• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gelatin plus cheesecake question

K8memphis

First off I am not a gelatin guru.

Some background:

I need one more pound of cream cheese to make this German type cheesecake. It's got apples on top and it's not real thick like New York cheesecake. It's also not real fussy. You fire it up in a 450 degree oven for a few then lower the temp to 400 and all is well. No water bath no fussy fussy.

Yeah, I'll get to the question in a mintue, one more particle of information.

So I have this brand new filling I just made last night. It's a pound of cream cheese 10-ish ounces of sour cream and about a pound of 10x sugar (powdered sugar) and some flavorings that will match fine. And I hope I stabilized it with a little packet of bloomed gelatin. It was a real nice consistency for my filling but I have a bunch leftover.

Question time--thought we'd never get here.

I'm gonna use some of the filling as my one pound of cream cheese I'm short. I mean I think I am. (I could get another pound of course bu-ut.) But will the gelatin do anything weird? How about I add an extra egg or something? How about an extra egg and some cornstarch too? Just cornstarch?

Here's the cheese formula but I'm tripling it:

2 8 oz cream cheese, softened........cream well until smooth

2/3 cup sugar..........................add & mix

3 eggs beaten.........................add

1/2 teaspoon vanilla...............add & mix well & pour over crust

What do you think?

Eegad - the only option I don't like is the cornstarch. I find cheesecakes so forgiving and flexible that (unless you're feeding eGulleters or the founder of Cheesecake Factory) you could pull off the substitution of the filling and a yolk. I think the gelatin will be forgotten about without any effect.

Hmm. What about the water I dissolved the gelatin in. Like about a third a cup-ish. There's already a little bit of cornstarch in the powdered sugar. Think the extra yolk would suck that (the water) up?

Edited by K8memphis (log)

I think of cheesecakes like the best friend that you abused all the way through high school, but they still hung out with you, gave you gifts and were there at your wedding. Your cheesecake is just sitting there saying, "Doesn't she know me better than that. I'll still love her even if she does give me too much water. I'll be okay. I'm a big boy and I'll take care of myself." In other words - I think you may see a slightly longer baking time and maybe some goofy coloration issues (although I doubt it), but its going to be just fine. Of course if I'm wrong - I'm telling your cheesecake its all your fault!

Oh my gosh that's funny.

Umm, I mean I have a friend who has to put a bit of flour in her raspberry swirl cheesecake so it does not weep. Of course cornstarch is not flour.

Well it's almost in the oven...it doesn't seem firm enough to hold up the apples so maybe I'll just fry 'em and slap 'em on afterwards.

Hmm, maybe I should make some muffins. :laugh:

How did you know I abused my best friend in high school?? :laugh::raz:

It came out great. I did use the cornstarch. If I didn't use it and I baked it and I needed it, it woulda been too late. :biggrin:

But I forgot how creamy and light cheesecake is with the sourcream. I'm gonna make it this way from now on. It was easy to cut and serve to. Cut real pretty without freezing. I mean it was even a tad warm come to think of it. What I should do is cut down the filling recipe duh Kate.

How did you know I abused my best friend in high school??  :laugh:  :raz:

Yeah, she always called to be sure I was leaving my house to meet her halfway. And I always said I was and I never did. No matter how mad she got. Well a couple times I did but mostly not. Then we had a huge colossal snow storm and we were supposed to go to a movie (and eat candy >> there that's about food) and she was fuming mad tromping all the way over in all that snow and mess. She of course lived closer to town. Well she slipped on the ice like three times in a row right in front of my house. I was cool the first time because she was so majorly po'd at me. The second time I laughed silently as she stomped off in the lead. The third time we both lost it uncontrollably. :laugh: