• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Advice for DC Trip

Kim Shook

We have a hodge-podge of a trip to DC coming up the weekend of February 9th. Friday night we are hoping to meet up with friends from the area (I am a native, living in Richmond now). These friends are very food friendly and will most likely be working that day. These are old high school friends that we haven't seen in awhile, so talk (and consequently hearing one another) is important. I'd love your opinions. My ideas (after scouring the boards) are:

Zaytinya (leaning towards this)

Jaleo

Zola

Cashions Eat Place

Montsouris

Lunch on Saturday is going to be at Mario's in Arlington - no decisions there :laugh: !

We are going to a concert (Manilow - Mr. Kim's choice :wink: ) at the Verizon center at 8pm Saturday night with friends who are driving up that day to meet us. They are different from the other friends. She eats lots of things, he only eats very plain food, but is happy if there is a plain steak on the menu. They don't like to pay a lot, but as long as mains aren't in the $30 range, we should be ok. The only place nearby that seemed good was Matchbox - other ideas are welcome! AND - if the concert is at 8, what time should I make dinner reservations for? I'd also like to find a place nearby - or on the way back to Crystal City via Metro for fun after concert drinks/snacks.

I was thinking of Trio's for breakfast Sunday if they are open and then a wander around the Dupont Circle Farmer's market (or maybe Eastern Market) before we have to head back to Richmond. Lunch may be in Old Town - is there a good fish and chips place anymore (that also serves other stuff - unfishy stuff :hmmm: )? Or maybe Southside 815 - we liked that pretty well and our friends would like it a lot.

I know this is a mishmash, but having the second set of friends to consider is putting a monkey wrench in the works. This is also a sort of anniversary celebration for Mr. Kim & me (Manilow is for him and the food is for me :laugh: ) so I don't want to just do the chains that the second set of friends would be satisfied with.

Enough of my novel...thanks, y'all!

Kim

I assume you've checked out this topic already.

Keeping mind that I'm opinionated, but not necessarily right, here are some thoughts.

I've never been as impressed with Zatinya as everyone else -- a solid but not an exceptional performer. Drinking place with good food. In that neighborhood, I'd veer between Cafe Atlantico (a gamble, but when it's on, it's on) and Rasika for Indian food amongst beautiful people. Heck, all those places in Penn Quarter are filled with beautiful people, so it's a good chance to wear your cool-wear. Jaleo is good but not great, but might be the perfect "catching up" spot. On a little grander scale, in another neighborhood, you might try Marcel's and, if you like fish and want a small place with a very comfortable Euro-vibe (cafe-style, not hipster style), Pesce over near Dupont Circle. Of my last two visits to Cashion's, one was brilliant and one was OK, but it's probably worth a gamble. If you are taking a car, don't. Or plan to arrive right at 6:30, when the spots closed for rush hour open up. If you're on Metro, take the red line to Dupont (north exit), walk up to Florida Avenue, refresh yourself with a glass or two at Veritas and then continue on up to Columbia road and Cashion's (or just take the 42 bus).

Saturday night, you might consider avoiding the whole Verizon Center area altogether -- all the obvious spots fill up really quick and service can be frazzled. If you're in the mood for burgers and pizza Matchbox is fine, but they don't take rezzies and the lines can get long; get there early.

(One of my favorite VC-area event night memories was showing up at the now-defunct steakhouse, Nick and Steph's, before a Dead show: 10 flannel-clad tables in the main dining room and a 100 tie-died deadheads in the formerly elegant bar).

But why not hit the much-beloved cafe at Palena about 6, when it opens (check)? The unadventurous can get what many consider The Greatest Burger on Earth, or The Greatest Roast Chicken on Earth, (well below $30, more like $10) while the adventurous can order off the main menu for one of the four or five best restaurants in town. The Red Line is less than 200 feet from their front door and drops right at the Verizon Center. If you have a car, park it downtown at 3, catch the newly-renovated Museum of American Art and take the metro both to the restaurant and back. Yeah...that's the ticket.

Or maybe Brasserie Beck, about a 7-block walk from the place? It can get rowdy (but no rowdier than Matchbox, and it's cooler room with better food), but you'll be there early for a Saturday -- think 6:30 reservation. There's a steak frites that can be ordered without the sauce (my daughter's done it) and the rest of the menu is good, hearty stuff for a chill winter night. And, if there are any shellfish or Belgian beer afficianados in the group, it's a no-brainer.

There are about a billion bars within walking distance of the VC, from faux-Irish to preppie sports bars to uber-sophisto, all jammed on a Saturday night. Maybe you can do some reconnaissance beforehand. In Crystal City, all I know is the Crystal City Jaleo, which runs until about midnight.

You're in luck for fish and chips, Eamonn's is run by a guy who is both an Irishman and one of the area's best chefs.

And for breakfast, I hit Trio's regularly, I also go to the loved and hated Bistro du Coin, which is only marginally better but much more French. Both are inexpensive and offer great people-watching -- if you see a tall guy who looks vaguely like Clark Kent sneaking a glass of breakfast wine at either spot, it's me. You might bring a cooler to the market and see if Eco-Friendly has their famous pork chops. Damned expensive, but worth a try. Buy me a drink and I'll tell you how we cook 'em. :laugh:

Have fun! Report back.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

If you want to stick to the Penn Quarter area, I'd hit Zaytinya with the foodies (on the early side) and District Chophouse with the non-foodies. Chophouse isn't gourmet, but I've found it to be nicely reliable for basic steak and pork and fish, and they brew their own beer.

Palena Cafe at 5:30 or 6 or whenever it opens, followed by a Red Line run to the Verizon Center, would definitely be a good bet. Just be aware the chicken takes 45 minutes. They'll tell you, but if you're under a time constraint, it's good to know before you get your heart set on it.

Drinks at Central are fun, but I'm not sure how crowded it's going to be on a Saturday night. Walkable from the Verizon Center but not as close as Jaleo or Oyamel; 11th and Penn.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media