• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mardi Gras Canadian Style

One of my most favorite cuisines is Cajun and adding to it is the culture from the deep south that simply adds to the phrase hmm, hmm hmm.

I've searched high and low but have found little evidence that Cajun cuisine nor Mardi Gras is something that interests Western Canadians...

Now I know there are foodies that are salivating right now thinking of the last beignet you had with chicory coffee, or the exuisite etoufee that warmed your heart or the crawfish po'boy that you had that you thought would be a light meal.

But back in the kitchen, what Cajun dishes have you made? Or where do you go to get your gumbo fix? And as a stretch, what are you doing for Mardi Gras?

Laissez Les Bon Temp Rouler! (a common cajun phrase interpreted as "let the good times roll")

Brian

Brian Misko

House of Q - Competition BBQ

www.houseofq.com

I was at a house party on Saturday and brought up this topic... the conversation turned into a debate on blonde versus brown roux. I'm a brown fan, as taught in NOLA however a blonde roux certainly comes in handy for mac n cheese (brown mac n cheese? ew).

You?

Brian

Brian Misko

House of Q - Competition BBQ

www.houseofq.com

Well, Brian, you're not alone. I live in southern central Kansas and most people don't give Mardi Gras a second thought.

I do because my step father is from Louisiana and is VERY Cajun.

He makes a lot of gumbo--and always uses a dark roux.

And, by the way, GO LSU tonight in the game of all games against OSU!

I'm interested in cooking some southern dishes but haven't done any yet. Don't know of any places to get creole food in the Vanc. area..are there any? I've never been down to New Orleans and friends that have weren't interested in the food..just the party! I wonder if Oyama sells andouille sausage..hmm

I'm interested in cooking some southern dishes but haven't done any yet. Don't know of any places to get creole food in the Vanc. area..are there any? I've never been down to New Orleans and friends that have weren't interested in the food..just the party! I wonder if Oyama sells andouille sausage..hmm

http://www.dadeo.ca/index.html

Never been personally...but they have andouille sausage on their menu.

Yes they do. I've bought andouille at Oyama. Can't say if it has an authentic flavour or not, but it's pretty darn tasty in my Jambalaya :-)

Yes they do. I've bought andouille at Oyama. Can't say if it has an authentic flavour or not, but it's pretty darn tasty in my Jambalaya :-)

Thanks I'll get some next time I'm on GI. :smile: