• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Booking ahead?

MJP

We'll be in NOLA this week and we want to hit up a few of the retaurants we've heard very good things about - Commander's Palace, Upperline, Galatoire's, Arnaud's to name a few. Should I have booked a few months ago, or are we safe if we make reservations now? Heck, is it even necessary since we're not exactly here during the height of Mardi Gras?

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

We'll be in NOLA this week and we want to hit up a few of the retaurants we've heard very good things about - Commander's Palace, Upperline, Galatoire's, Arnaud's to name a few.  Should I have booked a few months ago, or are we safe if we make reservations now?  Heck, is it even necessary since we're not exactly here during the height of Mardi Gras?

I would certainly book ahead. The tourist season is low (everyone else in the U.S. is still recovering from Christmas instead of gearing up for Mardi Gras), but you never want to chance the popular places. Anyway, walking in would be more likely to get you the bad table in the house. :cool:

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)