• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: CaliPoutine, MarketStEl & mizducky - The Shrinking

MarketStEl

I know I've mentioned to some of you at some time in the past that my Sunday bruch routine is a form of channeling my mother, who would fairly often put out a large spread and invite guests.

This is usually the one meal of the week where I toss the rules and discipline out the window, but as you all saw, I already did this Friday night. So I'll just have to be extra good this week.

I begin by thawing a package of bacon and boiling potatoes.

gallery_28660_5521_60229.jpg

gallery_28660_5521_34619.jpg

After the potatoes cool -- usually right around the time Meet The Press airs locally (11:30 am) -- I get to work on everything else: slicing sausage patties, shredding the potatoes, chopping the onions and peppers, and grating some cheese. Today's cheeses are Tillamook Special Reserve Extra Sharp Cheddar and Monterey Jack. I also added mushrooms to the omelet fillings this time around.

gallery_28660_5521_5248.jpg

gallery_28660_5521_90026.jpg

The bacon goes into a 400F oven and the potatoes and sausage into skillets.

racheld, I know you asked for a show of hands. This picture is just for you:

gallery_28660_5521_8248.jpg

Gary likes his eggs sunny side up. (Oops! One of the yolks broke.)

gallery_28660_5521_39041.jpg

Everyone else who eats gets an omelet. So I beat the eggs with a little chipotle sauce:

gallery_28660_5521_2343.jpg

and cook the omelet. I've never managed to master flipping anything by flicking a saute pan, and I'm not about to practice with partially set eggs. Instead, I just turn them with a spatula. Here's the end result:

gallery_28660_5521_21158.jpg

Now there is one compensating factor that offsets this calorific feast: It's such an ample meal that I usually don't eat a regular dinner on Sunday. Today was no different. I snacked on popcorn in the evening.

gallery_28660_5521_89891.jpg

This time, I didn't pour melted butter all over the popcorn, as I usually do. I had bought this buttery-flavor canola oil some months back and decided I'd see if it really does taste buttery all by itself. I use one of those popcorn poppers with the crank that you turn on the lid -- they produce great popcorn, and all the kernels pop. (I'd have gotten a picture of my hands turning the crank if I weren't taking these photos myself.)

gallery_28660_5521_51673.jpg

gallery_28660_5521_49670.jpg

The popcorn in the bowl on the right I sprinkled with popcorn salt. The bowl on the left I didn't, on the off chance that roommate might want to eat some. (He usually fixes microwave popcorn if he's at home by himself and wants to snack on something besides an apple.)

And with this, I am now caught up with my diet, such as it is, for this week. I've actually gotten some good tips from several of you, and I've seen some dishes from both Randi and Ellen that I plan on trying. (Watch your PMs for recipe requests.) I've enjoyed taking you around my life once again, and hope you enjoyed the trip too. Something tells me that this week, I've failed to even return to the Two Hundred Pound Plateau, let alone climb down from it, but I'm not going to lose too much sleep over that. (I'll lose more sleep posting to discussion boards.)

But I will leave as a parting shot a preview of breakfast tomorrow. One idea I got off this blog is that maybe, just maybe, I should consume less juice and more fruit. So instead of buying orange or grapefruit juice at the store on Saturday, I bought grapefruit.

gallery_28660_5521_82708.jpg

I figure this would also add fiber to my diet -- not that I'm seriously lacking in it; one of my favorite breads is the "Flax and Fiber" bread from Arnold that's on my brunch plate above. It would also add variety, however.

Even though I'm hanging up my pen, as it were, with this post, if you have any last-minute comments or questions, please feel free to share them. I will try to answer on this blog if it's open and by PM if it's not.

Cheers, queers! And you all take care too, my straight friends.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

racheld, I know you asked for a show of hands.

Oops! Knew I was forgetting something! Probably because it's darned tricky photographing one's own hands. So I sorta-kinda cheated, by photographing my reflection in a mirror, hands included:

gallery_28660_5521_24637.jpg

Thanks for reading, folks! :wub:

Oh. My. God. I almost forgot about that accident. You guys were on your way to or from school during winter break, right? Geez Louise. And I had my own share of near-misses with my first car, learning how (not) to drive on black ice on winter days, though maybe not quite as death-defying as that one--fortunately, my first heap was a Sherman tank of a car. Man, it's a miracle any of us manages to survive our youth. :wacko:

By the way, Mr. E has tried the Tillamook, and reports that, though it pains his Vermonter pride to admit it, it is in fact a notch above the Cabot in quality. :biggrin:

We were coming back from winter break -- and it was 1977, freshman year, not 1978 as I had posted. I had done a marathon drive out with three drivers (one from St. Louis), but coming back, I had only two (one from St. Louis). The runup to the wreck even involves food:

I had said in response to a question from my co-pilot somewhere east of Dayton, "Yeah, I'm getting hungry too. Keep your eyes peeled for a restaurant."

Then, somewhere around Columbus, "I'm going to sleep. Don't wake me."

