• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Houston] Fearless Critic Restaurant Guide

Kent Wang

Disclosure: My firm has been contracted to build the Fearless Critic website.

Fearless Critic Houston Restaurant Guide (website) is a print book that retails for $17.95. Our own Justin Yu (tetsujustin) is even one of the reviewers.

Having read the Austin book and having met with the editor Robin Goldstein many times I place a high degree of trust in the accuracy of the reviews. I found the reviews for Da Marco and Nippon to be spot on.

The reviews of the authentic Chinese restaurants is good, especially considering how little information there is on the subject from other sources. Justin's review of Fung's kitchen jives with my experience. The only disagreement that I've found is with Peking Cuisine, where my one meal there was quite poor -- the Peking duck was very dry.

• 2 weeks later...
The only disagreement that I've found is with Peking Cuisine, where my one meal there was quite poor -- the Peking duck was very dry.

Odd, I've had quite a few peking ducks in my life and the ones at Peking cuisine have never come out dry at all. When I reviewed it, I factored in the service/quality with the fact that you can get out of there, filled to the brim, under 12 bucks a head. The food is greasy but full of flavor. I guess that's how I like it. It's more or less a difference in personal taste, I'm Chinese, but am in no way from China.

Thanks for the shoutout though, I hope any person who's had a chance to look at the book likes it, but most of all, finds it useful.

Let me be the first to thank everyone from this forum, also, because I've found some of my favorite restaurants (that I highlight in the book) on this board (notably Himalaya) and hopefully those restaurants get a bigger following from it.

Happy eating.