• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYC Extern

AnxiousCowboy

I'm currently going to CIA and am on my externship at Hotel DuPont. I am finishing up my externship here and want to do a double extern in a restaurant. I'm thinking I would like to go to NYC... These are the places where I'm thinking of inquiring for an externship position. I am looking for mostly contemporary italian type places, but I am up for any place that will be a good experience.

This is my list to inquire so far:

Del Posto

Cru

Babbo

Esca

Felidias

Po

Alto

Borgo Antico

Fiamma

Are there any anyone recommends I add/subtract from the list? I formulated the list from some researching and a couple places I've eaten.

but dont expect to be paid much if anything at all, not cheap to do a internship in nyc, but it really pays off in the long run, just loose the cia mentality, look and listen,,, move quickly and be veeery clean

So what is the pay like? I'm making 10.50 here... I would have imagined NYC would pay more than a  shithole like Wilmington, DE. Even some of my extern friends in philly are making around 9-10.00

take borgo antico off your list....it's nowhere near the quality of the other places. Take cru off too if you're looking for contemporary italian. Add Insieme (or Hearth)...!!!!

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

some places will pay nothing,, others more but i wouldnt expect more than 9 a hour but alot of places will not pay hourly you will get shift pay 100 a day or so, w no overtime pay, welcome to the nyc market, hotels and union houses will pay more but,,,,,,,,, union

You should keep in mind that your just starting out and show that your eager for knowledge instead of worrying what you will be paid. Get used to working (staging) for free. If you want to get ahead in this business it's important to stage here in the states at high rated places. Always start at the top restaurants and work your way down until you get accepted. Also look to go overseas at big name michelin restaurants. I've staged at some of the best out their (EL Bulli, Fat Duck, and as of tomorrow Ryugin in Japan) and always work for free because it will bring you further in your career in the long run. You will make money in time but for now you should be focusing on paying your dues and gaining experience!

Good Luck

You should keep in mind that your just starting out and show that your eager for knowledge instead of worrying what you will be paid....Also look to go overseas at big name michelin restaurants. I've staged at some of the best out their (EL Bulli, Fat Duck, and as of tomorrow Ryugin in Japan)...

Thanks for the advice. I know ask about pay here so I know what to expect--It's not my only concern, but either way I don't have mom and dad paying for a place to live. I'm working on developing a savings so I can go to far out places and stage. When you have gone overseas to places like fat duck and el bulli, how did you land stages like that, how did you afford to live (did you establish a savings like I am trying to?) and how long did you end up working there? Overseas is definately in my course of action although not until I get that diploma... but finding out how to do it now can only help, right? Thanks for any info you can give me!

others more but i wouldnt expect more than 9 a hour but alot of places will not pay hourly you will get shift pay 100 a day or so

It would be a dream to work $100 a day 7 days a week for me.. I have off today and I can't stand it.. I'm bored without work. I would have no problem living on a $100 a day or $9/hr budget I would imagine since I am fairly good with my budget.

hey man -

cia grad here myself. definitely recommend felidia as i am a sommelier here. :)

fortunato is a brilliant chef and his food is out of this world - he ran a 2 michelin starred restaurant in piedmont years ago and has been at the helm of felidia for 9 years. you would learn a lot.

i have never heard of a double extern? does cia even allow that? and also, don't you want to go back to be with your original group?

also - the quicker you graduate, the quicker you get to be a line cook with a regular line cook pay.

there is no other city or restaurant in this country that will teach you as much as a 3 star restaurant in new york (maybe san fran). all your pics are great except po (a little rustic and really small), and borgo antico.

message me if you have any other questions.

good luck

Bottom line: If you want to extern in a quality house you get paid the going rate.............. $00/hr.

If you can do it....do it. No questions asked. One of my past externs is doing a "second" externship at Chez Panisse for $00/hr.

One of my past employees externed at Jean George for $00/hr......he is now Chef de Cuisine at one of JG's restaurants.

So there you go do it right and it comes back to you ten fold!!!!

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??

uhh no.

bottom line? If they don't pay you, they can fuck off.

Extern somewhere you get paid (Hell at least $8/hr, preferably with overtime). Graduate quickly and then get a 4 star restaurant job, if you really think it fits your style, with pay (and not good pay).

Or of course you could switch to the front of house where you will get paid double.

anxious cowboy, I wouldn't be so quick to use chefboy24 advise. It will be more difficult getting into 4 star restaurants without having staged/intern at one prior. Also if it's about "MONEY" and not the love of food and knowledge you seek than maybe you can look to go into the front of the house like chefboy24. Alot of people take that route that can't either hack it in the kitchen or are looking for a bigger payday. I know some friends who payed to work for free in france at 3 star michelin places. Bottom LIne: you get out of your carreer what you put into it. If I were a betting man I bet chefboy didn't invest much.

i just know what i'm worth, thats the difference little man.

and i know SEVERAL line cooks currently cooking at jean georges AND per se who absolutely externed in bumblefuck, ohio. they are good cooks, thats why they can hack it at jg and per se, now.

the only kids who stage for free at 3 star michelin restaurants are kids with rich mommy and daddy's who can pay for them to live.

Edited by chefboy24 (log)

he couldn't be further from the truth if it hit him in the face. Not only did i pay for school I also paid to live and work for free in england and france. It's an investment on your part. you save your money so you can go and do the stage and it will pay off big time. My friends are the chefs of those restaurants you mention plus others and the difference is between them doing stages and working for free and the line cook who doesnt. You obviously can't support your theory as you never staged abroad or at any michelin restaurant before and know the working and living conditions! El bulli we were shacked up 4-5 per apt. we wish we had "Rich" parents". IT'S CALLED PAYING YOUR DUES! you must of skipped that part and decided to go right to the "Front" of the class!

hey man -

cia grad here myself.  definitely recommend felidia as i am a sommelier here. :)

fortunato is a brilliant chef and his food is out of this world - he ran a 2 michelin starred restaurant in piedmont years ago and has been at the helm of felidia for 9 years.  you would learn a lot.

i have never heard of a double extern?  does cia even allow that?  and also, don't you want to go back to be with your original group?

also - the quicker you graduate, the quicker you get to be a line cook with a regular line cook pay.

there is no other city or restaurant in this country that will teach you as much as a 3 star restaurant in new york (maybe san fran).  all your pics are great except po (a little rustic and really small), and borgo antico.

message me if you have any other questions.

good luck

he couldn't be further from the truth if it hit him in the face. Not only did i pay for school I also paid to live and work for free in england and france.  It's an investment on your part. you save your money so you can go and do the stage and it will pay off big time. My friends are the chefs of those restaurants you mention plus others and the difference is between them doing stages and working for free and the line cook who doesnt. You obviously can't support your theory as you never staged abroad or at any michelin restaurant before and know the working and living conditions! El bulli we  were shacked up 4-5 per apt. we wish we had "Rich" parents". IT'S CALLED PAYING YOUR DUES! you must of skipped that part and decided to go right to the "Front" of the class!

i have externed and worked in several michelin star restaurants. i paid my dues. i am still paying my dues. and i am doing just fine now.

Edited by chefboy24 (log)

:blink:

well boys, why don't you serve this topic well and insted of having a pissing contest, try to help this kid (adult, whatever)

where did you stage?...names please...when? is your information current? where did you two pay all of these dues??

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Every chef has there story about paying there dues. You just have to trust yourself and your choices In the end of the day its not about money or where you worked, what your philosophy is or if you come from money or a trailer park. If you are good you will move forward if not you will fail.

the only kids who stage for free at 3 star michelin restaurants are kids with rich mommy and daddy's who can pay for them to live.

Needless to say this is a ridiculous assertion.

I've worked with cooks that came from well of families and others that were from modest backgrounds. Both have externed in Europe (usuallybut not alwaysfor free) and at been the better for it.

Like with any profession it what the individual puts into the opportunity that makes it what it is.

Blanket statements like the above don't help at all.

Have you decided what course of action to take yet anxious cowboy?

I had great experiences staging at Daniel and working at Le Bernardin. While not Italian I can provide additional details if you're interested.

Edited by flinflon28 (log)

If you are good you will move forward if not you will fail.

So the question is how does one get good? Work in the best place that will have you (that suits your culinary desires). If they pay you or not, will you get closer to your goal? Yes. If you insist on being Worth It, you have to prove it. If you can prove it, you shouldn't be seeking an intern/extern/stage, but should throw down with the big boys. Will you work more or less hard based on your pay? You better not, because in the end, you work only for yourself. If you invest poorly in yourself, you are the one who will suffer. Be careful where you intern/extern, make sure you will be able to move and see. This is more abt to happen in a privately owned kitchen. Union shops are tough if you want to spend extra time learning outside of your normal job reqs. Peeling carrots at "Haute Five Star Shop" for $1X.XX hr. won't help, especially after day one at your next job and your new employer wants to see what you can do. If you are pompous, sloppy, arrogant, less than helpful, or not interested in being the best, why would anyone who is busy making their bones on the line try to help you? Good luck with your search and only work with good people!