I was awakened when the co-pilot drove into a truck stop outside Akron. While the food was forgettable, the tune that was playing on the jukebox -- I think the third person in my car played it for laughs -- sticks with me to this day: "Drop-kick me, Jesus, through the goal post of heaven..."

I found it impossible to get back to sleep as we crossed the rest of Ohio. Then my co-pilot handed me the wheel just past Youngstown.

I remember the first six or so exits off I-80 in Pennsylvania, and even pulling off for coffee at a truck stop at one of them. But the coffee didn't work. The rest of Pennsylvania is a blur, except for the sight of my car headed for the guardrail at about 60 mph as I awoke somewhere around sunrise somewhere near Milton. The car caromed off the guardrail, across both eastbound lanes, and into the median, which was fortunately wide at this point, but rocky. (Many Pennsylvania freeways predate the Interstate era and have no medians to speak of.)

We were all belted, fortunately. The front seat passenger had the worst injury: a broken nose and several lacerations. All of us had fragments of glass from the windshield in our clothes; the co-pilot in the rear had some minor cuts. All of us walked out of the car, I unhurt.

Maybe it was Providence at work.

We ended up flying back to Harvard from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.

FWIW, I neither gained nor lost weight this week. Given what I ate and the relative lack of exercise, I guess you could call this a small victory.

And glad to hear that Mr. E shares my opinion of Tillamook. Cabot is still a damn fine cheese.

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

thanks for a mightily entertaining blog, to say nothing of a totally educational one... im on my new year diet also, and i have more food ideas as a result of this rather than less.. thanks Sandy for sharing the brunch blowout!!!

Another first-cup companion today, a drear outside/bright-prospects inside day, for this winding-down day of your company.

MizD--you couldn't have cooked anything better than the mapo tofu, as your curtain call---it's becoming my favorite breakfast, since Caro comes home and gets into the kitchen at 6 a.m., and to awaken to the aroma of sizzling ginger and garlic---heaven in a moment, starting up the old salivaries before leaving the warm covers.

And Sandy---I'm thankful you were spared to live and prosper and share your story---as a fellow member of the Boomerang Club, may I say you are doing marvels with your bonus years, living them well and fully and with a bright outlook and pleasant demeanor.

Brunch looked scrumptious, and since I'm making plans for Chris' annual BD brunch in two weeks, I'm taking notes.

It's a fun ride, guys, and you're GREAT Tour Guides. We've really seen WHERE YOU LIVE, and not just the locations.

PS I forgot---Black Skillets :wub:

Edited by racheld (log)

Yes, the skillets, Sandy! They are gorgeous and look perfectly seasoned! You cook the 'big breakfast' like I do - all iron skillets, except for the eggs!

Thank you all for a beautiful blog - I always think that no one can possibly be as good as the last one - and every single blog, y'all's definitely included exceeds my expectations! Wonderful, job!

Kim

**** drumroll please******

I lost 4lbs this week, while Robin lost a whopping 7lbs.......

We feel pretty good with that.

Thanks to everyone for your insightful comments and suggestions.

It was much appreciated.

p.s. Those turkey meatballs were HORRIBLE. I just hope the seniors like them. Maybe if I cover them in enough sauce, they won't notice the taste or texture.

p.s. Those turkey meatballs were HORRIBLE.  I just hope the seniors like them.  Maybe if I cover them in enough sauce, they won't notice the taste or texture.

A great barbecue sauce covers a multitude of sins.*

Yes, they will ship to you, Randi. And even though you are a cook-from-scratch gal, this is a bottled sauce worth buying.

However, since you are a cook-from-scratch gal, and since it would probably cost less, you might want to try the home version.

*Edited to add: This page offers yet more evidence of the baleful influence Rich Davis has had on Kansas City sauce. It's gotten to the point where even Kansas City's best barbecue sauce has felt compelled to add a "Sweet & Mild" variety to its lineup.

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

It strikes me that gourmandry and weight management are at heart at odds with each other:  I notice that truly svelte people appear to be absent from the ranks of food lovers.  Yet at the same time, I also note that truly obese people are not overrepresented among them either, though we may have a disporportionate share of overweight people like myself.  Perhaps we will figure out why this is so in the course of this blog; perhaps not.

I think you are right. For some, food is merely a necessary part of sustenance - these people are usually thin and don't read foodblogs. Like most folks I have had ups and downs in the weight department. In 2004 when I was 37 my goal before turning 40 was to run a marathon (and to have a baby - I managed two of each) and when I crossed the finish line after four and a half hours of unremarkable running, my BMI (Body Mass Index) was 31. At 6'-1" and 230 lbs, a BMI of over 30 means obese. I neither looked nor felt obese, I felt fantastic for achieving such a goal. Here I am, and here.

Since this thing is still open, and since I'm in a lull in my workday, I thought I'd comment on your appearance.

Regardless what your BMI says, you don't look obese at all -- or terribly overweight, for that matter. Your weight hangs from your frame well.

Which once again points to the limits of any single measurement: There will always be individuals whose own bodies defy what the statistics say they ought to be -- as with my cholesterol count. I think that a good physician will realize this and not force a patient into a regimen he or she does not need simply because the numbers say so.

WebMD, RealAge, and the various nutrition, fitness and health sites and magazines are all full of good advice, and it's all relevant and sound. But that doesn't mean that it applies in 100% of all cases. Ultimately, the best advice is that which recognizes your own unique characteristics and circumstances. That includes any advice the three of us have offered.

We're home from dinner.  We actually tried to go to Pier 1 afterwards to use a gift card we've had for almost 4 years but they were closet at 7pm.  Huh?  Its a Saturday night.

This is for you Tammy!!

Thanks Randi! Brings back some good memories. And those fries - man, I want some right now. I'm definitely taking a trip to Prince Albert's next time I'm in London visiting my sister...

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

I used canned mushrooms because I actually prefer them to fresh on pizza.  I used some shredded part-skim mozzarella and some light Mexican blend. 

gallery_28660_5521_197768.jpg

I love canned mushrooms on pizza, too. Reminds me of my youth, I think (that's the way they were always served when I was growing up). Your pizza looks great, BTW.

I don't have a peel, so I make my pizzas on parchment paper, which I slide in and out of the oven using a cookie sheet (turned upside down). I let them cook on the paper, and it also keeps the pizza stone clean. I find that there is no difference in the crust cooked on the parchment vs. directly on the stone. FWIW. :wink:

Congratulations! I would like to echo all the positive comments about how great this blog has been, and also to state that it has been a great source of inspiration. Thank you (x 3).

Thank you, thank you, thank you. This has been a most enjoyable week. This has been a most enjoyable week. This has been a most enjoyable week.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Saigon Restaurant on El Cajon Blvd. in City Heights.

Deep-fried boneless duck (oh man, this was so good--and the pickled cabbage on the side was lovely too):

gallery_28660_5521_15192.jpg

I think this one was called "Shrimp tossed in butter" in the English on the menu--garlicy salty shrimp with head and shells intact, fried until head and shells were crispy good. These were yum too. Actually, everything was yum!

gallery_28660_5521_233306.jpg

Righto, that's the menu next time I get to Saigon. Yum. Thank you kindly!

And here's our happy well-fed party leaving the restaurant:

gallery_28660_5521_210606.jpg

From left to right: Candice, me, Dale, Mr. E, David, and Laura. Not pictured because he's wielding my camera is Doug.

RachelD - if you look, you can see Ellen's hand, quite elegant it is.

Stunning Tshirt too.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Saigon Restaurant on El Cajon Blvd. in City Heights.

Deep-fried boneless duck (oh man, this was so good--and the pickled cabbage on the side was lovely too):

gallery_28660_5521_15192.jpg

Righto, that's the menu next time I get to Saigon. Yum. Thank you kindly!

I'd like to order up one o' them deep-fried boneless duck thingies as well....

Thanks to all for a very entertaining week...great job, all!

Morning all,

While I'm waiting my turn for the treadmill( its so easy to exercise now!!), I thought I'd post what Robin picked up for me yesterday. 

gallery_28660_5521_303477.jpg

The canape maker would be a hoot to use for petit fours for valentines day.

Editted because tho I read it thrice, twasnt til after I posted this that I saw "The platter says Wagner on the back."

Edited by Kouign Aman (log)

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Loose end, not directly food-related, I forgot to tie up:

If all Zooks are Zepps and all Zepps are Zwicks, then I'm Queen Beatrix.  True or false?

I love logic games but don't know this one. Point me in the right direction?

If you've taken one of those online IQ tests, or remember the exquisite ordeal that is the SAT, you've seen logical problems of this type.

The actual question relies on your knowledge of set theory and is a simple logical true-false statement. My parody version illustrates the logical concept known as the non sequitur.

Thanks to everyone for your insightful comments and suggestions.

It was much appreciated.

Yay! That's terrific!

I think I may have squeezed off an additional pound this past week, but I'll know better later on this week when I do my official weigh-in for my personal blog.

I haven't gotten around yet to addressing the subject of alcohol and weight management, as I said I would.  Here goes:

You've probably seen that Far Side cartoon with the caption "Impolite though they were, the other bears couldn't help staring at Larry's enormous deer gut."

Well, it may be venison for bears, but for people, nothing gives you a paunch quite like beer.

But why is this?

A therapist I was seeing once explained to me that the body processes alcohol as though it were fat rather than carbohydrate.  If this is so, then that might explain why heavy drinkers get those big bellies.

OTOH, it may be the alcohol itself, which is a sugar, and thus full of carbohydrates.  But if it were just that, people who down lots of mixed drinks should have them too, and I can't say I've noticed any big bellies among the hard-drinking regulars at Pure.

This leads me to conclude that it must be the fermentation process in beer that contributes to the phenomena.  Perhaps we could use carbonated soft drinks as a test case?

Beer has about 50% more calories than spirits. A can of beer is about 150 calories, while the equivelant shot of vodka (1.5 oz) is about 100 calories. The calories in mixers can push the mixed drink beyond the beer though.