• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary Schools

ulterior epicure

... I have been gifted with a carte blanche 1 week (or 3-7 day) cooking program that has to happen this year. I've already scouted out both the CIA and Greystone. What other suggestions do you all have? Does F+W or Gourmet do anything worthwhile?

While I do want to "get my feet wet," I consider myself somewhat of a seasoned cook and baker - I'm beyond knife skills and pastry crusts. I want something comprehensive, lots of hands on, in-depth, and interesting, and preferably small; one-on-one would be amazing, but I doubt I'll find that.

While I don't think an international destination is do-able, I wouldn't be opposed to suggestions - especially if it is relatively close to the continental U.S. My constraint is more (vacation) time rather than $ at this point.

If this is the incorrect forum for this discussion, I would appreciate some direction. Thanks!

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I was in exactly in the same situation a couple of months ago (although pretty much constrained to Europe) and had trouble finding anything worthwile. If I were living in NY, I would have opted for the French Culinary Institutes evening program. Doesn't fit your specs, but looks like a very good option for the committed amateur cook.

Le Manoir aux Quat' Saisons in Oxford has week long courses. Expensive of course. I have no idea how much you will actually learn (probably depends a lot on the level of the other participants), but you will definitely eat a lot of good food.

Personally, I decided to go all out and will take Basic Intensive Cusine for six weeks at Le Cordon Bleu in London this spring. Yay! :blink: I will get the knife skills and pastry crust, but I'm sure both my skills and crust will be much improved...and that I will learn a lot of other things!

I was in exactly in the same situation a couple of months ago (although pretty much constrained to Europe) and had trouble finding anything worthwile. If I were living in NY, I would have opted for the French Culinary Institutes evening program. Doesn't fit your specs, but looks like a very good option for the committed amateur cook.

Le Manoir aux Quat' Saisons in Oxford has week long courses. Expensive of course. I have no idea how much you will actually learn (probably depends a lot on the level of the other participants), but you will definitely eat a lot of good food.

Personally, I decided to go all out and will take Basic Intensive Cusine for six weeks at Le Cordon Bleu in London this spring. Yay! :blink: I will get the knife skills and pastry crust, but I'm sure both my skills and crust will be much improved...and that I will learn a lot of other things!

Thanks Swede, I wish I were on your side of the puddle.

I actually thought about approaching some restaurants - either in New York or California. I dont' know if any of those chefs would be willing to sit down with me for a few days - I shudder to think what that might cost!

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

If you want to explore your interest in sweets further with this wonderful gift, I would recommend The Notter School. Either that or the pastry school in Chicago.

Edited to add that I found this program featuring Pierre Herme at the "French Pastry School". If I only could afford that, what an experience

Edited by joiei (log)

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Which side of North America are you on? Is it possible that any of the professional culinary schools nearby have a "serious amateur" section of their curriculum?

Smack dab in the middle. Either coast will be just as feasible.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Which side of North America are you on? Is it possible that any of the professional culinary schools nearby have a "serious amateur" section of their curriculum?

Smack dab in the middle. Either coast will be just as feasible.

Check out the Art Institute Schools. They have a variety of things going on in small doses like that. My aunt teaches at the Atlanta school and the culinary group is good and well equipped.