• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

1 hour ago, lemniscate said:

Admittedly I'm a Cord Cutter from way back, so I have no Cooking/Food network, but has there been a recent TV Chef show that even acknowledges sous vide devices?   I used Chef Steps and youtube (and egullet) to learn about sous vide, not TV.   So Alton basing a show on it may be relatively ground breaking for non-cooking oriented but cooking-curious viewer.   

I still have to explain is the simplest terms possible to friends and casual acquaintances that sous vide is not "boiling steak" and the laws of thermodynamics.   Maybe he found a way to explain it better.

Also cableless.    Am somehow also living (well) without Food network.   😛

23 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Some time ago , Simply Ming , a fine show on PBS w chef Ming Tsai 

mentioned it and did salmon etc.  He has 16 seasons under his belt.

even ATK got around to it a season or two ago.

as much as its Sooooo much fun to criticize them

esp for their churn business model

they did a decent job.

and they have a very very wide  show-following.

i love MIng.    i enjoy the show's format of having two chefs with completely different approaches create from the same ingredients, yet in a spirit of cooperation rather than competition.    Also that the recipes are immediately available online if you have interest after a show.

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

1 hour ago, lemniscate said:

Admittedly I'm a Cord Cutter from way back, so I have no Cooking/Food network, but has there been a recent TV Chef show that even acknowledges sous vide devices?   I used Chef Steps and youtube (and egullet) to learn about sous vide, not TV.   So Alton basing a show on it may be relatively ground breaking for non-cooking oriented but cooking-curious viewer.   

I still have to explain is the simplest terms possible to friends and casual acquaintances that sous vide is not "boiling steak" and the laws of thermodynamics.   Maybe he found a way to explain it better.

Also cableless.    Am somehow also g (well) without Food network.   😛

20 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Some time ago , Simply Ming , a fine show on PBS w chef Ming Tsai 

mentioned it and did salmon etc.  He has 16 seasons under his belt.

even ATK got around to it a season or two ago.

as much as its Sooooo much fun to criticize them

esp for their churn business model

they did a decent job.

and they have a very very wide  show-following.

i love MIng.    i enjoy the show's format of having two chefs with completely different approaches create from the same ingredients, yet in a spirit of cooperation rather than competition.    Also that the recipes are immediately available online if you have interest after a show.