

while that is going on I will preheat my crock style soup bowls to sizzling and untouchable state

pull them out of the oven with mits put them on the heat resistant plates (all obvious to some but kitchen safety is not my best skill :raz: )I have

then put a hand full of clams in each bowl ..pour the broth over and serve with a

garnish soft tofu cut up

toasted sesame oil sizzled with some green onions, garlic and toasted sesame seeds!

I will let you know

Piglet 

I just thought of another synergistic vit C infused dish with clams mix not sure if it has been posted yet

make a fresh salsa with lots of diced tomatoes (bad time of year but you can use a good brand of canned if you like it is better than the hot house ones) ..roasted green chiles ..cilantro, plenty of lime juice ...onions ...and clams ...

or you can make a gaspacho the same way just add more tomato juice to it

Chris Schlessinger has a great gazpacho recipe in his "Thrill of the Grill" that uses... Clamato juice. I was skeptical when reading the recipe but I first had this when a friend made it and I didn't know what was in it. So again, as hummingbirdkiss suggested, this mgiht be a good way to combine clams and vitamin C. His recipe doesn't have clams in it (just the Clamato juice) but as the flavors do seem to work well maybe it would be worth trying a gazpacho w/the clams added when summer rolls around.

Here are the ingredients for his soup:

1 grilled red bell pepper

1 grilled green bell pepper

1 small red onion, grilled

1/2 of a small eggplant, grilled

3 garlic cloves

2 slices day old bread

salt and pepper

5 Tbs olive oil

2 Tbs balsamic vinegar

1 quart Clamato juice

2 Tbs chopped fresh basil

4 Tbs lemon juice

Blend olive oil and garlic in processor until finely chopped. Slowly add in 5 Tbs oil and then add in vinegar. Season to taste. Whisk this mix into the Clamato juice, add grilled, chopped vegetables and chill. Before serving, add lemon juice and basil and taste again for seasoning. Try adding clams... :smile:

Here's the nutrition composition of Clamato juice which is bastically a mix of tomato and clam juice: click

There is some iron in the Clamato juice (~ 3% of RDA in a serving).

I like stuffed clams (famous in Rhode Island as "stuffies". It's a mixture of bread crumbs, chopped clams, clam juice, chopped parsley, lemon juice, mustard or hot sauce, etc that are usually placed in an empty large clam shell and then baked. Ohter flavorings could be fennel, or oregano and garilic. One could make up this mixture, heavy on the clams and cook them in bell pepper halves for a meal or appetizer.

I hadn't thought of baking this in bell peppers until hummingbirdkiss got me thinking about the vitamin C synergy wrt to iron absorption and looking back again at the Schlessinger recipe. You could also bake this mixture inside a portabello mushroom for a different flavor combination.

Another idea leveraging from the stuffed clam filling idea above might be to make a casserole dish along the lines of scalloped tomatoes (day old cubed bread, butter and tomatoes, salt, pepper and thyme baked in the oven) with clams added.

Clam fritters were also mentioned earlier. Here's a recipe for Rhode Island clam cakes: click

I might also try adding chopped cooked green beans to the mix as this works well in Thai fish cakes.

Along with the other Asian ides mentioned above, I would look around for a recipe for Clams in Black Bean Sauce. (the small, dried, very flavorful Chinese beans). Here's an example: click

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Clams on toast: boil down the juices from canned clams until only a couple of Tablespoons is left. Add a T. of butter and boil again. Throw in some chopped parsley and serve over toast.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

To atone for my original response, I'd like to add something that offers a bonus since lentils also are rich in iron:

Here's a picture of the soup, unfortunately on an Italian cooking forum, but I think you can get the idea: Lentil soup w fresh clams. And while not exactly what I was looking for--something w clams, sausage and spinach or greens in a broth: Spicy sausage soup w clams; there are also tomatoes as per advice concerning benefits of acidic component.

For a brief moment, fregole were poised on the brink of becoming the new thing here in the States, and I admit, the small Sardinian bread balls that I bought last year are not as versatile as I would like, nonetheless there is a classic brothy dish in which they're prepared with clams. First the picture, then the recipe, also involving tomatoes.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath