• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

R.I.P., Brick's Pizza, Wyckoff

zhelder

What a year this has been for me and my favorite casual places to eat. PuPu Inn in Elmwood Park closed earlier in the year, and now, my favorite pizza place ever, Brick's in Wyckoff, is gone. Adding insult to injury is the fact that another pizza place in Franklin Lakes took their phone number, so when I called and someone answered, I assumed it was Brick's. I drove up there on New Year's Day, wanting to get some pizza, but after I called, the place was closed. I figured they went home early. Then tonight, I drove by at around 5:00 p.m., and the place was dark. When I called the number in the window, the other pizza place responded. And sadly, this other place does not do brick oven pizza, so I drove to Aldo's in Glen Rock.

OK, we still have Aldo's in Glen Rock. Aldo's used to be a Brick's, and Aldo's pizza used to be almost as good as the Brick's in Wyckoff. But lately, Aldo has been slipping. The pizza is still well above average, but it's not that delicious brick oven masterpiece that it used to be, with the thin crust, the delicious tomato sauce and cheese, and just the right amount of oil. It's been kind of ordinary lately. The las time I got a pizza from them, it was just like a typical average pizza. Tonight, it was better, but still far from their peak.

There are still good pizza places here. Nellie's and Kinchley's are great, and as of right now, probably the closest I'm going to get to a Brick's pie from now on. But the pies are small, as delicious as they are. Brooklyn Pizza in Hackensack and Ridgewood is also very good, but I refuse to deal with the parking and traffic nightmares required to get a pizza from either one of those locations.

Are there any other decent brick oven places around? Places that are reasonably priced, where I don't have to drive around for 45 minutes to get a parking spot? (This leaves the places in Ridgewood and Montclair out!)

Please mourn with me. This was the best pizza place in Bergen County, and maybe the state. I will miss them dearly. It was a decade of great pizza.

Are there any other decent brick oven places around? Places that are reasonably priced, where I don't have to drive around for 45 minutes to get a parking spot? (This leaves the places in Ridgewood and Montclair out!)

I've never had parking issues in Ridgewood or Montclair. We do tend to dine late though. Plenty of parking for A Mano in Ridgewood up at the train station, it's just a short walk down from there. Very good pizza; just don't expect onions or garlic.

I don't know of any pizza in Montclair that's comparable to A Mano. Would be glad to hear of some.

There's Foschini's Brick Oven pizza, 298 Ridge Rd, in Lyndhurst. It's been discussed elsewhere on eG. Some locals like it; I haven't yet tried it.

Edited by ghostrider (log)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

I've never had parking issues in Ridgewood or Montclair. We do tend to dine late though. Plenty of parking for A Mano in Ridgewood up at the train station, it's just a short walk down from there. Very good pizza; just don't expect onions or garlic.

I don't know of any pizza in Montclair that's comparable to A Mano. Would be glad to hear of some.

Have to agree with ghostrider...unless you're arriving in prime time (6-7ish), I rarely have problems finding spots in either of those towns. Unless you insist on parking right in front of a restaurant, there are plenty of places to park on the street within a couple of blocks. I was at A Mano last night, in fact--and parked right around the corner! And ghost is also right about their pizza...SO worth the ride to Ridgewood.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."