• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Precision plating tongs

opcioneschef

I have been looking all over for a pair of tongs used for veg and plating. I ordered a set from JB Prince, but they are the same width from top to bottom. The ones I am looking for are very thin (1/8 inch) the last two inches. They look like a set of large precision tweezers, but are about 6 inches long. Does anyone know what I am talking about and where to find them? I have looked up global precision tongs and surgical tongs/tweezers. Pleaaaasse help?

ChefT

These?

Feeding tongs

They're my new favorite tool: not just for plating but plucking a single vegetable or strand of pasta out of the pot to check doneness; for flipping small items like shrimp or scallops in a saute pan; for removing things like bay leaves from bechamel.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

opcioneschef,

You don't say where you're located, but if you're near a Marukai 98 Cent store you'll find stainless steel tempura tongs that look just like Dave's feeding tongs. They cost, um, 98 cents!

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

opcioneschef,

You don't say where you're located, but if you're near a Marukai 98 Cent store you'll find stainless steel tempura tongs that look just like Dave's feeding tongs.  They cost, um, 98 cents!

Joe, I am in Phoenix, but will be visiting CA (Anaheim) in February. Perhaps I can find a store there.

Dave, thanks for the idea on the feeding tongs. I am going to check out some pet stores around here to see if they carry them.

I have found many, many uses for these..

I have many types of surgical instruments, none as long as these 12-inch beauties.

I had gone into an acquarium store to buy some "marbles" to use as weights in my kitchen utensil holders and saw one of the employees using a pair of these to place water plants in the sand and gravel at the bottom of an acquarium that was 3/4 full of water.

I thought "How Brilliant!" and immediately bought them - for 10.95.

When I searched for them online, I found this vendor and bought several, some I kept, others have been gifts to friends, not necessarily for the kitchen. I have a lot of geeky friends who do all kids of hobby stuff and these are great for retrieving tiny bits and pieces from the innards of various machines, appliances and etc.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 1 month later...

I'm also looking for something like this. Rosle offers a pair of fine tongs but I've never used them. I actaully keep a pair of cooking chopsticks around and they come in handy quite a bit.

I thoroughly disapprove of duels...If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot...and kill him. ~Mark Twain