• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Waterloo Brasserie

We went to the Waterloo Brasserie, a newly opened restaurant opposite the Old Vic.

A couple of irritations. First they have some sort of system which means there is a large beep every so often (for service?) that was incredibly irritating. Then there was the side order issue that plagues many restaurants:

Waitress: “would you like a side with your main course?”

Me: “does it need one?”

Waitress: “no”

Me: “I wont then”

The sides were £3.50 each which seems steep but I didn’t get to see the portion size. I would have gone for some green beans and then would have been even more annoyed as the main dish came with some unadvertised green beans anyway. I noticed that the steak had no chips advertised and so I saw one customer who had ordered some chips as a side and then had some unadvertised chips arrive with the steak (or he knew and liked chips!)

The food, though, was generally good. My lamb shank (cooked for 7 hours) was melt in the mouth tender and the confit duck cassoulet was good. The low point was my fish soup that was too watery but the terrine was good. Puddings, a chocolate fondant and an apple and calvados pain perdu were both good. £80 for 2 incl service and a £19 very drinkable rioja seemed good value. Service, other than the sides issue, was good and they seemed to cope with everyone turning up at 8pm when the show at the Old Vic finished.

they seemed to cope with everyone turning up at 8pm when the show at the Old Vic finished.

I assume that they always planned for such traffic when they conceived the place. Part of the demographic they were after.

I'm going there for lunch later this week, the launch party was too crowded to see anything.

S