• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alton Brown re-signs with Food Network

PDC

initially he had interesting and not commonly known stuff.

this series , at least the first season was very clearly mostly from the re-cycle bin

and yes the histrionics became tedious :  one time for the " CIA" folks w the walkie-talkies was fine

no more

I did think the " Scrap Iron Chef "  was fantastic.

at the time , and several views later.

he was , and possibly still be , very cleaver.

Ill try to ' obtain '  a show or two from S2 and decide from The Facts this Year.

• Like 1

There's a role for "explainers." It's how I make my living, albeit on a much smaller scale than his.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

the Good Eats Crew used to Tour

and do shows outside to a crowd , free

I saw one by chance.    in a high end Maul in the Bay Area

he was the ' star '  and very good at entraining the crowd.  signed books etc

made beef jerky .  used the ' furnace filters ' and a box fan.   very clever .

my sister went to one , in TX  , by chance again.  bought a booki

the first volume , that used to give me Migraines do to the ' off-set ' printo9ng

signed by AB himself to Me  !

still , continues to give me head aches.

I wish him well .  he lost weight .  hope things for him are on the Up and Up.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

Admittedly I'm a Cord Cutter from way back, so I have no Cooking/Food network, but has there been a recent TV Chef show that even acknowledges sous vide devices?   I used Chef Steps and youtube (and egullet) to learn about sous vide, not TV.   So Alton basing a show on it may be relatively ground breaking for non-cooking oriented but cooking-curious viewer.   

I still have to explain is the simplest terms possible to friends and casual acquaintances that sous vide is not "boiling steak" and the laws of thermodynamics.   Maybe he found a way to explain it better.

• Like 3

Some time ago , Simply Ming , a fine show on PBS w chef Ming Tsai 

mentioned it and did salmon etc.  He has 16 seasons under his belt.

even ATK got around to it a season or two ago.

as much as its Sooooo much fun to criticize them

esp for their churn business model

they did a decent job.

and they have a very very wide  show-following.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lemniscate said:

Admittedly I'm a Cord Cutter from way back, so I have no Cooking/Food network, but has there been a recent TV Chef show that even acknowledges sous vide devices?   I used Chef Steps and youtube (and egullet) to learn about sous vide, not TV.   So Alton basing a show on it may be relatively ground breaking for non-cooking oriented but cooking-curious viewer.   

I still have to explain is the simplest terms possible to friends and casual acquaintances that sous vide is not "boiling steak" and the laws of thermodynamics.   Maybe he found a way to explain it better.

Also cableless.    Am somehow also living (well) without Food network.   😛

23 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Some time ago , Simply Ming , a fine show on PBS w chef Ming Tsai 

mentioned it and did salmon etc.  He has 16 seasons under his belt.

even ATK got around to it a season or two ago.

as much as its Sooooo much fun to criticize them

esp for their churn business model

they did a decent job.

and they have a very very wide  show-following.

i love MIng.    i enjoy the show's format of having two chefs with completely different approaches create from the same ingredients, yet in a spirit of cooperation rather than competition.    Also that the recipes are immediately available online if you have interest after a show.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)

eGullet member #80.

Ming Tsai  is a neighbor of  mine.

Ive met him waling his Dog several times

he grew up in the same environment as I did ,

on The Penisula  in a University setting.

he was very friendly , and so was his dog , eventually.

he is very innovative , and esp at The Blue  Ginger , an initial restaurant of his

wining walking distance of sort to where i live.

his appetizer , w two levels  , using an inverted martini glass

I though was brilliant.  I never did go to the BG

the appetizer :   put part B on the plate.   cover that w an inverted standard 

martini glass so that is part is covered , but visible.

add the first part of the appetizer to the bottom of the MG

which when inverted is now the Top !

• Like 3

On 8/20/2019 at 6:24 PM, Vapre said:

TV Guide listings:

8/25 10PM EST : Chicken Parm

10:30: Ancient grains (Amaranth, Chia, Quinoa)

9/1 10 PM EST: Sauces (sequel to 'Hittin' the Sauce')

10:30:  Immersion Circulators

Edit: Food Network

Thanks for those listings. His shows were informative and I learned a lot from them. 

Bhukhhad.

Edited by Bhukhhad (log)
  • Like 1

I found this on YouTube this morning posted by Food Network.

If you look at the "read more" info they mention he will have 2 new episodes every week. The full recipe for his Chicken Parmesan (that this episode is about) is also posted.

• Thanks 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

@Toliver  Thanks for the link!  I quite enjoyed that.  I don't think he's missed a step obtaining the Good Eats-ness from the last episode of the first Good Eats.  The Household watched it with me and asked "Can you make that recipe please?" (chicken parm).   That's a first for any cooking show we've watched together in recent memory.

• Like 3

@Toliver  Thanks for the link, I just finished watching it.  Or rather, I skimmed through it as I will watch it with my husband once we have it taped.  One question that comes to mind - he used potato chips for extra crunch and leaving aside the fact they are salt and vinegar chips, why not use panko instead of the chips and bread crumbs?

On 8/22/2019 at 1:57 PM, Toliver said:

I found this on YouTube this morning posted by Food Network.

Thanks! I love the "chicken à la Magritte."

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

@Toliver  Thanks for the link, I just finished watching it.  Or rather, I skimmed through it as I will watch it with my husband once we have it taped.  One question that comes to mind - he used potato chips for extra crunch and leaving aside the fact they are salt and vinegar chips, why not use panko instead of the chips and bread crumbs?

My thought was easily accessible vinegar powder.