• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

UK Michelin Ratings for 2008

Dont understand how danesfield didnt get one,after havin one at ynyshir,Agree with trouble house loosing it,don't understand how outlaw can be tipped so early.Surely he won't scoop 2 in 2009??? Good decision on hibiscus think it was the right one.And good luck to Robert thomson ,i think he's probley glad in away now he can prove himself and have no comments about being in schwabs shadow

Never trust a skinny Chef

May I be the first to say hurrah that Ducasse did not get any stars! Lets hope the restaurant goes tits up by 2009 so that he can waddle back to France with his tail between his legs!

It is sad though to see Racine lose it's Gourmand (even though it has lost HH). It is still solid and one of the few genuine upmarket French bistro experiences to be had in London.

For us in the provinces it's great to see Auberge du lac popping its head up again in a rising star and also Combe House in Devon. If none have you have ever been to Combe I implore you all to go there whenever you are next down in the west country. It is the best country house hotel I've ever been to and the food is well deserving of at least one star.

Bit of a surprise not to see Texture on the list given it's obvious ambition and efforts to get a star. But I am also very glad that Skylon failed to hit its target as it is far, far over rated. Tips for 2009 anyone?

May I be the first to say hurrah that Ducasse did not get any stars! Lets hope the restaurant goes tits up by 2009 so that he can waddle back to France with his tail between his legs!

What a vilely xenophobic and thoroughly unpleasant thing to say.

Wish I'd thought of it first :laugh:

Tim Hayward

"Anyone who wants to write about food would do well to stay away from

similes and metaphors, because if you're not careful, expressions like

'light as a feather' make their way into your sentences and then where are you?"

Nora Ephron

this rising star business is a load of bollocks, that's my mature contribution to the debate. it's nice for nathan and all but it's not so nice for marc at fraiche who's had this carrot dangled in his direction for a couple of years only to be told 'nah'.

Quilon?

That's leftfield. I'd give an opinion on whether a star is merited if I'd ever eaten there, or knew anyone who'd eaten there, or had even heard of it.

I agree. I went there two or three years ago, a couple of months after it first opened, and was really disappointed so never went back. Certainly it was nowhere near M* then, and I certainly didn't rate it as good as the Bombay Brasserie (ISTR it's Quilon's sister restaurant??) and BB certainly doesn't warrant a *.

Still things change.

Howard

It is sad though to see Racine lose it's Gourmand (even though it has lost HH). It is still solid and one of the few genuine upmarket French bistro experiences to be had in London.

Agreed. Consistently great food and service at Racine, been twice already this year.

Howard

For us in the provinces it's great to see Auberge du lac popping its head up again in a rising star and also Combe House in Devon. If none have you have ever been to Combe I implore you all to go there whenever you are next down in the west country. It is the best country house hotel I've ever been to and the food is well deserving of at least one star.

Bit of a surprise not to see Texture on the list given it's obvious ambition and efforts to get a star. But I am also very glad that Skylon failed to hit its target as it is far, far over rated. Tips for 2009 anyone?

I had a very good meal at Auberge du lac last year, front of house all seemed a bit naive and unpolished (it was almost as if they had walked through the streets recruiting any ferench people they saw regardless of ability) but my meal was delicious and very capably prepared. Fantastic news for La trompette - well deserved and about blooming time too, had a wonderful meal there back in october which was perfect in pretty much everyway bar the district line but that can't be helped!

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

Decanter reckons "The awards leave London lagging behind New York, Paris and Tokyo in the gastronomic hierarchy with only one three-starred restaurant ..."

Are we concerned? Personally I think the rise of the one star eatery is all to the good. More excellent food, well sourced, at reasonable prices, and less foam, I say.

Sarah

Quilon?

That's leftfield. I'd give an opinion on whether a star is merited if I'd ever eaten there, or knew anyone who'd eaten there, or had even heard of it.

