• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

pinot noir

Pablo Carrion

The only wine I've had from Spain that contains Pinot Noir is cava from Codorniu. But you're probably asking about something else. There are some producers (Mas Cargols, Rafael Bravo), but I haven't had any experience with them.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Spain is not know for Pinot Noir for one simple reason: climate.

It's just too hot to make a good Pinot. PN is a delicate grape and needs specific growing conditions or it just turns into grape jelly juice (as it does, frankly, in most of CA, where alcohol levels in PN are pushing 16-17%!). Thin-skinned and finicky, it tends to burn easily in the high levels of sunlight and heat Spain gets.

I know it is used in certain Cavas, but that's about it except for the rare bottlings which you seem to have found.

Cheers! :cool:

• 4 weeks later...

Carefull... I am the importer...

You need to try Torres Mas Borras Pinot Noir. You will be surprized unless you are a fan of a typical Pinot Noir from CA for the same price. It is a Single Vineyard wine.

Mas Borras: In Upper Penedès we find lands that give rise to one of the most delicate red varieties: Pinot Noir. These are 10 hectares of exclusive vineyard that produce our famous Mas Borrás wine. To obtain this precious variety we forego big harvests and look for plants with low yields. We age the wine in Nevers oak so

that each bottle may reach maturity with an extraordinary wine. Mas Borras has received awards such as the Wine Olympiad in Paris, 1985.

Spain is not know for Pinot Noir for one simple reason: climate. 

It's just too hot to make a good Pinot.  PN is a delicate grape and needs specific growing conditions or it just turns into grape jelly juice (as it does, frankly, in most of CA, where alcohol levels in PN are pushing 16-17%!).  Thin-skinned and finicky, it tends to burn easily in the high levels of sunlight and heat Spain gets.

I know it is used in certain Cavas, but that's about it except for the rare bottlings which you seem to have found.

Cheers!  :cool:

RAF

Carefull... I am the importer...

You need to try Torres Mas Borras Pinot Noir.  You will be surprized unless you are a fan of a typical Pinot Noir from CA for the same price.  It is a Single Vineyard wine.

Mas Borras: In Upper Penedès we find lands that give rise to one of the most delicate red varieties: Pinot Noir. These are 10 hectares of exclusive vineyard that produce our famous Mas Borrás wine. To obtain this precious variety we forego big harvests and look for plants with low yields. We age the wine in Nevers oak so

that each bottle may reach maturity with an extraordinary wine. Mas Borras has received awards such as the Wine Olympiad in Paris, 1985.

Hi Bob,

No offense intended, it's just that I never had a very good PN from Spain. I will look the ones you mention up, I would love to try them.

Cheers! :cool: