• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Chocolate Decorations", by Jean-Pierre Wybauw

John DePaula

Don't see a dedicated thread to this book.

Does anyone have Jean-Pierre Wybauw's book on the art of making chocolate decorations?

If so, how do you like it and how does it compare to similar texts on the subject?

TIA

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I have this book, but can't compare it to other chocolate decoration books. It is a different subject matter than the chocolate candy books (such Wybauw's other book, Schotts's book, and Grewling's book) or pastry books (like Bau's or Herme's).

I can at least tell you the contents

1. Frozen materials (meaning freeze a marble slab, pour chocolate, make design)

straws, lattice, horns, nest, knots, curls (these look like 'courdoroy'), fans, designs on rods, designs on spheres, spirals

2. piping decorations

lattices, piping in sugar, palm trees, piping in cocoa, 2d trees,

3. molds

This one you know already if you do chocolate candies, but he shows some nice designs on eggs

4. flowers

some simple some complicated

5. showpieces

(nothing too spectacular here)

6. various techniques, some of which you know already from chocolate

curls, and so on.

I like this book but my chocolate decoration technique is next to zero so I am not qualified to judge the quality of the technique or decorations.

I have to admit that I don't really use this book. The pictures are nice, showing the techniques pretty well.

Somebody else is probably more qualified to give a real review. I think David also has this book.

Edited by ejw50 (log)

I have it. Bought it just after I first saw Wybauw in Toronto.

I'm just having a look through it again now. I see a lot of really neat ideas that I'll probably use to decorate easter eggs and I realize that I better have a good look through it before I head off to Belgium for the chocolate showpiece course. Actually I think I'll stick it in my luggage for my trip to Silver City.

The only other book I have that has some of the same information is 'Chocolat - l'envers du decor' by Philippe Bertrand and Philippe Marand. It is far more restricted in it's information that Wybauws book.

I would recommend the book if you find that you want some clear information on getting special effects with chocolate.

Thanks for the info, folks. I'll try to pickup a copy somewhere. There's quite a range on the prices that I've found.

Kerry, seems like I looked through L'envers du decor back in 2004 and made a note to get it at some point down the line. As I recall, it seemed pretty good.

Thanks again.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I have it.  Bought it just after I first saw Wybauw in Toronto. 

I'm just having a look through it again now.  I see a lot of really neat ideas that I'll probably use to decorate easter eggs and I realize that I better have a good look through it before I head off to Belgium for the chocolate showpiece course.  Actually I think I'll stick it in my luggage for my trip to Silver City.

The only other book I have that has some of the same information is 'Chocolat - l'envers du decor' by Philippe Bertrand and Philippe Marand.  It is far more restricted in it's information that Wybauws book.

I would recommend the book if you find that you want some clear information on getting special effects with chocolate.

Is 'Chocolat - l'envers du decor offered in English?

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

I have it.  Bought it just after I first saw Wybauw in Toronto. 

I'm just having a look through it again now.  I see a lot of really neat ideas that I'll probably use to decorate easter eggs and I realize that I better have a good look through it before I head off to Belgium for the chocolate showpiece course.  Actually I think I'll stick it in my luggage for my trip to Silver City.

The only other book I have that has some of the same information is 'Chocolat - l'envers du decor' by Philippe Bertrand and Philippe Marand.  It is far more restricted in it's information that Wybauws book.

Is 'Chocolat - l'envers du decor offered in English?

Half english/ half french. I know my local Qzina has a bunch of copies - I wonder if they are ready to let them go cheap.

• 3 years later...

Okay, I've always thought Canada is a pretty rad place, and continue to feel so...just found "Chocolate Decorations" here for around $86 US. Not sure how much would be to ship to the US or London for punk patissie but at least it is out there for a reasonable price.

I've always thought I should move to Canada, and it seems like there are a lot more chocolate resources up north than here in the states...tempting :raz:

Okay, I've always thought Canada is a pretty rad place, and continue to feel so...just found "Chocolate Decorations" here for around $86 US. Not sure how much would be to ship to the US or London for punk patissie but at least it is out there for a reasonable price.

I've always thought I should move to Canada, and it seems like there are a lot more chocolate resources up north than here in the states...tempting :raz:

Was just about to add the same link! They would ship to the UK without any problem I expect - they are very accommodating folks.

Well when you find that book, let me know, because to my knowledge, the only one that might be close is "Chocolate Decorations" by JP Wybauw and it's $850+ (in the states at least) if you want it translated into English.

$850? :blink: Are you sure about that? I'll have to check my books... I'm almost positive I have the English version in mint condition and, if I do, the first $100 can have it shipped to their door within Canada/U.S. :biggrin: I think I flipped through it once when I got it and haven't touched it since.

That is ridiculous! I bought the English version of the book from Amazon March 2010 for $60. If there is enough demand that people are will to pay $850 for it, then they should do a second printing.

The $850 listing is not Amazons price, thats an independent seller. Thats very common to see a book sold for a totally outrageous price, you can basically see that with every book. Such as on this page: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0764588443/ref=olp_page_2?ie=UTF8&shipPromoFilter=0&startIndex=15&sort=sip&me=&condition=used

If I wanted to, I could buy Chocolates and Confections for $999.00 + 3.99 shipping. Thats just the crazy way people list something I suppose, makes no sense to me, I always wondered if the seller is just hoping a poor individual clicks the 'buy with 1 click' button on accident.

I was thinking that sounded high. I didn't check for prices when I made my somewhat facetious offer but I thought I remembered paying somewhere around $100 all-in. So, since I threw an offer out there, I'll make good on it with a more reasonable offer if anybody wants it... $50 flat within Canada/+ actual shipping elsewhere. Not trying to push it out the door, I just don't use it and haven't used it. It's in sitting-on-the-shelf-in-the-store-new condition.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

In the UK you can get 'Decorations' from HBingredients.co.uk, about £40 plus postage. They list all of the Wybauw books at the moment. Postage can be quite high as they charge a flat fee. They ship by next day mind so you get a good service.

The Cocoa Barry website has quite a few techniques video clips, worth a look.

@ Lior

Thats because Amazon isnt the seller, they dont have stockpiles of these books in a warehouse, the price is from in independent seller, and they basically can ask whatever price they want, just like any store, doesn't mean anyone will buy it.

Edited by minas6907 (log)

The $850 listing is not Amazons price, thats an independent seller. Thats very common to see a book sold for a totally outrageous price, you can basically see that with every book. Such as on this page: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0764588443/ref=olp_page_2?ie=UTF8&shipPromoFilter=0&startIndex=15&sort=sip&me=&condition=used

If I wanted to, I could buy Chocolates and Confections for $999.00 + 3.99 shipping. Thats just the crazy way people list something I suppose, makes no sense to me, I always wondered if the seller is just hoping a poor individual clicks the 'buy with 1 click' button on accident.

If you feel really flush the UK Amazon site has a copy for £1,965.00 plus shipping...

Sian

"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy chocolate, and that's kinda the same thing really."