• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Xalapa Punch

David Santucci

I made Xalapa Punch, from The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks, for New Year's Eve, and it was excellent. So I am wondering if any of you cocktail historians know how it came by its name. Xalapa is the capital of Mexico's Veracruz state, and, as far as I know, has no particular association with tea, wine, rum or applejack.

Here is the recipe. I do recommend it highly. The flavors blend nicely, and the tea and wine bring out the caramel and spice of the rum. It's a crowd-pleaser, to boot.

2½ quarts hot, strong tea

zest of two medium lemons

1 pint simple syrup

1 bottle claret

1 bottle aged rum

1 bottle applejack

1 large lemon, sliced very thin

Pour tea over lemon zest and leave 10-15 minutes. Allow to cool, then add sugar, wine and liquors. Let rest 1 hour or more for the flavors to mingle. Add lemon slices and serve with ice.

I made Xalapa Punch, from The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks, for New Year's Eve, and it was excellent. So I am wondering if any of you cocktail historians know how it came by its name. Xalapa is the capital of Mexico's Veracruz state, and, as far as I know, has no particular association with tea, wine, rum or applejack.

Here is the recipe. I do recommend it highly. The flavors blend nicely, and the tea and wine bring out the caramel and spice of the rum. It's a crowd-pleaser, to boot.

2½ quarts hot, strong tea

zest of two medium lemons

1 pint simple syrup

1 bottle claret

1 bottle aged rum

1 bottle applejack

1 large lemon, sliced very thin

Pour tea over lemon zest and leave 10-15 minutes. Allow to cool, then add sugar, wine and liquors. Let rest 1 hour or more for the flavors to mingle. Add lemon slices and serve with ice.

i'm think i'm gonna make some of that.... do you recommend all 750's of the booze?

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

I think you could go either way. I cut back a little. Used a little bit from a bunch of different bottles without really measuring, so its hard to say exactly, but I would say I used about 20 ounces of each. I started with less and tasted as I went. The final product was significantly mellower, of course. I think if I went the full 750 it wouldn't have been too strong, but it was plenty potent with the 600 or so I used.