• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alton Brown re-signs with Food Network

PDC

On 8/23/2019 at 6:15 PM, blue_dolphin said:

I had no idea! Add my thanks to ElsieD's!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Wylie was using (and probably making his own) vinegar powder years and years ago. He had a dish on the menu at the late, lamented Alder; fish and chips - beautifully fried (and sustainable) dogfish and chips, with vinegar powder for dipping.  That's it under the entree.

813223831_2013_06_04Alderfish.JPG.9db3d1e84b9b8ce1b243ec832196afaa.JPG

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I was disappointed in the first episode, on chicken parm (I haven't watched the second yet). I have a pretty high tolerance for AB's schtick, but that San Marzano/gangster bit was a waste of time, along with the explanation of DOP certification -- as if the certification alone makes them better. Are they? We don't know, because he didn't spend any time on that. Brown is a clever guy, as @rotuts has observed. Surely he could have come up with an entertaining presentation.

Likewise, the sketch with W begged the question about mortar and pestles -- why use one of those instead of a food processor? Not to mention Mister No-Unitaskers has twelve mortar and pestles?

Given that there were visible fragments in the browning phase, I'm not buying his lower-pH justification for including the salt-and-vinegar chips. Need more crunch? I'm with @ElsieD, panko is the way to go. And if you want a hit of acid, squeeze a little lemon juice at the table, or over the cheese prior to baking (which might have mitigated the stringy cheese issue). He just wanted to include something different -- a seemingly irresistible impulse he's unfortunately brought forward from the earlier version of the show.

I did like the take-down of the chicken breast half (though he was inconsistent with his terminology, sometimes using "half," and other times not). It's nice to see the fridge- and oven-cams still in use, and I still like the informative interstitials, even if the calcium chloride warning was probably confusing to many (if you're buying real San Marzanos, do you need to worry about it?) I also like that he's gone to mostly weight measurements where appropriate (though inconsistently accompanied by volume equivalents). Personally, I can get past most of these nits, but if you're trying to teach people cooking basics, you can't afford to be blasé about small things.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Overall, I enjoyed his first new show.  I found it somewhat less geeky than his older series.

while I like watching him cook I find his recipes much too labor intensive for my use;  

i prefer simpler and easier dishes, but that's just me.  Kind of like watching This Old House; while it’s fun to watch I'm not going to remodel my house.

Edited by lindag (log)

@Dave the Cook

exactly so

but is a business , and , having seen him live so long ago w his crew

at that high end Maul,  he is very very good at it

and not to seem inappropriate 

he has chosen to loose some weight 

I congratulate him , and Jasper White , a local in BOS real deal guy for doing the same.

Im hopeful that many on ATK , girls and boys 

might also figure this out , sooner before later.

TV presentations are not just the Dump and Bake

its a bit more than that 

I do have ep 2 and will study it soon.

AB's audience is not eG , and that's fine

always wish him well.

• Like 3

I have to agree with everything @Dave the Cook said.  Also, I thought that the tomato sauce looked way too thick for my taste and how impossible would it be to serve the one that he made on the sheet pan?  And when will he and Giada get over the inexplicable love of those awful breadcrumbs?

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Food Network's web site has Alton Brown's new shows (click here). 

You have to have a TV cable/dish provider for your home service. It's an odd request. What about cable cutters who no longer have any TV cable/dish service? How else can they stream the show? I just don't get it. :hmmm:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I used to really like his shows but I'm finding the schtick now to be almost unbearable.  I tell my husband that there is way more of it than there was in the original series.  He claims not.  What do you think?  

• Like 4

I don't know if there are more gimmicks, or I just have less tolerance.  I'm finding him a little tiresome these days, no matter the show.

Who was the genius at Food Network that decided to put him on opposite Sunday Night Football?  He has so many male fans, I'd think they would choose some other night.  As for us, we've been choosing football.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I used to really like his shows but I'm finding the schtick now to be almost unbearable.  I tell my husband that there is way more of it than there was in the original series.  He claims not.  What do you think?  

7 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I don't know if there are more gimmicks, or I just have less tolerance.  I'm finding him a little tiresome these days, no matter the show.\

I found his schtick tiresome from the first of his shows I ever saw.

And I keep reading (hoping?) the title of this thread to be Alton Brown resigns.

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?