• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

UK Michelin Ratings for 2008

anybody find out about ireland?

In case you're struggling Mint and Bon Appetit (both in Dublin) have bagged a star each.

I thought La Trompette had one before but lost it a year or two ago. I never did figure out what they did to lose it. It's been a favourite of mine for a number of years with or without a star. The wine list in particular is one of its outstanding attributes.

H

I'm gutted for Marc on this score.

Don't forget though ChrisP, (Greater) Manchester already has a star at Juniper in Altrincham, which is as Mancunian as Oxton is Liverpudlian!

Kind of stunned that Winteringham Fields lost their star. I had heard very good things about it recently and I know Ryan Simpson will bet really disappointed.

Is there a list of lost stars up yet?

Cheers

Thom

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

anybody find out about ireland?

New Stars

Mint One

Bon Appetit One

Yes indeed. You know, I really wasn't expecting *both* to get a star, but it seems that Corinna called it earlier in the thread:

Loads of talk about Oliver Dunne in Bon Appetit. Bulmer has been in here too (v Michelin room, plenty of textbook stuff, much safer than Dylan McGrath and he’s very accomplished and accessible). He’s playing it cool saying he’s not thinking about stars, which is highly unlikely since he used to refer to his upstairs restaurant as ‘the Michelin contender’ until the media set about pitching him against McGrath, as if there’s only one star to be had and it’s an either or situation. No reason to assume this...

Deletions - sorry the formatting is lousy.

Birmingham

West Midlands

Jessica’s

Bolton Abbey

North Yorkshire

The Devonshire Arms Country House

Hungerford

Berkshire

The Hare

Padstow

Cornwall

Ripley’s

Stockbridge

Hampshire

The Greyhound

Taplow

Berkshire

Waldo’s (at Cliveden)

Taunton

Somerset

The Castle

Tetbury

Gloucestershire

The Trouble House

Wight (Isle of)

Yarmouth

The George

Windermere

Cumbria

Gilpin Lodge

Winteringham

Humberside

Winteringham Fields

LONDON

City of Westminster

Mayfair

Angela Hartnett at Connaught

Regent’s Park & Marylebone

Orrery

Strand & Covent Garden

The Savoy Grill

ENGLAND

Ludlow

Shropshire

Hibiscus

Sarah

Well done to all. Especially Matt at The Goose, Britwell Salome and Stephen at The Sportsman. Fantastic news. Delighted that Hibiscus got a star back- and quite a feat bearing in mind they opened so late last year, in a new location and with new staff etc.

Deeply, deeply disappointed for Anthony's though.

For some reason my original post didn't come up. So, La Trompette finally got its star - I'm sure Nigel will be pleased! Surprised that certaint restaurants such as the glasshouse in Kew didn't loose their stars. Pity that Foliage and LCS did not make it to the next level.

Whislt it was expected and I like it as a restaurant, it still vexes me that Wild Honey got a star - it just does not feel like a michelin starred place on any level - it is a very pleasant restaurant, but really...still, since it is so similar to Arbutus, not to have given them one would have looked very odd!

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

For some reason my original post didn't come up.  So, La Trompette finally got its star - I'm sure Nigel will be pleased!  Surprised that certaint restaurants such as the glasshouse in Kew didn't loose their stars.  Pity that Foliage and LCS did not make it to the next level.

Whislt it was expected and I like it as a restaurant, it still vexes me that Wild Honey got a star - it just does not feel like a michelin starred place on any level - it is a very pleasant restaurant, but really...still, since it is so similar to Arbutus, not to have given them one would have looked very odd!

Agreed, and then some. There's no way on earth a nice little bistro like Wild Honey can be rated the same level as Foliage.

A new "Rising star" status for Aikens rescues the list from complete absurdity*. That'll certainly encourage the promising newcomer to raise his game this year. ( :rolleyes: )

Excellent to see Galvin and Great Queen Street get bib gourmands. Not sure what Benja (haphazard Thai in Soho) and Trenta (unremarkable trat Italian in Marble Arch) did to merit bibs, however.

* That is of course from an insular, blinkered, central London perspective. Congratulations and commiserations where appropriate to everyone in the provinces.

Edited by naebody (log)