• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurants in Salem, Oregon

I'll be in Salem, Oregon on business next Friday and am in need of dinner recommendations for next Thursday evening. I'll be staying at the Phoenix Grand Hotel downtown and will have a vehicle. I have no restrictions, just looking for good food. Thanks in advance.

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

To put it generously, choices are slim in Salem. I rarely have dinner here (I work in Salem and live in Eugene), but my favorite place for lunch is Thai Beer, found in a shopping mall just off I-5 and Hwy. 22. I'm told that it's just as good at dinner.

If you're not interested in Thai food, your best bet for dinner might be Bentley's, a standard American hotel restaurant, at the Grand Phoenix, 291 Liberty Street SE, where you'll be staying.

Good luck!

Carolyn

Edited by onehsancare (log)

Life is short. Eat the roasted cauliflower first.

To put it generously, choices are slim in Salem.  I rarely have dinner here (I work in Salem and live in Eugene), but my favorite place for lunch is Thai Beer, found in a shopping mall just off I-5 and Hwy. 22.  I'm told that it's just as good at dinner.

If you're not interested in Thai food, your best bet for dinner might be Bentley's, a standard American hotel restaurant, at the Grand Phoenix, 291 Liberty Street SE, where you'll be staying.

Good luck!

Carolyn

Thanks for the advice.

Portland is such a wonderful food city. I'm planning on going back to Clyde Common on Friday evening. In Salem, Bentley's will probably do for our purposes and we'll be doing some work in preparation for a meeting on Friday anyway.

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

You might want to try Morton's Bistro in West Salem-I think it is on Front Drive. It's only about a 10 minute drive from downtown. It's in a little old house and is very quaint. The menu is in the vein of New American and the chef makes everything himself in-house. Good food and reasonable prices.