• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cook what you know....

Mikeb19

Anyhow, as the Christmas season is over, and now the restaurant is closing in January, I've got time to contemplate stuff... And I was thinking about my career thus far, and some of the cooks I've worked with.

One thought that came to mind reading some posts about restaurant experiences and unsuccessful dishes, is that chefs really shouldn't try to cook over their heads... Chefs who don't know about a certain style of cuisine shouldn't attempt to be serving dishes from that style.

I remember one chef I worked for when I was an apprentice wanted to have perogies (varenyky) on the menu, but he had never made them (and probably never tasted good ones) before (and he was a super-talented French chef). He went through several unsuccessful attempts, until I just ended up making them myself (being half Ukrainian and VERY familiar with the cuisine).

Another is pastries - alot of chefs don't have the proper training, and simply can't execute their ideas. I worked at several restaurants as a pastry chef, and inherited some pretty weak menus. At one, they had no clue how to make iced creams or sorbets (iced creams had bad texture and taste, sorbets were very icey), not to mention they didn't have the proper storage. When I started, after tasting all the stuff I inherited, I promply got rid of everything I could, and started over.

And before I sound too cocky, I know very well what my own strengths and weaknesses are, and I cook what I know I can do perfectly, everytime. I don't understand any sort of Spanish food, mediterranean food, and I certainly don't attempt Japanese (I've worked with plenty of Japanese cooks, but still don't quite understand their cuisine or palate). As for my own strengths - I can cook Ukrainian food very well, I have great French/modern style technique, and I cook with the ingredients I know.

Just thought I'd share, it's somewhat upsetting when I go to a restaurant and taste a dish that the chef obviously had no business putting on his menu, or see a chef attempting a cuisine he doesn't even understand.

I enjoy dining at places where the Chef knows what he or she is doing.

I also however believe for Chef's to grow within this field that they should continue learning, trying and researching cuisines outside their comfort zone. How can they continue to keep us coming back for more if it always the same? Sometimes to get better they need to keep pushing their talents and taking chances. Otherwise I believe folks become stale and average.

I enjoy dining at places where the Chef knows what he or she is doing.

I also however believe for Chef's to grow within this field that they should continue learning, trying and researching cuisines outside their comfort zone.  How can they continue to keep us coming back for more if it always the same?  Sometimes to get better they need to keep pushing their talents and taking chances.  Otherwise I believe folks become stale and average.

That's all well and good, but they shouldn't be doing their learning on my dime. In other words, in their spare time, learn the new cuisine or technique or new ingredient and when it is perfected, by all means charge me a fair price for the meal.

I agree that chef's should only put out what they know, but I also agree that a good chef continues to learn and progress. The first chef I worked with was all over the place, and it could easily be hit or miss, either way it went on the menu (or as a special), I just wished she would pick a style and go with it.

The current chef I work for, is old school French, and that's what he sticks to. He's always expanding his repertoire though, getting more into charcuterie and smoking, but he melds it to his style. I've been teaching him some Thai recipes I learned while traveling, but it's not like he's going to stick it on the bistro menu.

I like the idea of research and development. They did a local story on Alinea - Grant Achatz here in Chicago. I was impressed when they mentioned most of what they do has been developed up to six months before it ever gets to a tasting.

Something like a certain ingredient may only be available for a month out of the year. So it's possible they are working on a menu a year in advance.

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats

That's all well and good, but they shouldn't be doing their learning on my dime.  In other words, in their spare time, learn the new cuisine or technique or new ingredient and when it is perfected, by all means charge me a fair price for the meal.

This is exactly right. If I want to experiment, I do it on my own time. Anything on the menu, is going to be perfect. The guests aren't guinea pigs. Chefs need to remember, we're cooking for other people, not cooking for our egos.