• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

John Sconzo (docsconz) Retires as Host

Chris Amirault

After four years of devoted behind-the-scenes service, life has forced John Sconzo (docsconz) to step down as a host in NY and Restaurant Life. All Society volunteers know how personable, dedicated, and thoughtful John has been as a host. Of course, we all can look forward to many more insightful posts from him in the years ahead.

Please share your thanks for John's work here. I'll start.

I'll confess to envying John's remarkable culinary travels right off the bat! Of course, I wouldn't know about any of them save for his consistent documentation in a wide array of topics that took many of us with him. His eye for the smallest details coupled with his willingness to engage every member with questions about those details make his travelogues, and all of his contributions, the cream of eG Forums.

He also worked tirelessly on a number of projects and as a moderator, always seeking the best of what the Society could be for volunteers, members, and the public. We'll all look forward to seeing him around the forums as an emeritus staff member.

Thanks, John!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

John-

You have been the epitome of what an eGulleteer is all about. Your comments and writing (and photography) about traditions, restaurants, seminars, food events, travels, etc. have been exemplary. Never fail to wonder at the scope of your knowledge and sense of good taste.

Thanks for all the good work on behalf of eGullet (you're the one who got me-and who knows whomever else-to upgrade membership and contribute!).

Will still look forward to your postings.

In my next life, I'd like to come back as a Docsconz clone!

Mark

Mark A. Bauman

One of the biggest and best contributors eGullet has seen. Thank you for all your hard work and tireless commitment to quality, John. Your spot at the dinner table will be impossible to fill.

John, all your hard work as a host is greatly appreciated. We've enjoyed your contributions - don't stop!

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Like snowflakes, so many of us are unique, but easily replaced.

You, Sir Sconzo, are one of the rare ones.

Not a flake, I mean, but unique and I can't imagine anyone who could replace you.

Thank you for being such a kind, generous host. I've enjoyed reports of your travels and learned a great deal from the thorough accounts of conferences. I still don't know how you managed to take so many pictures, yet somehow attend to the presentations of chefs you so clearly admired!

It's been fun interacting with you. I appreciate your positive spirit and enthusiasm, especially.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Doctor Sconzo's contributions here are beyond measure. He's had a finger in virtually every pie on every thread I can think of. And that's because of his dedication to all things relating to eating and drinking well.

I had the rare pleasure of sharing a table and breaking bread with him once in Philly at Studiokitchen. It's one of my fondest memories of a meal well spent with a passionate and devoted fellow foodie. I look forward to my next opportunity to repeat the occasion. It's a rare pleasure indeed.

John, I wish you well in whatever endeavors are taking up your time. I hope to have the pleasure of your company again. Please let me know next time you're in close range. I'll happily rearrange my schedule to be able to raise a glass with you again.

Cheers!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Doc is indeed one of my favourite eGulleteers, and every time I see his moniker attached to a post I know it's worth reading, and any advice offered therein is worth taking. I very much hope there'll come a time when I can say I've eaten in so many legendary restaurants as John! Whenever I'm travelling to any destination (in Spain especially) Doc's writings are one of my first ports of call.

I trust you'll continue to post, but thanks for everything thusfar.

Si

Does this mean there's an opening for all the great events Docsconz went to!

Thanks John all your posts were great, giving great insights at Star Chefs, WD50, ideas in food, Studiokitchen and much more. I will miss searching for yours posts.

best wishes.

I greatly appreciate all the sentiments offered here and via PM. They are truly moving and I am deeply honored by them.

I must say, however, that I retired from being a host, which only means having given up administrative duties. I still plan on posting as I always have if perhaps not quite as prolifically. :wink::smile:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I can only imagine what four years as a volunteer administrator means. Frankly, I don't know how all of you do it. So, Doc, thanks for your behinds-the-scenes service that most of us never see, and I hope that this "early retirement" means that you'll have more time for the travel and posts that the rest of us enjoy so much.

Thank you, John! You are a gentleman and a doctor ... a dining doctor indeed ... :biggrin:

Mind you, there is one shortcoming on your part: I haven't seen you post any dining reports from Los Angeles area restaurants. IMHO, Los Angeles does have a few good restaurants, and I hope that you will take the opportunity to dine over in my part of the world (Yes, a little self-interest on my part) ...

Again, thank you, John, and Happy Dining!!

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Given his epic travels and tireless documentation of them, it's amazing that Doc had time for behind-the-scenes hosting duties. I'll join the others in this topic in extending thanks for his hard work, and hoping that we'll still get to tag-along on his journeys via his amazing travelogues.

I've had the pleasure of sharing dinner with Doc, and some of his family, on a couple of occasions, and they're as warm and generous as you might imagine from the posts you read here on eGullet. I certainly hope to break bread with them again, but more importantly, share dinners virtually, through his excellent photos and descriptions.

I hope retiring from the administrative end of eGullet will only give Doc more time to explore culinary delights near and far (and share them with us.)

Doc, thanks again for doing all the heavy lifting that we didn't see, as well as all the great posts we did. And we all eagerly await reports from your next adventure!

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Always a pleasure to read about all of your culinary adventures and insight, and you were always thoughtful to answer any questions concerning them. Congratulations and all the best.

Ryan Jaronik

Executive Chef

Monkey Town

NYC

John's incredible public record of posts speaks for itself, but most folks probably don't realize just how much he also did behind the scenes. We owe him a huge debt of gratitude for those countless hours of thankless, anonymous labor.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)