Eaten there a few times it being (a) close to work; and (b) vastly cheaper than the Cinnamon Club. I like it. It has a sense of authenticity, flavour and skill without getting too frou frou. However, now the Cinnamon Club has introduced a new ‘early bird’ £20 menu ? Hmmm. Quilon risks finding itself stranded in no-mans land between the between the ‘decent curry at everyday price’ (e.g. Meela) and the ‘special treat'; (e.g. Rasoi).

I’d give it a Bib not a star.

BTW although I’ve only managed one visit I was really pleased to see Apicius get a well-deserved star. Next stop The Sportsman. Live in South East London, call yourself a foodie and you haven’t visited the Sportsman yet ?! (Hangs head in shame…)

Gareth

Decanter reckons "The awards leave London lagging behind New York, Paris and Tokyo in the gastronomic hierarchy with only one three-starred restaurant ..."

Are we concerned? Personally I think the rise of the one star eatery is all to the good. More excellent food, well sourced, at reasonable prices, and less foam, I say.

Indeed, how many people eat at a 3* restaurant more than a couple of times a year? If at all? I can't believe many people in Paris go through all of the 3 *'s in their life time let alone in the space of a year or two!

Reasonably priced, high quality food like that served at places like Arbutus, the olive branch and many other such places now springing up is, in my opinion what this country needs. I'm planning on a lot more trips to such places this year because theres so many out there to try!

But weren't we the gastronomic capital of the world last year? Seriously who cares? I think its great to see the rise of 1 stars too, far more "inclusive" and sums up the ways us Brits are really as opposed to the "Velvet rope" menatlity in NYC and Paris, Tokyo i'm afraid i couldn't comment on as i am yet to make it out there.

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

anybody find out about ireland?

New Stars

Mint One

Bon Appetit One

Yes indeed. You know, I really wasn't expecting *both* to get a star, but it seems that Corinna called it earlier in the thread:

Loads of talk about Oliver Dunne in Bon Appetit. Bulmer has been in here too (v Michelin room, plenty of textbook stuff, much safer than Dylan McGrath and he’s very accomplished and accessible). He’s playing it cool saying he’s not thinking about stars, which is highly unlikely since he used to refer to his upstairs restaurant as ‘the Michelin contender’ until the media set about pitching him against McGrath, as if there’s only one star to be had and it’s an either or situation. No reason to assume this...

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I have to say, I’m impressed with the job Michelin did in Ireland this year (Ramsay not a shoo-in), and great to see that The Winding Stair got a much deserved Bib.

Wonderful news for Dylan McGrath of Mint and Oliver Dunne of Bon Appetit.

Quilon?

Don't they do a ready-made meal selection at Waitrose? That might be an economic way of checking them out. :wink:

Is 'rising star' like they might award one some time but don't feel like it right now?

It's a stupid idea that makes no sense on heaven or earth, and just causes confusion, resentment and disappointment.

Just my opinion of course, but I mean, where will it stop? Rising rising stars which are awarded to restaurants likely to be good enough next year to win one the year after??

Edited by chrisp (log)

I am completely gutted that Fraiche in Wirral did not get a star. He works incredibly hard and produces fantastic food and is a real asset to our region.

I would rather eat there then certain other restaurants that do have a star!

Do i detect a southern bias yet again?

Congratulations to The Sportsman, but surely its strange that The Granville just stays on a bib?

Next year!

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

There have been no real surprises with this year's Michelin list. Very safe; not brave enough to demote any high-ranked places and nothing new that interests. The lack of recognition of Anthony's continues to grate with the majority of those who have eaten there. Genuine congratulations go to Nathan Outlaw, who I would go to tomorrow if it wasn't so bloody far away from Manchester!

I do appreciate the importance of Michelin, but as the years I've spent reading this forum, I find the reccomendations from people here far more important than stars. Which means I'm off to Fraiche at the first possible opportunity.

Adam