• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need help finding a traditional butcher

I'm in need of some help.

Back before I started the Nose To Tail At Home website, I was wrestling with the logistics of finding all of the necessary ingredients to complete the book. Wandered through the Austin Farmer's Market one Saturday, I came across a grass fed lamb vendor. "Okay, if he can get me lamb brains, I'll start the website." I thought to myself. Upon inquiry, the merchant told me that I could in fact purchase lamb brains but I would need to contact his boss. He handed me a card with the necessary information and off I went, web page design ideas bouncing around in my head.

Fast forward a few months.

After talking with Kent a few times about having people over to my house for a dinner comprised of dishes made solely from the St. John's cookbook we set on Robby Burns Night, January 25th. For those unfamiliar with the holiday, it's where all of Scotland honors the aforementioned poet with lots of whisky drinking and haggis. I just needed to check on the availability of sheep pluck from my "vendor". I shot off an e-mail explaining what I needed and where I could meet with someone to pick up the items. A few days later, I got the response that they were unable to sell me anything at all because they "didn't have the labels". I'm still not sure what that means and come tomorrow I intend on calling for clarification. Regardless, I'm now in a bit of a pickle. If anyone knows of lamb vendor that can sell me lamb offal, please, please, please post their information here.

Does Austin have halal markets or middle eastern grocers?  They often sell all kinds and parts of the lamb.  Failing that, maybe an Asian market . . . ?

I'll do a check on the middle eastern markets, thanks for the suggestion. I've been using MT Supermarket for most of my offal needs with great success. They just don't have lamb. :(

After talking with Kent a few times about having people over to my house for a dinner comprised of dishes made solely from the St. John's cookbook we set on Robby Burns Night, January 25th.  For those unfamiliar with the holiday, it's where all of Scotland honors the aforementioned poet with lots of whisky drinking and haggis.  I just needed to check on the availability of sheep pluck from my "vendor".  I shot off an e-mail explaining what I needed and where I could meet with someone to pick up the items.  A few days later, I got the response that they were unable to sell me anything at all because they "didn't have the labels".  I'm still not sure what that means and come tomorrow I intend on calling for clarification.  Regardless, I'm now in a bit of a pickle.  If anyone knows of lamb vendor that can sell me lamb offal, please, please, please post their information here.

As a last resort you can buy haggis in the US (e.g. www.british-emporium.com)

Also: Have you used the web to search for mail order offal?

Happy neeps and tatties.

There used to be (frightening words, those) sources of lamb up around Georgetown and also around Waco. My suggestion, absent a purveyor of halal meats in Austin, would be to place a call or a visit to a local serious middle eastern grocery store, or the area mosque and ask if someone there would assist you in locating a source.

Or, http://www.mashallaamarket.com/1709923.html, or Halal Meat Market, 5001 Airport Blvd, or Hamilton's Meat Market in Weatherford, Tx. NPR featured them in a piece on Eid al-Adha celebrations - they supply halal meat to the better part of the North Texas market.

I believe that Winn Meats in Dallas can obtain them ... but they would be frozen, or you could go through D'Artagnan in NYC.

Regards,

Theabroma

Edited by theabroma (log)

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

Believe it or not, Readfield meats in Bryan has even dry aged and cut whole rib-eyes for me and they are wonderful. Call them and see if they can cut to your satisfaction. I think they will be truthfull.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

SUCCESS! theabroma, I could kiss you!

I just got off the phone with one Bill Hamilton of Hamilton's Meat Market. He said he could get me whatever I need. HOORAY! I've already taken the 24th off so I can drive out to Weatherford and right back. I forgot to bring the Nose to Tail cookbook with me today, so I'm calling back tomorrow with the ingredient list.

HOORAY!

Mr. Miller, I've found their information and I will tuck it away for later, thank you.

Worzel Gummidge, happy neeps and tatties to you as well!

I love the Czech Stop!  Want to come along for the trip Kent?

You know, while I'm here, does anyone know where I can buy a Woodcock? :)

Driving out to Weatherford? Now that's dedication.

Maybe you can make the Czech Stop on the way.

Woodcock kolatcky? Who'da thunk it? Irongate in New York, Winn Meats in Dallas, or check with, ah!, Hudson's on the Bend ... known for game ... they could likely put you on to the appropriate purveyors for becasse. You ARE serving it split stem to stern, head on, brains intact?

Theabroma

Uh oh.

I just got off the phone with another gentleman at Hamilton's Meat Market, and they won't have sheep's stomach available until the 30th. And he won't be able to sell me the lungs at all.

Seems like Bill, the owner, is semi-retired and his promises might have been a bit empty. I'm going to try and call early tomorrow to talk to him about the real availibility.

I also tried Winn Meats and they said they couldn't help me either. They said to give Central Market a shot for a special order, but that too was shot down.

It looks like I might have to push Robby Burns night back a week... :sad:

Should have read this first. I am so sorry. One thing does come to mind, however. There are a couple of very, very large Middle Eastern/pan-Islamic markets just north of Dallas (in Richardson). I usually go there to shop on the weekends .... And they have a very large butcher department with 5 or so guys hauling around sides and primes, cutting them down, apparently to order. There is also a British store, stocked with Barley water, frozen bangers, Rowan Atkinson DVD's, tea, jam, and Branson's pickle.

If you would like, I would be happy to inquire in each place about sheep's paunch. I think I have seen lung in the Mexican markets here, but would not mind in the least doing a little research and sourcing.

Just say the word.

Theabroma

Should have read this first.  I am so sorry.  One thing does come to mind, however.  There are a couple of very, very large Middle Eastern/pan-Islamic markets just north of Dallas (in Richardson).  I usually go there to shop on the weekends .... And they have a very large butcher department with 5 or so guys hauling around sides and primes, cutting them down, apparently to order.  There is also a British store, stocked with Barley water, frozen bangers, Rowan Atkinson DVD's, tea, jam, and Branson's pickle. 

If you would like, I would be happy to inquire in each place about sheep's paunch.  I think I have seen lung in the Mexican markets here, but would not mind in the least doing a little research and sourcing.

Just say the word.

Theabroma

WORD!

I'm also trying this place http://www.goodearthorganicfarm.com/ but it seems like their phone is off the hook. :(

Update: Good Earth got back to me: No stomach. :(

It's starting to look like I should push this out for a week.

Edited by Misplaced_Texan (log)

It's starting to look like I should push this out for a week.

Well, it's official: The supplier that can get me sheep stomach won't have them until the first week of February. :sad:

I'll contact all of the people that have already rsvp'd for the event and will set up a new date when I manage to secure what I need.

Funnily enough, if you Google "sheep stomach dallas" this thread is the fifth hit.

EDIT: Now it's the fourth. :)

Edited by Misplaced_Texan (log)