• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yucatan Food in New Jersey

BeerGut

My wife and I are taking a cruise around the Yucatan next winter. This will be my first experience in Central America.

We would like to have some experience with the food of the area before we go, and we really can't wait to start the experience! Can anyone recommend Yucatan cuisine - restaurants aroound here (Northern NJ and NYC) to try before we go?

Thanks very much in advance!

Yucatan is a state in Mexico, not Central America. I expect you will dock in cancun or Cozumel. Expect Mexican food with an emphasis on seafood. If you will be visiting Guatemala or other C. American countries, I only know of restaurants in Queens. The closest to those I know in NJ would probably be Colombian. There are 2 in Hackensack, 1 on Mercer st. and Pollos Mario on Main st.

Yucatan is a state in Mexico, not Central America.

Depends on which definition of "Central America" one goes by. The United Nations for example, includes Mexico in Central America and, seeing as Mexico pays dues and doesn't object, I guess it's OK usage.

Down in "Central Jersey" (another region with varying definitions- sometimes it seems to be anything between Englewood and Atlantic City :cool: ) there's a interesting little place right off Exit 8 of the Turnpike which features "Latin Cuisine" called Holy Cow Grill tho', their inspiration takes in all of "Latin America", rather than just "Central America".

Edited by jesskidden (log)

Honestly I don't think there is anything that will resemble yucatecan cuisine anywhere in this area.

I can't speak for other areas in the Yucatan outside of Cozumel but even there you are going to seek it out way beyond the typical tourist zone.

OP: Where exactly are you docking?

Keba

• 2 weeks later...

Although the menu isn't 100% Yucatecan, Mi Cocina in Manhattan at the corner of Hudson and Jane Street has been owned and run by Chef Jose Prud'homme, who is a native of the Yucatan, and he always has a good number of specialty dishes from the region. Ate there the other night and had a delicious camarones al ha-sikil-pak which is a great spicy shrimp dish!

SaltShaker - Casting a little flavor (and a few aspersions) on the world of food, drink, and life

Casa SaltShaker - Restaurant de Puertas Cerradas

Spanish-English-Spanish Food & Wine Dictionary - a must for any traveler!

• 4 weeks later...

YOU COULD CONSIDER JOSE'S MEXICAN CANTINA IN NEW PROVIDENCE

WHICH CONSIDERS ITSELF A YUCATAN RESTAURANT. THE ADDRESS IS

124 SOUTH STREET. THE PLACE HAS AN EXTENSIVE MEXICAN DECOR AND

SERVES AMONG OTHER DISHES CACTUS ENCHALADAS. IT HAS BEEN THERE

FOR MANY YEARS. WE THINK THEIR SALSA AND BLACK BEEN SOUP ESPECIALLY

GOOD. THEY HAVE ANOTHER OUTPOST IN WARREN AT 125 WASHINGTON

VALLEY ROAD IN THE QUAIL RUN CENTER. WE HAVE NEVER BEEN HERE.