• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carne en su Jugo

VPF

I had this soup for the first time the other day. Delicious! Beef, broth, avocado, radishes, and bacon- what a great combo. The Mexican version of "Jewish Penicillin" maybe??

Does anyone have a recipe? I'd love to make this stuff at home.

I had this soup for the first time the other day. Delicious! Beef, broth, avocado, radishes, and bacon- what a great combo. The Mexican version of "Jewish Penicillin" maybe??

Does anyone have a recipe? I'd love to make this stuff at home.

More than twenty years ago when I operated a high-end restaurant in Mexico we would occasionally get an order for a “jugo de carne.” My chef would poach a perfectly good filet of beef in a little broth and then squeeze it out in cheese broth and serve it in a glass. We charged for a filet and I thought it was a terrible waste. We never had a complaint about the “jugo de carne.” (Juice of meat).

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Here's a recipe for carne in su jugo right off of Rancho Gordo's website. (Scroll down for the recipe.) This looks to be at least in the same family as what you're describing, VPF--not to mention a lot more interesting than just simmering, wringing out, and discarding (YIKES!) a nice piece of beef. :biggrin:

More than twenty years ago when I operated a high-end restaurant in Mexico we would occasionally get an order for a “jugo de carne.” My chef would poach a perfectly good filet of beef in a little broth and then squeeze it out in cheese broth and serve it in a glass.  We charged for a filet and I thought it was a terrible waste.  We never had a complaint about the “jugo de carne.” (Juice of meat).

This sounds a lot like the beef tea that was given to invalids in the early days. Lean beef is put into a jar with water and the whole thing is simmered for several hours until the nourishment is in the water.

I once had a recipe that called for scraping the beef but don't remember the details.