• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using up the Christmas Turkey

Andrew Chalk

So you've had cooked turkey, warmed-up turkey, cold turkey, turkey ice cream, etc. and 70% of the bird is still there. Make a cock-a-leekie soup from pre-existing chicken or turkey stock, omit the cream if your recipe calls for it (some do) and add strips of the cooked Turkey at the end just to warm. Either eat it immediately or it will store indefinately if frozen.

I call this variation Leaky Cock soup.

Turkey pot pies!

Turkey tetrazzini: funny that so many of these recipes for leftovers s-t-r-e-t-c-h the meat, when you're just trying to use it up. I mean, so you make tetrazzini and now you have a whole casserole to work your way through.

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=110138

And, never add meat to a compost pile. :biggrin:

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=110138

And, never add meat to a compost pile.  :biggrin:

Sorry -- you can tell I don't have one...

Around here, if you add meat to a compost pile . . . you get rats and raccoons.

I like turkey leftovers in burrito form.

I shoved a few pounds of cooked turkey through the meat grinder just to see what happens. It looked OK but was very dry and granular.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Brunswick stew. Cover turkey carcass and bones with salt and pepper and roast in 375 oven until browned and sizzling. Put in soup pot with chopped onion and celery, bay leaf.

Cover with chicken or turkey stock and bring to boil. Add a small can of chopped tomatoes, adjust salt and pepper, cover and simmer for an hour. Add a can of corn, some frozen lima beans, and chopped lefover turkey meat. Cover and simmer another 20 minutes to an hour. Let sit for a while or overnight and reheat to serve.

Serve with ham biscuits to use up that ham.

Edited by DTBarton (log)